PDA

View Full Version : Shut the heck up Brantley............

hebroncougar
04-02-2008, 09:57 PM
That is all. Anyone who watched the ninth inning tonight knows what I'm talking about.

bubbachunk
04-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Please explain not everyone was lucky enough to view/listen such as myself

DTCromer
04-02-2008, 10:36 PM
I don't get the ripping of Brantley.

He said what he said because he was right. Let's see if Eddie E can make more hits like this. However, doing this 1 time isn't exactly going to change his mind.

TheBigLebowski
04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
EdE can be criticized for many things but one thing he has always been good at is hitting in the clutch. Brantley apparently was not aware of that.

Rounding Third
04-02-2008, 10:39 PM
EdE can be criticized for many things but one thing he has always been good at is hitting in the clutch. Brantley apparently was not aware of that.

He must not have been reading the stat overlays from FSN.

gilpdawg
04-02-2008, 10:40 PM

He said what he said because he was right. Let's see if Eddie E can make more hits like this. However, doing this 1 time isn't exactly going to change his mind.
Um, no he wasn't right. Eddie has gotten several big hits for this team over the last 2 years.

smoke6
04-02-2008, 10:43 PM
Um, no he wasn't right. Eddie has gotten several big hits for this team over the last 2 years.

You're right he has gotten some big hits. He just sucks in the field.:thumbdown

BUT...Right right now I love the guy.

REDblooded
04-02-2008, 10:52 PM

http://sadlyno.com/wordpress/uploads/2006/10/haterade.jpg

Homer Bailey
04-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Please explain not everyone was lucky enough to view/listen such as myself

Right before the pitch Brantley said "He is not a clutch hitter, he's just not a clutch hitter."

Then he ripped it out of the park...

hebroncougar
04-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Right before the pitch Brantley said "He is not a clutch hitter, he's just not a clutch hitter."

Then he ripped it out of the park...

Not only that, but he said that Encarnacion should be taken out of the game, and replaced with someone who could bunt, because he missed two strikes when Baker had him trying to bunt with men on first and second and no out.

hebroncougar
04-02-2008, 11:10 PM

No he was absolutely wrong. If EdE is going to play, it's for his offense. And he has proven that he is, in fact, the best player for the Reds to have at the plate with men in scoring position over the last couple of years. Brantley was dead wrong, and he needs to learn from it. Kudos to Thom for calling Brantley out, and telling him he was wrong, before the HR happened. Thom is a professional, Brantley is in over his head as a daily color analyst.

redsfan1966
04-02-2008, 11:12 PM
Cowboy did apologize and amend his comments near the end of the broadcast....

HeatherC1212
04-02-2008, 11:13 PM
If the players always prove Brantley wrong when he says something bad about them, then he can say bad things all he wants because that means lots of good things will happen for the Reds! ;)

I am SOO happy for Edwin tonight. He shook off his earlier mistake and more than made up for it by hitting that 3 run bomb into the left field seats to win the game. I don't think the D'Backs even knew what hit them, LOL :lol:

Lockdwn11
04-02-2008, 11:24 PM
Good for Edwin, that young man made us all forget about that throw earlier in the game and I am happy for him because he seems like a really good kid but I will say this, he better fix his footwork at 3rd or plan on hit 19-20 three run game winning shot this year.

Blue
04-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I'm a little concerned about the fact that Dusty had him bunting in that situation in the first place. In fact, I'm really concerned about it. Dusty himself says "He's an important RBI guy," but then he tries to have him bunt in that situation. I just had a really sick feeling in my stomach watching that near fiasco. I actually felt better when he had two strikes on him because I knew they'd take off the stupid bunt and let him swing at at least one pitch. Geez, its going to be frustrating if Dusty tries that crap all season.

Blue
04-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Everyone check out the call on Reds.com!!! Its perfect.

"He's not a clutch player."

"HAMMERED DOWN THE LEFT FIELD LINE!!! IS IT CLUTCH?!?! REDS WIN!!!!!"

