PDA

View Full Version : Trade rumor

TNREDSFAN
03-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Angels In Need Of Another Arm?
At the end of his most recent column Ken Rosenthal posits a nightmare scenario for the Angles, going back to 2001 when the Mariners cracked out to a 20-4 start to seize the AL West crown before May Day. With John Lackey and Kelvim Escobar on the shelf for at least 4-6 weeks, should the Angels be concerned going into 2008? Is a move to pick up an extra starter in order?

The team is looking at filling 14-16 starts. With a surplus of outfielders the Angels are certainly in position to make a move. They could opt for a back of rotation innings eater like the Brewers Chris Capuano or the Reds' Matt Belisle. Or, the team could really make a splash and dive head first into the Joe Blanton sweepstakes. David Bush might fill out the rotation nicely, through April and beyond.

Another possibility is a move toward the scrap heap, which got a slight upgrade this past week with the addition of Horacio Ramirez. Think Horacio might like a shot at the April 11 contest up at Safeco? How about reuniting brothers Jeff and Jared Weaver for one last sentimental run? And then there's always the possibility of getting Southern Cali comfort David Wells off the couch for a month or two of solid work.

The LA Times sees General Manager Tony Reagins looking in-house to try and bridge the gap. Lefty Joe Saunders and righty Ervin Santana become your No. 3 and 4 starters, and Dustin Moseley, who made eight starts for the team in 2007, becomes your No. 5. Pencil in young gun Nick Adenhart for an outside shot at getting some innings, if not as a starter possibly as a long-reliever.

Aaron Shinsano writes for East Windup Chronicle.

HalMorrisRules
03-17-2008, 09:57 AM
In my best Henny Youngman voice (kids look him up on wikipedia)

"Take my Belisle, please!"

justincredible
03-17-2008, 10:52 AM
So we send them Belisle, what do we get in return? What else does it take to get Willits?

Nasty_Boy
03-17-2008, 12:17 PM
So we send them Belisle, what do we get in return? What else does it take to get Willits?

Yea, we need another speedy/scrappy guy for the fans to fall in love with. :D:D:D:D

ChatterRed
03-17-2008, 12:28 PM
It's a non-issue. I'd rather keep Belisle. The Angels won't trade anything of value for him, so what's the point? I'd rather take a chance on Belisle finally panning out then acquiring another utility player.

justincredible
03-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Yea, we need another speedy/scrappy guy for the fans to fall in love with. :D:D:D:D

Willits is what Freel wishes he could be. Speedy/scrappy, and not an idiot on the field. :)

Nasty_Boy
03-17-2008, 01:04 PM
Willits is what Freel wishes he could be. Speedy/scrappy, and not an idiot on the field. :)

True, but I don't see Willits having a job in Cincy past this season. But then again if Dunn isn't resigned and Jr's option isn't picked up and Freel is trade... and so on.

justincredible
03-17-2008, 02:03 PM
True, but I don't see Willits having a job in Cincy past this season. But then again if Dunn isn't resigned and Jr's option isn't picked up and Freel is trade... and so on.

If Griffey isn't around next season I wouldn't mind putting Bruce in RF and having Willits for CF. He'd finally give the team a true lead-off hitter.

Simms11
03-17-2008, 02:11 PM

Or off it :beerme:

justincredible
03-17-2008, 02:23 PM
Or off it :beerme:

Yeah, that too. :D

Va Red Fan
03-17-2008, 04:40 PM
I doubt the Angles want to pull the trigger now. I think it would be wise for them to wait.

Oxilon
03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
The Angels want Belisle? I don't even know if the dude has any value. I think he'd be more valuable to us just keeping him in the bullpen rather shipping him off in return for more "scrappiness."

JayBruce4HOF
03-17-2008, 05:03 PM
We're not a good partner for the Angels in this scenario. We don't have any true "MLB quality" arms that we need to be getting rid of.

REDblooded
03-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Belisle, Maloney, and Waring.

