PDA

View Full Version : McBeth, Anderson, Bruce out ... any more?

FreelFanatic
03-20-2008, 02:32 PM
Just got a text from MLB.com ...

The Reds have optioned RHP Marcus McBeth and OF Drew T. Anderson to Triple-A Louisville.

Being that they need to cut like 23 more people, is this all that's happened today? Rosecrans and Fay are mum as of now ...

FreelFanatic
03-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Mods, can you change the title (ADD BRUCE)

this just in, from a Rob Butcher email:

... and reassigned to minor league camp RHP Josh Roenicke, RHP Tom Shearn and OF Jay Bruce

IamWallaman
03-20-2008, 02:39 PM
According to C Trent:

Today the Reds optioned to Class AAA Louisville OF Drew T. Anderson and RHP Marcus McBeth and reassigned to minor league camp RHP Josh Roenicke, RHP Tom Shearn and OF Jay Bruce…the Reds have 44 players remaining in camp, including LHP Bobby Livingston (left shoulder injury) and SS Alex Gonzalez (left knee).

See you in a couple months, Jay... (and probably Josh/Marcus)

FreelFanatic
03-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Current State of the Roster, sitting currently at 44:

PITCHERS (21 + 1 DL)
40-man (16)
Affeldt, Arroyo, Bailey, Belisle, Bray, Burton, Capellan, Coffey, Cordero, Coutlangus, Fogg, Harang, Majewski, Stanton, Volquez, Weathers
Non-roster (5)
Brower, Cueto, Lincoln, Mercker, Sauerbeck
60-day DL (1)
Livingston

CATCHERS (5)
40-man (3)
Hanigan, Ross, Valentin
Non-roster (2)
Bako, Colina

INFIELDERS (12)
40-man (7)
Castro, Encarnacion, Gonzalez, Hatteberg, Keppinger, Brandon Phillips, Votto
Non-roster (5)
Cabrera, Gil, Green, Hairston, Andy Phillips

OUTFIELDERS (5)
40-man (4)
Dunn, Freel, Griffey, Hopper
Non-roster (1)
Patterson

ChatterRed
03-20-2008, 03:09 PM
Mods, can you change the title (ADD BRUCE)

this just in, from a Rob Butcher email:

... and reassigned to minor league camp RHP Josh Roenicke, RHP Tom Shearn and OF Jay Bruce

Well, Dusty just solidified himself as an idiot in my book.

I'll see you in a couple of months when the Reds are in last place and they bring Bruce up and then they make a run, but it's too late and everyone on the board will be crying in their wheaties. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :thumbup:

ChatterRed
03-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Current State of the Roster, sitting currently at 44:

PITCHERS (22 + 1 DL)
40-man (16)
Affeldt, Arroyo, Bailey, Belisle, Bray, Burton, Capellan, Coffey, Cordero, Coutlangus, Fogg, Harang, Majewski, Stanton, Volquez, Weathers
Non-roster (6)
Brower, Cueto, Lincoln, Mercker, Salmon, Sauerbeck
60-day DL (1)
Livingston

CATCHERS (5)
40-man (3)
Hanigan, Ross, Valentin
Non-roster (2)
Bako, Colina

INFIELDERS (12)
40-man (7)
Castro, Encarnacion, Gonzalez, Hatteberg, Keppinger, Brandon Phillips, Votto
Non-roster (5)
Cabrera, Gil, Green, Hairston, Andy Phillips

OUTFIELDERS (5)
40-man (4)
Dunn, Freel, Griffey, Hopper
Non-roster (1)
Patterson

I thought Salmon got traded?

Orenda
03-20-2008, 03:17 PM
John Patterson was just released by the nationals, surprising considering their lack of pitching depth.

FreelFanatic
03-20-2008, 03:48 PM
I thought Salmon got traded?

Oh indeed, I did not make that update. Make it 43 total players, and check out my reason for editing above.

mlbfan30
03-20-2008, 04:54 PM
My Post March 3rd, when Patterson was signed...

Dusty has said many things that infer he's against Bruce in CF.

- Saying he wants Patterson/Lofton before ST
- Saying he wants to take it slow with Bruce's development, citing Patterson's struggles from coming up too soon.
- Saying he wants Hopper or Freel leading off
- Saying he was "experimenting" when Bruce finally played CF and lead off
- Saying he has to be careful with Bruce in CF from all that running hurting his legs
- Saying he thinks Dickerson could have the highest ceiling in camp.
- Saying Bruce has to prove he can hit in batting cages before hitting in games

All of these things have been anti-Bruce. He's saying better things about Janish/Rosales/Dickerson/Gil/etc than he is Bruce.

What Patterson does is give Baker a "tangable" reason for putting Bruce in AAA. Now he can say Bruce isn't ready and Patterson is a great defensive and speedy guy, and get away with it. Baker won't have both Patterson and Bruce on the roster, and that's a fact. Krivsky, I would hope, would not let Bruce be a bench player.

From an outside look, Patterson is a low risk high ceiling move. But the only way for it to actually work would be if he made the team. That means Bruce starts in AAA.

Does anyone here think Patterson is better than Bruce? I think everyone says No, right? Then that means the Reds don't field the best possible team to compete in 08.

