PDA

View Full Version : Fay - Freel being shopped?? My trade thoughts.

Redsnake
03-18-2008, 05:12 PM
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2008/03/rumors-mill.asp

Offer Freel, Belisle and A baller to Seattle for Johjima. Seattle has super prospect Jeff Clement in the waiting. I would rather target Clement, but Seattle would not go for it.

Just a thought.

JayBruce4HOF
03-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Don't know if that would be enough, but the Reds absolutely MUST improve their catching situation b/c it currently sucks badly.

steig
03-18-2008, 05:45 PM
what about seeking Benji Molina away from the Giants.

GoReds33
03-18-2008, 06:53 PM
Molina's a good catcher, but I think the Giants would ask too much for a 33 year old catcher that's going downhill.

mlbfan30
03-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Johjima is a FA after this year. Also Seattle has a full rotation and don't need Belisle. They also have a full OF and don't need Freel. There are no needs for Seattle that fit the Reds.

Just sign Piazza. It's that simple. He can be a RH pinch hitter off the bench, and probably a decent one. He's no worse than Valentine or Bako behind the plate, and he's actually very good at handling pitchers. Seriously.... would anyone rather have Bako over Piazza?

Hondo
03-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Ya know, signing Piazza sort of makes sense... Would split up the leftys... Giving the Reds another Right Handed Power bat other than Phillips...

But he is probably holding out for like 8 Million a Year

GoReds33
03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Ya know, signing Piazza sort of makes sense... Would split up the leftys... Giving the Reds another Right Handed Power bat other than Phillips...

But he is probably holding out for like 8 Million a YearI don't think he'd waid this long, and still be looking for that kind of money. I think he'll settle about where Kyle Lohse did.

Nasty_Boy
03-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Piazza also has quite a bit of experience at 1st base if Votto struggles against southpaws. I just don't like the thought of Piazza and Javy as the catchers. Teams would run on them all day.

AdamDunn
03-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Piazza also has quite a bit of experience at 1st base if Votto struggles against southpaws. I just don't like the thought of Piazza and Javy as the catchers. Teams would run on them all day.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=2770&context=fielding

Checkout Piazza's caught stealing percentages for his career. Not pretty.

bearcatfan24
03-18-2008, 10:49 PM
Piazza was not a very good defensive first baseman in his limited experience there.

mlbfan30
03-18-2008, 11:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=2770&context=fielding

Checkout Piazza's caught stealing percentages for his career. Not pretty.

And now the others...
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3829&context=fielding
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=5206&context=fielding
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3754&context=fielding

Notice the CERA also.

JWP
03-19-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but what about trading Bailey for Jarrod Saltalamacchia?

Salty is pretty good defensively, and can swing the stick pretty well. The Rangers will definitely be looking for pitching any way that they could get it, and I'm sure they'd jump at a chance to get Bailey.

AmarilloRed
03-19-2008, 12:43 AM
From Rotoworld:

According to the Cincinnati Enquirer, the Reds are actively seeking a catcher and could offer Ryan Freel.
The Reds want some help because of Dave Ross's injury, and Freel, who is owed $7 million over the next two years, has been available since the end of last season. About the only Freel-for-catching deal that would make sense would have him go to San Diego for Michael Barrett. No other team has both an expendable catcher and a need for Freel in their lineup. Perhaps the Reds should simply sign Mike Piazza. They're in a division that doesn't do a lot of basestealing anyway.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=MLB&filter_teams=CIN

Injuries curtailed Barrett's career, but he could be a good catcher if he can recover from the injuries

Moosie52
03-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Is there any major league catcher with a huge contract that some team would like to unload? Taking on a big contract is probably the only way the Reds will find someone to take Freel.

Natty Redlocks
03-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Injuries curtailed Barrett's career, but he could be a good catcher if he can recover from the injuries

Injuries from Zambrano's fist?
Yeah, that's just what they need, a catcher so bad his pitcher beat the crap out of him and got him kicked off the team. If you want yet another reason for Cubs fans to laugh at the Reds, Barrett would be a great idea.

TheBigLebowski
03-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Piazza is done catching. Even when he was younger he was horrible at it. Piazza is a DH/part-time 1B/PH at this point in his career and nothing more. Signing Piazza to address catching needs is tantamount to running your AC on high during a North Pole winter.

bounty37h
03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Johjima is a FA after this year. Also Seattle has a full rotation and don't need Belisle. They also have a full OF and don't need Freel. There are no needs for Seattle that fit the Reds.

Just sign Piazza. It's that simple. He can be a RH pinch hitter off the bench, and probably a decent one. He's no worse than Valentine or Bako behind the plate, and he's actually very good at handling pitchers. Seriously.... would anyone rather have Bako over Piazza?

Yes, I would rather have anyone that knows how to put the equip on over Piazza, esp at this point in his career. I would rather bring Larue back over Piazza to be honest, and I dont want Larue anywhere near Cincy.

Va Red Fan
03-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Barrett is not a horrible catcher. Zambrano going nuts should not be put on his shoulders. If I remember correctly Zamnutso went crazy and punched him. Barrett is not a long term answer but a possible stop gap measure.

JayBruce4HOF
03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Injuries from Zambrano's fist?
Yeah, that's just what they need, a catcher so bad his pitcher beat the crap out of him and got him kicked off the team. If you want yet another reason for Cubs fans to laugh at the Reds, Barrett would be a great idea.

:lol:

Cubs fans laughing at US?

Anytime a Scrubs fan even looks at me wrong, they're incredibly easy to smack down.

All it takes is four numbers: 1-9-0-8.

roby
03-19-2008, 01:17 PM
I vote for trying to get Hernandez from Baltimore. He is good both offensively and defensively...and would be a nice right-handed bat in the Reds line-up.

Natty Redlocks
03-19-2008, 05:13 PM
:lol:

Cubs fans laughing at US?

Anytime a Scrubs fan even looks at me wrong, they're incredibly easy to smack down.

All it takes is four numbers: 1-9-0-8.

I would've agreed with you, until the Reds went and hired the dumbest manager available.

NorrisHopper30
03-19-2008, 05:33 PM
I would've agreed with you, until the Reds went and hired the dumbest manager available.

You'd rather have Narron or Miley? At least the players respect and will listen to Baker.

chettt
03-20-2008, 09:01 AM
The LA Dodgers are in need of a quick fix at 3rd base. Andy LaRoche has been injured all of spring training & now Nomar has a broken bone in his right hand (hbp). Freel????? ...just another option