PDA

View Full Version : Are Edwin's spring numbers anything to worry about?

jhiller21
03-13-2008, 11:56 PM
In 12 games, 27 ABs, he's hitting .185

5 hits, 5 walks, 5 strikeouts, 1 HR, 7 RBI

Despite the low average he has knocked in 7, which is pretty impressive. He seems to get the big hit when they need it.

But after a pretty good stint in winter ball with the Aguilas, I expected EE to show up big in spring.

The 3rd base job is his, but we certainly can't expect a slow start every year from a guy who plays winter ball (and tears it up).

mlbfan30
03-14-2008, 12:30 AM
Spring Training stats mean NOTHING unless possibly if the player slugs .200 higher than his career norm. Also, 25 at bats is such a small sample size anyway. That's like a week in the regular season.

fugowitribe
03-14-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey, maybe he is trying a little role-reversal with his hitting. Maybe this means he will actually hit well when it means something.

AmarilloRed
03-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Spring Training stats mean NOTHING unless possibly if the player slugs .200 higher than his career norm. Also, 25 at bats is such a small sample size anyway. That's like a week in the regular season.

Spring Training stats mean EVERYTHING if you are a young player looking to unseat a veteran starting position player. Edwin is already a starting third baseman, so I agree his slow start will not hurt him. I agree it is a small sample size.

CRedsLarkin11
03-14-2008, 08:21 AM
Spring Training stats mean EVERYTHING if you are a young player looking to unseat a veteran starting position player.

Unless you are Cueto and Bruce under Dusty Baker... :D It's a little early to be cracking on Dusty like this but hey, it's probably true

NorrisHopper30
03-14-2008, 08:37 AM
In 12 games, 27 ABs, he's hitting .185

5 hits, 5 walks, 5 strikeouts, 1 HR, 7 RBI

Despite the low average he has knocked in 7, which is pretty impressive. He seems to get the big hit when they need it.

But after a pretty good stint in winter ball with the Aguilas, I expected EE to show up big in spring.

The 3rd base job is his, but we certainly can't expect a slow start every year from a guy who plays winter ball (and tears it up).
6 of those RBI in one game :thumbup:.

It's ST for the guaranteed starters, they are probably just trying to get in the groove. No need to worry.