PDA

View Full Version : Patterson getting it together?

wojo1025
03-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Patterson starting to live up to potential with Reds?

Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker has been happy with the way center fielder Corey Patterson has played the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

"For a guy who came in late, he looks good," Baker said. "He's worked on things. He's always been a very good outfielder, good arm, probably one of the fastest guys in baseball."

At 28, Patterson looks like he may start to live up to his big billing as a prospect. "He's doing things now that you would have hoped he did earlier," Baker said. "For him, it was on-the-job training in the big leagues."

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

bleedsred
03-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Patterson had a nice late run last year at the plate...the guy could have a great year at GAB....at the very least, he will be a huge upgrade defensively.

Grande Donkey
03-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Patterson starting to live up to potential with Reds?

Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker has been happy with the way center fielder Corey Patterson has played the Cincinnati Enquirer reported.

"For a guy who came in late, he looks good," Baker said. "He's worked on things. He's always been a very good outfielder, good arm, probably one of the fastest guys in baseball."

At 28, Patterson looks like he may start to live up to his big billing as a prospect. "He's doing things now that you would have hoped he did earlier," Baker said. "For him, it was on-the-job training in the big leagues."

Source: Cincinnati EnquirerI don't think I have ever heard anyone say Patterson has a "good arm". I always thought he had a pretty weak arm.

EddieMilner
03-24-2008, 05:28 PM
My issues with Patterson's ST numbers. .387 OBP with a BA at .367. I love the high BA, but its unlikely that he is going to hit at a .367 clip all season. If he is going to be our lead off hitter, he needs to get on base at the .387 clip, but its going to be difficult if he doesn't take a couple more walks. In 31 PAs this spring he has taken 1 walk. Its hard to get on base during a slump if you only walk 3% of the time.

HalMorrisRules
03-24-2008, 05:41 PM
On the Baseball Tonight Fantasy Special this afternoon, they had a "Bold Prediction" segment. These were just that, BOLD predictions and Eric Karabell said that Patterson would go 30/30. He said the 30 SB's were almost a given and if FeLo hit 23 homers in GABP then Patterson can hit 30. He also said that the motivation for a long term contract will push him too.

Grande Donkey
03-24-2008, 05:43 PM
On the Baseball Tonight Fantasy Special this afternoon, they had a "Bold Prediction" segment. These were just that, BOLD predictions and Eric Karabell said that Patterson would go 30/30. He said the 30 SB's were almost a given and if FeLo hit 23 homers in GABP then Patterson can hit 30. He also said that the motivation for a long term contract will push him too.I don't think it will happen but has there ever been 2 players that hit 30/30 in the same season on the same team.

Rounding Third
03-24-2008, 10:16 PM
From everything I have read it actually sounds like Patterson is not trying to hit home runs. From scouting reports on him the latter half of last year, to him talking during interviews and several news articles. All signs point to him working to get on base instead of hitting home runs.

I would be happier with a much higher OBP and more steals that 30 home runs. Get on base and steal bases, that is his job and I think he is accepting it.

ChatterRed
03-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Quite possibly the reason he never walks is because Dusty hates walks. He wants all his players free-swinging and would rather see them K than BB. That is the fact, jack. And no coincidence that Dusty was his manager for a good deal of his career and his OBP sucks.

Rounding Third
03-24-2008, 10:44 PM
It is foolish to say that he would rather see a K than a BB. He would just rather the players be more aggressive. I disagree with that, but that is how he sees it. If you have a player that is patient at the plate and works the count, consider yourself lucky. 5 of 6 team leaders in walks made the playoffs last year. The #1 team, Boston.

TheBigLebowski
03-25-2008, 11:53 AM
I'll buy everyone here a beer if Patterson hits 30 HR's. No way that happens.

GoReds33
03-25-2008, 12:47 PM
I think it's entirely possible. They want Bruce to stay down as long as possible, so if Patterson is lighting it up they'll keep him down. I don't see 30/30, but anywhere close, with a respectable average and OBP is great for a late free agent signing.

Z-Fly
03-25-2008, 12:54 PM
I don't think it will happen but has there ever been 2 players that hit 30/30 in the same season on the same team.

The Jose and Mark from the Oakland A's bash brothers? I think they did.

Reverend Doo-Rag
03-25-2008, 01:01 PM
The Jose and Mark from the Oakland A's bash brothers? I think they did.

I doubt Mark McGuire stole 30 bases in his whole career.

OesterPoster
03-25-2008, 01:09 PM
Whoa, how ironic. Patterson walked in his first AB today.

SultanOfSwing
03-25-2008, 01:12 PM
I doubt Mark McGuire stole 30 bases in his whole career.

Nope. His career high was 3 (in 1997). He had to go to another league to do that, though.

:cool:

Blue
03-25-2008, 01:15 PM
On the Baseball Tonight Fantasy Special this afternoon, they had a "Bold Prediction" segment. These were just that, BOLD predictions and Eric Karabell said that Patterson would go 30/30. He said the 30 SB's were almost a given and if FeLo hit 23 homers in GABP then Patterson can hit 30. He also said that the motivation for a long term contract will push him too.

They did that segment preseason last year and John Kruk uttered the words "The Pittsburgh Pirates will win the NL Central."

tomd63
03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
I don't think it will happen but has there ever been 2 players that hit 30/30 in the same season on the same team.

Wow, that would be amazing. Phillips and Patterson could both go 30/30 and still be the 5th and 6th best hitters on the Reds this season. Gotta love counting stat combo stats. :)

AmarilloRed
03-25-2008, 10:25 PM
From everything I have read it actually sounds like Patterson is not trying to hit home runs. From scouting reports on him the latter half of last year, to him talking during interviews and several news articles. All signs point to him working to get on base instead of hitting home runs.

I would be happier with a much higher OBP and more steals that 30 home runs. Get on base and steal bases, that is his job and I think he is accepting it.

I have to agree with this; from all reports I have heard he seems to be getting on base more and not going for so many HRs. I think he will get to 30 steals; I just don't think he will hit the 30 HRs.

gedred69
03-25-2008, 10:28 PM
I see all kinds of input inre Patterson succeeding or failing at the plate. Somebody even said something about him being an up-grade defense wise. And somebody else remembering him having a weak arm for a CF. I witnessed him in CF 2 games last week. He dogged a single hit to him, and made a weak throw to the plate. I saw him get a very late jump on a ball to right-center allowing a run to score. Hopper or even Freel is an upgrade defense-wise.

Johnny Cueto
03-26-2008, 12:03 AM
I never saw patterson before spring training, but when I've seen him he looks a prototypical lead off hitter. Great speed, and good defense. I'm not sure why everyone is so negative about him. He looks like a guy with a lot of potential that just hasn't panned out yet.