PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Quote Ever?

Rounding Third
03-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Per C Trent

"(Patterson is) one of those guys that you use as an example of the hype early, much like Jay Bruce," Baker said. "Everyone wants to push him there, you'd rather have them overready than underready so they can be on top of their game big time."

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/ctrent.html

ChatterRed
03-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Uh.........hey Dusty........there are plenty of 21 year olds who have come into the league and succeeded. You got one playing in right field right now.

PastAndPending
03-30-2008, 05:18 PM
Uh.........hey Dusty........there are plenty of 21 year olds who have come into the league and succeeded. You got one playing in right field right now.

And Colorado and Arizona have them all over the field.

Dusty's judgement is flawed because of Patterson.

Grande Donkey
03-30-2008, 06:29 PM
It might be flawed but it's not a bad thing. I want to see Bruce as much as the next guy but there is nothing wrong with making sure he is ready.

GoReds33
03-30-2008, 06:43 PM
What's saying that another year of minor leagues would have helped Patterson? I think it's Baker's fault that he's not very good. Baker was pushing him to swing the bat more, and now he can't get on base with any consistency.

Dunner44
03-30-2008, 08:32 PM
Honestly, I wasn't that put off by this quote. This seems the direction the Reds brass was heading this spring anyway. Get him a couple more AAA ABs, and let him come on later in the season and dominate. He missed some time this spring with injuries, and a couple weeks/months to get him on-tracked can't hurt, the same way they're being patient with Ross. If he kills again the the Ville, there's no way he won't be with the club.

Rounding Third
03-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Honestly, I wasn't that put off by this quote. This seems the direction the Reds brass was heading this spring anyway. Get him a couple more AAA ABs, and let him come on later in the season and dominate. He missed some time this spring with injuries, and a couple weeks/months to get him on-tracked can't hurt, the same way they're being patient with Ross. If he kills again the the Ville, there's no way he won't be with the club.

The part I found scary was thinking of Bruce turning into somebody like Patterson in 6 or 7 years.

Va Red Fan
03-31-2008, 01:06 AM
Dusty is a winning ML manager. He knows what he is doing.

bounty37h
03-31-2008, 12:06 PM
VA, dont bring logic into an arguement, they say Dusty stinks, he must stink :)

redlegsmustache
03-31-2008, 12:08 PM
I want Freel in center with Hopper on the bench but who am I. :(

IowaRed
03-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Dusty is a winning ML manager. He knows what he is doing.

Have you consistently watched games that he's managed? Have you seen the moves that he makes, the lineups that he's put together, the players he gives AB's to while other players sit?

If this team is successful it will be in spite of Baker, not because of him

Rounding Third
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Dusty is an excellent manager in "managing" his players. I don't think anyone will deny that. He has always been good with his players. However, this strategy and very old school thoughts put a lot of people off, including me.

Personally I wish they had somebody else making the roster and lineup and Dusty was the one who just dealt with the players. Dream world I know.

Va Red Fan
04-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Have you consistently watched games that he's managed? Have you seen the moves that he makes, the lineups that he's put together, the players he gives AB's to while other players sit?

If this team is successful it will be in spite of Baker, not because of him

Did you have a more than decade long MLB career? Do you have a winning record as a manager during some difficult times?

Dusty is a solid manager - give him a break. I don't think Jesus was be good enough to manage the Reds according to some of you.

redsfanmia
04-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Did you have a more than decade long MLB career? Do you have a winning record as a manager during some difficult times?

Dusty is a solid manager - give him a break. I don't think Jesus was be good enough to manage the Reds according to some of you.

Jesus isnt a sabremetric guy he is old school so all the "expert" stat guys on this board would run him out of town on a rail.

Handofdeath
04-03-2008, 02:14 AM
I understand what Dusty Baker is saying about Corey Patterson and I agree completely. He was rushed into the Big Leagues when he wasn't ready. He never played baseball in college. In his first year in the Minors at A ball he was good enough to be named the Cubs Minor League Player of the Year. The next season he was in AA and in 118 games had 22 HR's and 82 RBI's along with 27 SB's but was caught 14 times. His batting line was .261/.338/.491 with 115 K's in just 444 AB's. Stupidly the Cubs brought him up without sending him to AAA and Patterson hit .167/.239/.333 in 11 games and 42 AB's for the Cubs. The next season he played in 89 games at AAA. He did steal 19 out of 27 SB's but his hitting line was .253/.308/.387. The Cubs brought him up to the Bigs and he was absolutely not ready just like the previous time. The Cubs misused Patterson just like the Reds did with WMP. Baltimore didn't do much better as both they and the Cubs shuffled Patterson all over the batting order. He has been at every place in the batting order except 4th or 5th. He is learning on the job and I think Reds fans should cut him some slack because the potential is still there.

goreds2
04-03-2008, 04:00 AM

Also in left field. ;)