PDA

View Full Version : Landon Johnson to Panthers

Redhook
03-07-2008, 02:57 PM
Landon Johnson just signed with the Panthers. I'm not overly disappointed in this, but I did like his stability on defense. He was one of a few you could actually count on.

Does this leave the door open for Takeo Spikes to return to the Nati? I doubt it, but you never know.

NorrisHopper30
03-07-2008, 03:08 PM
We couldn't afford 3yr 10mm?

Buckeye33
03-07-2008, 03:16 PM
We couldn't afford 3yr 10mm?

The Bengals could have, but Johnson feels he'd have a better chance to start in Carolina. I'm guessing Johnson knows that Thurman is coming back, Brooks is a starter if healthy, and they just resigned Dhani Jones. As well, Pollack could come back, although he is more likely going to be a pass rusher only if he comes back.

Johnson's agent said the Bengals tried to match the offer, but his client decided to move on and play for Carolina.

CrackerJack
03-07-2008, 08:15 PM
The Bengals could have, but Johnson feels he'd have a better chance to start in Carolina. I'm guessing Johnson knows that Thurman is coming back, Brooks is a starter if healthy, and they just resigned Dhani Jones. As well, Pollack could come back, although he is more likely going to be a pass rusher only if he comes back.

Johnson's agent said the Bengals tried to match the offer, but his client decided to move on and play for Carolina.

Or, he simply didn't want to be here any longer.

After Landon's last 3 years here, why would he be worried about playing time considering the Bengals' have arguably the worst LB corps in the league? Thurman? The guy has been out of football for 2 years. Jeanty and Dhani Jones are his competition on the outside here though. Hardly a formidable duo.

Also if the Bengals didn't plan on starting him, why in the world would this frugal franchise offer him a sizeable contract offer? You know Brown would want to justify that salary.

He will have a harder time beating out Diggs in Carolina.

I really think he was just sick of it here. Watching stars punch out their coaching staff during their only playoff game, and get away with it, can't help any. I would get tired of the whole losing, circus atmosphere too.

guttle11
03-07-2008, 08:27 PM
He makes a lot of tackles, but they're 5-8 yards down the field. I think they'll miss him for depth reasons, but if the LB core is relatively healthy this year, he really won't be missed. There's 100 LBs in the league that can tackle after a 7 yard gain.

RollyInRaleigh
03-08-2008, 08:38 AM
He will have a harder time beating out Diggs in Carolina.

I don't think so.

CrackerJack
03-08-2008, 03:25 PM
I don't think so.

Why? Who for the Bengals at WLB is superior? If it's Dhani (who's a MLB at the moment depending on the status of Brooks and Thurman) why did no other teams even sniff him?

Johnson's the most estabished LB on this roster and wins a job every year. I'm not saying Diggs is all that these days, but that will be some competition for Landon versus what he'd get here - depending on how the draft pans out and other things.

RollyInRaleigh
03-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I've watched Diggs play and he has not been real good for the Panthers. Johnson is more the type of linebacker that John Fox likes. He brings some versatility to the position that Diggs doesn't offer any more. I'll be really surprised if he isn't in the starting lineup for the Panthers.

GoReds33
03-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I hope that Johnson does well in Carolina. He was a good linebacker here, and didn't get the attention he deserved. I wish we could have kept him, but hopefully his replacment does better than he did.

CrackerJack
03-12-2008, 09:22 PM
I've watched Diggs play and he has not been real good for the Panthers. Johnson is more the type of linebacker that John Fox likes. He brings some versatility to the position that Diggs doesn't offer any more. I'll be really surprised if he isn't in the starting lineup for the Panthers.

Yeah I don't doubt he'll start there, at least out of the gate.

I guess my point should be that given two fairly equal opportunities, he chose to leave - showing no loyalty to the team that drafted him and gave him all that PT to earn a new contract, and with the fair certainity of logging plenty of minutes at $3mm/yr. here.

Players with value really want out still, the Bengals' are still viewed as a slightly warmer version of Siberia. 2005 fooled TJ, Chad and Palmer - I think they've indirectly and directly admitted that with some of their comments and antics after last season.