Redus
04-03-2008, 12:16 AM
I think he owes EE an apology.

Redus
04-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I saw Edwin run straight up the ramp after but I hope he got a curtain call. The broadcast cut out as soon as it was over...was anyone there?

ChatterRed
04-03-2008, 12:22 AM
I love EE. I like Brantley.

Up until he hit the HR.....Brantley was correct.

BLEEDS
04-03-2008, 07:32 AM
What was EE's BA last year in the "clutch" !??!

2007/Career

Runners on:
.325/.300
RISP:
.360/.319
Bases Loaded:
.471/.486

Bases Empty:
.258/.250

IF ANYTHING, he STINKS in "NON-CLUTCH" situations...

I know Jeff, it takes A LOT of time to do research. Took me 5 seconds...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Moosie52
04-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Edwin homer could have been the result of karma. Keep on, JB!

CRedsLarkin11
04-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Radio call was similar, Welsh and Marty were blasting him right before the homer.

redsfanmia
04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Clutch doesnt exist so basically Brantley was right.

durl
04-03-2008, 04:00 PM
Brantlely definitely called that one wrong. Personally, I freak out less when Edwin comes up to bat with RISP.

I'll tell ya...on that 2nd called strike, Edwin looked like he was absolutely LOST when trying to bunt.

Bunting aside, I just think it's odd that his biggest weakness as a ballplayer is THROWING. He can stop just about anything that comes his way but he can't throw the ball to another player. I'm beginning to think that he'd be better as at 1B.

Va Red Fan
04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
The situation called for a bunt. I would have sent in Freel, myself. I would not have asked EE to do something he couldn't do. He looked like a Little Leaguer when he "tried" to bunt. Brantley was right. EE had never been a great clutch hitter. He looked horrible in the at bat until he swung away. Brantley was correct, but fate shined on EE. Nice win. Good to see our horrible defensive liability bail us out to get a win after he cost us a run earlier. EE is as much a problem as he is a blessing.

yab1112
04-03-2008, 05:52 PM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but EdE is batting upwards of .320 with RISP. Yea he's a trainwreck defensively, but he is the very definition of clutch.

Lockdwn11
04-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but EdE is batting upwards of .320 with RISP. Yea he's a trainwreck defensively, but he is the very definition of clutch.

If you are talking about last year you are correct. People are acting like Edwin has been ripping the baseball this year . Up until that at bat he was 0 for the year and not looked good doing it. Would Dusty Baker have asked him to bunt if he was swinging the bat the way he can or I'm sure the way he will? I don't think he would.

BurgervilleBuck
04-04-2008, 11:31 AM
So he can't bunt... he's prone to errors in the field... but he hit a homer and that makes everything okay.

Gotcha.

Personally, I think EE needs either another stint in AAA or someone working constantly with him up here.

DTCromer
04-05-2008, 04:19 PM

Man was I wrong. I didn't think his numbers were that great w/RISP. :oops: I looked them up later that night and I had to admit I was wrong. . .just like the Cowboy.

However, I still love the Cowboy (NO, not like that) and enjoy his commentary.

Hondo
04-05-2008, 09:08 PM
He may have a Good Batting Average with RISP, thats all find and Dandy...

But until he puts up a .300-30-100 Season...

a .275 15-75 season out of your Starting THIRD Baseman is not going to cut it at all...

Kingspoint
04-06-2008, 04:31 AM
That bonehead ex-NY Met G.M., Kevin what's-his-name (Kennedy, I know), said the dumbest thing Sunday.

The REDS score was being flashed on the screen and he said, "And Jeff Brantley with a clutch base hit wins it for the REDS".

Jeff Brantley? How about Paul Bako? All the possible choices ESPN could come up with for Baseball Tonight, and they can't find someone better than Kennedy?

Coopdaddy67
04-06-2008, 10:14 AM
I think Brantley's great.

Id much rather listen to him and Thom than anything with Grande. Those "long fly balls" calls get quite annoying, especially when they're closer to the infield than the warning track.