Give me Brandon Wood please.

sweetsport06
03-17-2008, 05:29 PM
the angels would be idiots to give up brandon wood for so little. like previously said keeping belisle and moving him to the bullpen even would present more value than trading him. im not to big of a fan for matt maloney either. but im pretty sure they wouldnt have much a use for him anyway. the angels have plenty of good unexpierenced arms they might as well give a shot at if that was the case. besides with the 16 homeruns brandon waringe pulled off in such few at-bats last year, the stellar average, and so on he has to much potential to excel past where juan francisco should of been years ago this year. lastly if we had a shot at anyone we might be able to get sean rodriguez. that kid can flat out hit. i'd seriously consider putting him about brandon wood at the plate. but we dont need a shortstop anyone. we got paul janish. and we got chris valaika, and we got jerry gil, and yea yea. but we would be idiots to give up belisle even for reggie willitis. it has already been stated the angels dont want to trade him, for some reason none you can get that through your heads and accept it though. but we got daniel dorn, we got chris dickerson, we got dennis phipps, we got haha phipps, we got carson kainer, and drew stubbs, and jay bruce, and chris heisley. i really like him. if we have any leaderoff hitter in our system, heisey is it. so yea thats about it.

REDblooded
03-17-2008, 09:10 PM
the angels would be idiots to give up brandon wood for so little. like previously said keeping belisle and moving him to the bullpen even would present more value than trading him. im not to big of a fan for matt maloney either. but im pretty sure they wouldnt have much a use for him anyway. the angels have plenty of good unexpierenced arms they might as well give a shot at if that was the case. besides with the 16 homeruns brandon waringe pulled off in such few at-bats last year, the stellar average, and so on he has to much potential to excel past where juan francisco should of been years ago this year. lastly if we had a shot at anyone we might be able to get sean rodriguez. that kid can flat out hit. i'd seriously consider putting him about brandon wood at the plate. but we dont need a shortstop anyone. we got paul janish. and we got chris valaika, and we got jerry gil, and yea yea. but we would be idiots to give up belisle even for reggie willitis. it has already been stated the angels dont want to trade him, for some reason none you can get that through your heads and accept it though. but we got daniel dorn, we got chris dickerson, we got dennis phipps, we got haha phipps, we got carson kainer, and drew stubbs, and jay bruce, and chris heisley. i really like him. if we have any leaderoff hitter in our system, heisey is it. so yea thats about it.

This made me dizzy..... so I stopped reading it.

sweetsport06
03-17-2008, 09:19 PM
yea its too lengthy and too opinionated. dont blame you.

JayBruce4HOF
03-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Separate paragraphs, proper capitalization, and proper grammar are your friends. ;)

jmac
03-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Actually this shows maybe the reds "are" improving in the pitching dept.
Coming into this season, Belisle was considered a "lock" for the #3 spot despite having a 5+ era.
In ST, Belisle has pitched to about ther same level and now he is fighting to probably get the #5 spot.
This rotation sure beats the Hamilton(Joey),Anderson,Haynes etc of the past.

sweetsport06
03-17-2008, 11:34 PM
To start out why not go with a prospect from Krivskys' favorite trading acquantinence, the Minnesota Twins.
Eduardo Morlan
W L ERA G GS SV IP H ER HR BB SO BAA
2 1 2.60 16 0 8 27.2 18 8 0 3 39 .175

High strikeouts and stunning control are a plus but his numbers as a starter last year are just as good if not better and he is only 21.

W L ERA G GS SV IP H ER HR BB SO BAA
5 5 2.29 28 18 2 106 78 27 6 38 125 .202

A second strong candiate pitching wise is Michael Zagurski from Philly. Numbers really show on this 24 year old lefty as he has yet to allow a HR in his minor league carrier. Not only that but he has averaged 16.875 K/9 so far this year.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=489448

With the lack of sufficient catching prospects a seemingly quick fix could be as easy as the Rangers Taylor Teagarden who in his first full season this year has maintained a .333 average while knocking out 9HR in only 108AB.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=460003

The Mariners hold a second option as a catcher with Jeff Clement as his progression from AAA is prevented by Kenji Johjima. His increasingly diminishing value due to his stubborness leave him swinging for little more than power alone at the plate. This combined with an unsuprising .244 BA would likely keep Krivsky from wanting him. Regardless his power potential and potentially low asking price are to much to pass up.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=459943

One of the most reasonable to acquire and probably the easiest would be Neil Walker of the Pirates. Walking away with impressive prospect Brent Lillibridge in the Adam LaRoche deal last year proves the Pirates will deal about anyone away for the right price, which in most cases is little to nothing. Walker is not only a switch-hitter but also posses smooth line drive skills. Converted to third from catcher he is in route to vault up prospect lists soon.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=435522

Other notable mentions include:
SS Sean Rodriguez LAD
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=446481
RHP Dellin Betances NYY
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=476454
RHP Kevin Slowey MIN
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=458713
RHP Angelo Morales KC
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=460593
1B Joe Mather STL
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=458628

stopping short but the list could go on forever.