PDA

View Full Version : TJ to join Chad in the "no show" category

Matt700wlw
03-19-2008, 11:38 PM
NFL.com:

Cincinnati wide receiver Chad Johnson already has stated he does not plan to attend the Bengals' voluntary offseason conditioning program that starts Monday.

But he is not going to be alone.

Cincinnati’s other Pro Bowl wide receiver, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, also is expected to skip the start of the voluntary conditioning program for some of the same reasons Johnson is not attending.

It sets up one of the stickiest situations in the NFL, an issue that threatens to hang over the team until and through training camp.

Cincinnati has two Pro Bowl wide receivers, each of whom believes he is underpaid, each of whom wants a new deal, each of whom is expected to be absent from Paul Brown Stadium for the start of Monday’s offseason drills.

Houshmandzadeh is in the final year of four-year contract that is scheduled to pay him a base salary of $2.525 million. He failed to show up to the Bengals' offseason conditioning program last season and, without a new deal before this year’s offseason conditioning program, Houshmandzadeh is not about to attend now. It is the reason he is not expected Monday or anytime shortly thereafter.

Cincinnati already has wrestled with the best way to handle the Johnson situation; it has made it known to any team that calls the team that the Bengals will not, under any circumstance, trade Johnson. They refuse to 86 "85." So now the Bengals are assured of having at least one unhappy wide receiver.

The interesting part is, will they have two? Unlike Johnson, Houshmandzadeh never has had his deal restructured in Cincinnati. Unlike Johnson, who has three years left on his contract, Houshmandzadeh has only one.

If Cincinnati spends on any Pro Bowl wide receiver, it would seem that Houshmandzadeh has next.

But Houshmandzadeh and Johnson appear to have made their decision in regard to next week and this offseason. It’s up to the Bengals to make theirs.

WMR
03-19-2008, 11:41 PM
:lol:

Awesome "team" we've got here.

KoryMac5
03-20-2008, 12:03 AM
I won't be losing any sleep over voluntary workouts.

KoryMac5
03-20-2008, 12:06 AM
deleted double post

WMR
03-20-2008, 12:06 AM
"Thrilled" with the Bengals?? Really??

WMR
03-20-2008, 12:07 AM
We have become the fanbase of low expectations.

Redhook
03-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Ssssuper! :thumbup:

The Reds are predicted to be around a .500 club, yet I'm much more optimistic about them than I am with the Bengals.

The Bengals are a mess. A big one. They have so many holes, question marks, bad attitudes, the worst owner, a terrible coach, etc. Where do I stop? Besides Carson, is there anything to look forward to?

The next month or so could make or break the next few years in my opinion. They have to draft the right players. No RB's, WR's, etc. They have plenty, yet I see them drafting one or both of those positions in the first 3 rounds. If they do, expect this team to go back to their years of ineptitude.

joshnky
03-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Didn't TJ skip voluntaries last year as well? Much ado about nothing, IMO.

joshnky
03-20-2008, 08:25 AM
They refuse to 86 "85."

I bet the author felt pretty proud of himself in coming up with that line.

RedsManRick
03-20-2008, 11:14 AM
You've got to love non-guaranteed contracts -- everybody feels scared and looks out only for themselves...

Oxilon
03-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Voluntary works are garbage anyways, with the exception to rookies and other practice squad filler. I mean, Strahan missed out on everything, even most of preseason, and he only dominated like he usually does. CJ and TJ are both veterans who are Pro Bowl caliber players; they have the ability to turn the switch on when games actually matter.

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-20-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm beginning to feel sorry for Carson Palmer--Yeah, he's rich but a career doomed for nothingness.

LoganBuck
03-20-2008, 06:32 PM
You've got to love non-guaranteed contracts -- everybody feels scared and looks out only for themselves...

If they only applied to Juan Castro and Mike Stanton.

GoReds33
03-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I'm beginning to feel sorry for Carson Palmer--Yeah, he's rich but a career doomed for nothingness.I don't feel sorry for him. The Bengals gave him a chance to compete, and he did his best. He was given two of the top recievers, and an above average running back. Even with that, the offense didn't score the points it was capable of. He underperformed this year, and that's one of the many reasons the Bengals aren't in the Super Bowl.

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-20-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't feel sorry for him. The Bengals gave him a chance to compete, and he did his best. He was given two of the top recievers, and an above average running back. Even with that, the offense didn't score the points it was capable of. He underperformed this year, and that's one of the many reasons the Bengals aren't in the Super Bowl.

I'm just talking about the self-absorbed morons he has to work with.

CrackerJack
03-20-2008, 07:40 PM
I'm beginning to feel sorry for Carson Palmer--Yeah, he's rich but a career doomed for nothingness.

Probably why he likes golf so much.

2 star veteran leaders and 2 of the 3 best players on the team skipping voluntaries, just says a lot about the culture at PBS - look out for yourself and grab a paycheck.

Redhook
03-20-2008, 07:59 PM
Probably why he likes golf so much.

2 star veteran leaders and 2 of the 3 best players on the team skipping voluntaries, just says a lot about the culture at PBS - look out for yourself and grab a paycheck.

Exactly. The leaders on this team are non-existent.

On the bright side, Carson likes golf and I'm a golf instructor. Anyone have his email address? I'd give him lessons for free. I'd charge Chad double. ;)

GoReds33
03-20-2008, 08:13 PM
I'm just talking about the self-absorbed morons he has to work with.With any hope the Bengals will strip all the bad eggs again, like they did when Marvin first got here. It'd be great if we could get rid of Chad. There are more players to get rid of, but I don't know the full story on T.J. yet.

TeamSelig
03-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Wonder how many draft picks we could pick up for those two.