PDA

View Full Version : Nice ESPN Piece on Cueto

REDblooded
03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3304727&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab3pos1

SARASOTA, Fla. -- How can you tell when a pitcher has inspired a scout to awaken from his somnambulant spring-training state?

When he bolts to attention as his radar gun begins to rattle. And, especially, when he then feels the need to start texting the gun numbers to his disbelieving friends.

"94-mph 2-seam ... 96 4-seam ... 96, 95, 94, 95, 94 ... 95 fb, 88 sli (slider), 87 sli, 96, 88 sli, 86 (change)."

The vignette we just described is true. Those text-message excerpts? Also 100 percent true. The scout will remain nameless. The pitcher who provoked this text-a-thon? He will not remain nameless.

Johnny Cueto could begin the regular season in the Reds' starting rotation.
That name, for future reference: Reds pitcher Johnny Cueto. Remember it. We'll help you remember it, in fact, by naming him the 21-year-old captain of our 2008 Spring Training All-Eye-Popper Team.

GoReds33
03-21-2008, 04:27 PM
Maybe this scout hasn't read the scouting reports on Cueto recently. These numbers are what we all know about him. Actually, I expected to see the 4 seam at about 97-98 at times. That's what people say he can do.

The article mentions his changeup at 86. Now not to be picky, but that's not much difference from his normal fastball. The great pitchers usually have a 15 or so MPH difference. Maybe he and Soto should spend a bit more time together.

REDblooded
03-21-2008, 05:21 PM
make sure you click the link..... I only quoted about a third of what was said.

Also talks about Volquez if you read on.

mound_patrol
03-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Maybe this scout hasn't read the scouting reports on Cueto recently. These numbers are what we all know about him. Actually, I expected to see the 4 seam at about 97-98 at times. That's what people say he can do.

The article mentions his changeup at 86. Now not to be picky, but that's not much difference from his normal fastball. The great pitchers usually have a 15 or so MPH difference. Maybe he and Soto should spend a bit more time together.

Actually 8 to 10 MPH's off his fastball is plenty for differential. If you get too much off your fastball it can give the hitter time to adjust his swing if he is fooled.

REDblooded
03-21-2008, 05:39 PM
the read coming into this season was that Cueto threw 92-93 with the ability to dial up to 97 when necessary. That being said, it would seem a bit of a suprise to see him sitting 95-96 more consistently.

kentjett
03-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I think his best attribute is his competitive spirit, he wants to be something special and thats the attitude that makes a great pitcher. I'm kind of worried about his arm though, he is 5'10 and throws 97 mph. It seems like that would make for some arm problems in the future.

GoReds33
03-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I think his best attribute is his competitive spirit, he wants to be something special and thats the attitude that makes a great pitcher. I'm kind of worried about his arm though, he is 5'10 and throws 97 mph. It seems like that would make for some arm problems in the future.Yeah, but he doesn't always throw 100%. Some pitchers that small get in trouble because they try to compensate for their lack of size by using their arm too much. Cueto doesn't always throw 97 like he can, and usually hovers in the 92-94 range. If he continues this, it should help his durability for the future.

mound_patrol
03-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Yeah, but he doesn't always throw 100%. Some pitchers that small get in trouble because they try to compensate for their lack of size by using their arm too much. Cueto doesn't always throw 97 like he can, and usually hovers in the 92-94 range. If he continues this, it should help his durability for the future.

He can also throw with that velocity with little effort in his mechanics...I'd be worried if he was a max effort guy like Tim Lincecum.