PDA

View Full Version : Hamliton trade

Jim Fazio
03-23-2008, 07:58 PM
I will probably be in the minority about this, but I would have never made the Hamilton deal. In my opinion, you don't trade an every day player with the skills of Hamilton for a pitcher who will play every 5 days and not even an ace. I hope I'm wrong but Hamilton is going to have a great year and were just hopeful Volquez makes our rotation, which is suspect at best.

RedR8R
03-23-2008, 08:15 PM
It was a tough call because Hamilton showed tremendous upside, but his toughness has been called into question. Initially, the trade didn't feel good, but then I realized that we had Jay Bruce to take his spot, so I figured putting him in center and picking up a quality arm was worth moving Hamilton. Now, it looks pretty stupid as Patterson and Hopper are platooning in center. In my opinion, Hamilton or Bruce are better than our current situation. Not sure what our managing staff is thinking.

Biggin1985
03-23-2008, 09:11 PM
In my opinion, I like the trade...I was a big Josh Hamilton fan and will remain to be. But, we needed some pitching bad and I think Volquez will be the real deal. Hamilton would have put up some better power numbers for us then what we have now but, how healthy will Hamilton be. Listening to spring training games I have already heard a couple of different times that he was sitting out for soreness. I would say Hamilton won't play 100 games this year. I'm pulling for him to be a great story, I hope he does good things seeing what he has overcome, but I think the right thing was done. Sometimes you have to unload something to get something.

Rocket_Fuel
03-23-2008, 09:13 PM
It was a tough call because Hamilton showed tremendous upside, but his toughness has been called into question. Initially, the trade didn't feel good, but then I realized that we had Jay Bruce to take his spot, so I figured putting him in center and picking up a quality arm was worth moving Hamilton. Now, it looks pretty stupid as Patterson and Hopper are platooning in center. In my opinion, Hamilton or Bruce are better than our current situation. Not sure what our managing staff is thinking.

Were you one of the same people who was ripping Reds management for keeping outfielders and not having pitching? And were you one of the people saying that the Reds needed to trade their surplus of outfielders for pitching? Also, lets let the Reds play a couple of regular season games before saying that Patterson and Hopper isn't going to work.

Degenerate39
03-23-2008, 09:44 PM
I would love to have Hamilton right now but it's essential to have pitching right now.

smoke6
03-23-2008, 10:00 PM
GET OVER IT! Hamliton is gone and Volquez looks pretty darn good. It was a case of buy low and sell him. J HAM ain't coming back. Move on.

OSUredsFAN
03-23-2008, 10:04 PM
GET OVER IT! Hamliton is gone and Volquez looks pretty darn good. It was a case of buy low and sell him. J HAM ain't coming back. Move on.

I totally agree, people need to get over the trade. How many threads are we going to have about this. You have to trade something to get something, and we needed pitching and have plenty of OF's. Its a good trade on both ends.

Jr's Boy
03-23-2008, 10:06 PM
Hitting HR and scoring has never been the Reds problem,they'll be fine without Hamilton.I wish him well,however as it has been stated many times on this forum that you don't know how is body will hold up.He's had injury issues already,as well recovering from hardcore drug abuse which no doubt has caused damage to his system.Plus he seems to have to have somebody to ''hold his hand''everywhere he goes,i.e. Johnny Narron.
We are building a good looking rotation and you don't balk when another organization offers their #1 pitching prospect for what could become a liability.PITCHING,That's the bottom line for the Reds or any successful major league baseball team.

ChatterRed
03-24-2008, 12:03 AM
I lived in fear of Hamilton having a drug relapse. The whole Johnny Narron thing always made me nervous.

Besides, we needed pitching and have Bruce.

AmarilloRed
03-24-2008, 01:01 AM
I had mixed feelings about the trade. We needed starting pitching, but Hamilton is a legitimate starting outfielder and we don't have many of those. Griffey, Dunn and potentially Bruce are the only legitimate starting outfielders we have now. I think the trade will be good for both teams in the long run. Hamilton will turn out to be an outstanding starting outfielder in Texas, and Edison will be a good starting pitcher for us.

Slyder
03-24-2008, 02:07 AM
I will probably be in the minority about this, but I would have never made the Hamilton deal. In my opinion, you don't trade an every day player with the skills of Hamilton for a pitcher who will play every 5 days and not even an ace. I hope I'm wrong but Hamilton is going to have a great year and were just hopeful Volquez makes our rotation, which is suspect at best.

You trade from strength to help weakness. Pitching was still weak and we have a good number of outfielders still. Pitching was the main reason we didnt go anywhere the past 15 years. In the Reds situation I do that trade every day and twice on sundays. This time last year Volzquez was one of the top spects in the Rangers system and Hamilton was a very big ?. He was a great story and a great find but it doesnt matter if your offense has the capability to put up 7 runs a game when your pitching is giving up 10.

durl
03-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Right now it sure looks like the Hamilton trade will work out well for both teams. (For the record, I would have loved to have kept Hamilton.)

I believe a pitcher can make a huge difference even though he appears once every 5 games. Those 25-30 appearances can mean a huge difference at the end of the year. Forcing the offense to score 8-9 runs to get a win every time your 4 & 5 starters take the mound is asking for too much. That's probably around 60 games right there.

bianchiveloce
03-24-2008, 10:35 AM
The Reds made a profit on the Hamilton trade as he was a Rule 5 pick. We got a nice pitching prospect in Volquez for a Rule 5 pick. Granted, Hamilton still has some good potential, but there are some serious doubts about his ability to be a healthy player. I think the Reds sold high on Hamilton before his stock starts to drop.

I'm not so sure the Reds made the Hamilton trade to open up the centerfield position to a soon to be 21 year old who has 278 Plate Appearances (PA) above the High-A leavel. Hey, I love Bruce's future just as much as every other Reds fan, but lets be realistic in his development.

After Dusty was hired, I believe that sealed Bruce's fate to begin the 2008 season in the minors. I don't think it is a case that Dusty dislikes and distrusts youth as it is more that he dosen't want to hurt a young players' development by rushing him to the Show.

Casey
03-24-2008, 10:46 AM
The trade will work out well for both teams. I hated to see Hamilton go too, but the pitching we got in return is going to make up for it in the long run.