Yeah... that's exactly what happened.

captainmorgan07
03-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Bruce didnt' exactly go out and win the job in spring training. He had a decent spring but not better than hopper or freel. Patterson has been hot since he's been playing. There's no harm in getting the kid a few more atbats in AAA. Let him get his feet wet somemore. We need a leadoff hitter out of the cf position and bruce doesn't fit that build. He will replace Griffey in right whenever jr. leaves or retires.

mlbfan30
03-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Bruce didnt' exactly go out and win the job in spring training. He had a decent spring but not better than hopper or freel. Patterson has been hot since he's been playing. There's no harm in getting the kid a few more atbats in AAA. Let him get his feet wet somemore. We need a leadoff hitter out of the cf position and bruce doesn't fit that build. He will replace Griffey in right whenever jr. leaves or retires.

No... we don't. We don't need a "leadoff" hitter, and other positions besides CF can be used for leadoff. I've tried to point this out since February. Baker is stuck on the idea of CF=leadoff, and SS=2nd. It's in all his lineup constructions since 1993.

We need the BEST PLAYER at each position. Order comes after. Playing an inferior player just because you don't have a typical leadoff hitter is wrong, and that's what Baker is doing. Playing Patterson leadoff is even worse considering his sub .300 OBP.

Use Votto as the leadoff hitter since he does everything a leadoff hitter should do.

Natty Redlocks
03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
No... we don't. We don't need a "leadoff" hitter, and other positions besides CF can be used for leadoff. I've tried to point this out since February. Baker is stuck on the idea of CF=leadoff, and SS=2nd. It's in all his lineup constructions since 1993.

We need the BEST PLAYER at each position. Order comes after. Playing an inferior player just because you don't have a typical leadoff hitter is wrong, and that's what Baker is doing. Playing Patterson leadoff is even worse considering his sub .300 OBP.

Use Votto as the leadoff hitter since he does everything a leadoff hitter should do.

Amen bro. Though I could live with Patterson if he batted 7th; his defense should be helpful between Dunn and Jr. Bruce will be in RF soon enough.

mlbfan30
03-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Amen bro. Though I could live with Patterson if he batted 7th; his defense should be helpful between Dunn and Jr. Bruce will be in RF soon enough.

Also this notion that Bruce can't play CF is wrong also. He's played CF his entire career. He feels more comfortable playing CF. He would be an average CF and probably better than Freel and Hopper. Maximize his value and give him a chance to prove himself. Instead Baker gave him like 4 starts in CF and the rest in RF. He wasn't even given a chance.

GoReds33
03-20-2008, 06:49 PM
Also this notion that Bruce can't play CF is wrong also. He's played CF his entire career. He feels more comfortable playing CF. He would be an average CF and probably better than Freel and Hopper. Maximize his value and give him a chance to prove himself. Instead Baker gave him like 4 starts in CF and the rest in RF. He wasn't even given a chance.Better defensivly than Hopper or Freel? I don't know. Freel and Hopper both cover tons of ground, and Bruce doesn't. Still, if center is the only open spot, I would have no problem with Bruce playing there.

mlbfan30
03-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Better defensivly than Hopper or Freel? I don't know. Freel and Hopper both cover tons of ground, and Bruce doesn't. Still, if center is the only open spot, I would have no problem with Bruce playing there.

Have you seen Bruce play CF consistently?
Both Freel and Hopper take bad routes to the ball, and both have very weak arms. Freel had one of the worst arms in baseball last year. Freel also is an injury risk to Dunn and Griffey.

The scouts say Bruce will eventually play in RF, but that's in 3-5 years. Bruce is a quality CF right now, and he should be playing where he best helps the team, and thats CF.

GoReds33
03-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Have you seen Bruce play CF consistently?
Both Freel and Hopper take bad routes to the ball, and both have very weak arms. Freel had one of the worst arms in baseball last year. Freel also is an injury risk to Dunn and Griffey.

The scouts say Bruce will eventually play in RF, but that's in 3-5 years. Bruce is a quality CF right now, and he should be playing where he best helps the team, and thats CF.I did get to see him in some games last year at Spring training. At that time, he looked like he didn't know the right routes either. Still, I wouldn't say that Freel had one of the worst arms in baseball. He plays relativly shallow, so his arm doesn't need to be like Hamilton's. Griffey is an injury risk to himself, and Dunn is an injury risk to the ball, and to other players. I don't think Freel will be hurting Dunn anytimg soon.

captainmorgan07
03-20-2008, 07:36 PM
I'll agree with the earlier statement of freel and hopper taking bad routes to balls but doesn't everybody take a bad route to a ball now and then. Freel plays so shallow because he has enough speed to get to anything over his head. Centerfielders aren't known for having big arms anyway. There needed to cover ground. Right Field is where you'd like to have your best arm in the outfield.

Stephenk29
03-20-2008, 09:19 PM
How in the world can they be among the cuts already? Bruce isn't among the top 30 in camp? Being one of the last cut is one thing, but not beating some of those other guys? Ridiculous. Am I missing something here?

mlbfan30
03-20-2008, 09:48 PM
How in the world can they be among the cuts already? Bruce isn't among the top 30 in camp? Being one of the last cut is one thing, but not beating some of those other guys? Ridiculous. Am I missing something here?

Yes you are Dusty

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-20-2008, 10:22 PM
krivsky was on with stammering Seg on WLW about 6:15 tonight..said Bruce was sent down because "He needed to work on some things"...Seg asked him what some of those things were and I think it actually caught Krivsky by surprise because he basically couldnt answer the question.

Jack Burton
03-21-2008, 01:46 PM
This is upsetting news. So basically we brought in patty so we could send down bruce? Stupid.