PDA

View Full Version : Video and pics and accounts of the game comment on the locked thread

robmadden1
04-04-2008, 01:07 PM
If MLB would get pissed posting pics from thier site or articles and video. I think the game threads would be in violation too. WEBN on Monday was only alowed to say who was winning the game but not say the score because of the MLB rules. What Marty says should stand for game threads tooExpress Written Consent or accounts from the game are not allowed to be reproduced like audio, video, the exact plays or even the score of the game. This is the reason WEBN was not allowed to say the score of the game. If we are not going to allow links, videos, or pics then game threads should not be allowed also for this rule to really work because we are telling accounts of the game like the exact play that is happening or the score.

I would think pics from other sorces like Getty Images or even AP images as long as they are paid for should be ok to post. I pay for my pics from getty images or wireimage and sometimes from AP images.

camisadelgolf
04-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I think WEBN not being allowed to say the score is related to having a press pass.

robmadden1
04-04-2008, 03:36 PM
WEBN was not at the game. They were not allowed to say it on air.

macro
04-05-2008, 11:51 PM
ESPN Radio gives scores of games in-progress in their "SportsCenter" segment.

savafan
04-06-2008, 01:01 AM
Well, Bob DuPuy and Bud Selig have announced that MLB has purchased the rights to the number 4, so from here on out no one else is allowed to use that number without their express written consent.

Screwball
04-06-2008, 03:59 AM
Well, Bob DuPuy and Bud Selig have announced that MLB has purchased the rights to the number 4, so from here on out no one else is allowed to use that number without their express written consent.

Shew. Thank God they didn't take 1; hand gestures alone would send me to Rikers.

redsmetz
04-06-2008, 08:52 AM
I think ultimately this silliness is going to result in a court case going all the way. To suggest that a radio station cannot report an ongoing score is absurd. Once the runs score, it's fact and is not a "rebroadcasting" of the accounts of the game. Bud Selig and cast are their own worst enemies.

rotnoid
04-07-2008, 07:11 AM
I think ultimately this silliness is going to result in a court case going all the way. To suggest that a radio station cannot report an ongoing score is absurd. Once the runs score, it's fact and is not a "rebroadcasting" of the accounts of the game. Bud Selig and cast are their own worst enemies.

I think you're exactly right. Saying that the Reds scored in the third inning Sunday is the same as saying they scored in the first last Monday. Once it's over, it's history. The same as saying George Washington was the first president or the Ohio River used to be filled with clean water.

Unassisted
04-07-2008, 10:55 AM
I think ultimately this silliness is going to result in a court case going all the way.I don't. Copyright law is fairly cut and dried and the copyright owners hold all of the cards. You own the copyright, you get to decide how it's applied.

The actions we're seeing the fallout from are MLB is tightening its ship to squeeze every dollar out of its product and its intellectual property. Woe be unto those who get in the way of that effort.

Remember too, that you're only hearing one side of the story of that enforcement effort. It's the side that is the most sympathetic. Being the most sympathetic does not equal the most correct.

It8ifyifitsgrif
04-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Was there not a court ruling in the last year or so that MLB did not own their stats? Would that not apply to the "stat" of a single AB?

Chip R
04-07-2008, 07:29 PM
If MLB would get pissed posting pics from thier site or articles and video. I think the game threads would be in violation too. WEBN on Monday was only alowed to say who was winning the game but not say the score because of the MLB rules. What Marty says should stand for game threads tooExpress Written Consent or accounts from the game are not allowed to be reproduced like audio, video, the exact plays or even the score of the game. This is the reason WEBN was not allowed to say the score of the game. If we are not going to allow links, videos, or pics then game threads should not be allowed also for this rule to really work because we are telling accounts of the game like the exact play that is happening or the score.

I would think pics from other sorces like Getty Images or even AP images as long as they are paid for should be ok to post. I pay for my pics from getty images or wireimage and sometimes from AP images.

I don't think game threads are a problem because whoever is posting is getting the information about the game second hand. People posting on a game thread get info via TV or the radio or gametracker. I think MLB is trying to crack down on first hand info from the game like blogging and taking movies with digital cameras and posting them directly to You Yube or wherever. They haven't paid MLB to do that and that's why they are cracking down. I suppose posting on a game thread while you are at the park on a Blackberry or an I-Phone or whatever is going to be frowned upon by MLB but I think that's probably not too common and it's difficult to enforce. How are they going to know where that person got the info unless they actually say, "Hey, I'm at the game and such and such just happened."

WMR
04-07-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't. Copyright law is fairly cut and dried and the copyright owners hold all of the cards. You own the copyright, you get to decide how it's applied.

The actions we're seeing the fallout from are MLB is tightening its ship to squeeze every dollar out of its product and its intellectual property. Woe be unto those who get in the way of that effort.

Remember too, that you're only hearing one side of the story of that enforcement effort. It's the side that is the most sympathetic. Being the most sympathetic does not equal the most correct.

That's just incorrect. Copyright law is evolving right now more than it ever has. The rapid rate of technology growth absolutely requires it. The idea of what constitutes "fair use" is being negotiated and re-negotiated on a regular basis.

savafan
04-13-2008, 12:14 PM
How can anyone copyright an action?

Unassisted
04-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Why does the ban on "Video/Audio PAID content from MLB" not apply to the link to the MP3 file in post #1 in this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67323)?

Chip R
04-18-2008, 04:52 PM
Why does ban on "Video/Audio PAID content from MLB" not apply to the link to the MP3 file in post #1 in this thread (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67323)?

Because it's free content from a newspaper.

Unassisted
04-19-2008, 11:44 AM
Because it's free content from a newspaper.A newspaper... whose parent company owns a MLB team! If it were to come to that, which site's link to the file is more likely to get a smackdown from MLB? :rolleyes: