PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins negotiating with Jake Long

DTCromer
04-09-2008, 11:49 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/489210.html

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

GoReds33
04-10-2008, 07:21 AM
I didn't see Long being first pick material, and still don't, but he is sure to be a franchise OT. Still, this team has so many weaknesses that I don't see this making much of an impact.

Highlifeman21
04-10-2008, 09:05 AM
John Beck will need more than the protection of Jake Long to have a long career in Miami.

IslandRed
04-10-2008, 10:40 AM
I didn't see Long being first pick material, and still don't, but he is sure to be a franchise OT. Still, this team has so many weaknesses that I don't see this making much of an impact.

I haven't seen any sort of analysis, but it's my perception that high-first-round round offensive linemen are generally a good value, with a lower bust rate and longer careers than most other positions. On a team with that many holes to fix and no obvious franchise-changing superstar in the draft, it's not a bad strategy.

camisadelgolf
04-10-2008, 12:04 PM
I hope this is true. The less defensive players picked in the first eight slots, the better.

camisadelgolf
04-10-2008, 12:14 PM
I hope this is true. The less defensive players picked in the first eight slots, the better.

. . . because, you know, Long probably would've slipped out of those first eight slots.

KoryMac5
04-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Parcells is in a bind with this pick, he doesn't want it and nobody else wants it either. I look for him to pick Jake Long, if I remember correctly the last time he drafted a tackle from Michigan it worked out pretty good: Jumbo Elliott

joshnky
04-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Reportedly they're also in talks with Gholston which would seem to be a reach.

I think the best thing for the Bengals would be a surprise pick from the Dolphins. Something to shake up the order and possibly one of the top tier players will slip out in the confusion.

Benihana
04-10-2008, 04:05 PM
We need Miami to take Jake Long, because that makes it more likely that Kansas City will reach on a lineman like Ryan Clady. If that happens, and Matt Ryan goes to either Atlanta or Baltimore, things are looking good for the Bengals.

It could go like this:
1. MIA- J.Long
2. STL- C.Long or V.Gholston
3. ATL- M.Ryan (or Dorsey/Ellis)
4. OAK- V.Gholston or C.Long
5. KC- R.Clady or some other o-lineman
6. NYJ- D.McFadden
7. NE- A.Talib or D.Rodgers-Cromartie
8. BAL- M.Ryan (or Dorsey/Ellis)
9. CIN- S.Ellis or G.Dorsey

The key to everything is that two offensive lineman have to go in the Top 8, and Long going #1 overall will definitely help.

If we can emerge from this draft with either Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey, or Darren McFadden in the first round, it will be a great day.

Guys I'd love to have in the second round include Kenny Phillips, Mario Manningham, Fred Davis, and Quentin Groves.

WVRed
04-11-2008, 10:33 AM
We need Miami to take Jake Long, because that makes it more likely that Kansas City will reach on a lineman like Ryan Clady. If that happens, and Matt Ryan goes to either Atlanta or Baltimore, things are looking good for the Bengals.

It could go like this:
1. MIA- J.Long
2. STL- C.Long or V.Gholston
3. ATL- M.Ryan (or Dorsey/Ellis)
4. OAK- V.Gholston or C.Long
5. KC- R.Clady or some other o-lineman
6. NYJ- D.McFadden
7. NE- A.Talib or D.Rodgers-Cromartie
8. BAL- M.Ryan (or Dorsey/Ellis)
9. CIN- S.Ellis or G.Dorsey

The key to everything is that two offensive lineman have to go in the Top 8, and Long going #1 overall will definitely help.

If we can emerge from this draft with either Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey, or Darren McFadden in the first round, it will be a great day.

Guys I'd love to have in the second round include Kenny Phillips, Mario Manningham, Fred Davis, and Quentin Groves.

Atlanta and Oakland will determine whether or not we get a defensive tackle at 9. Atlanta could very easily opt for Dorsey and Oakland could go for Ellis.

GoReds33
04-15-2008, 09:23 PM
If Jake Long was a senior last year, and was in the draft, would you have picked him, or Joe Thomas if you needed an offensive tackle?

I would take Thomas, because I think he was more ready at that point, but I'd love to see what you would say.

Reds Fanatic
04-22-2008, 01:14 PM
The deal is done. Long will be the no. 1 pick in the draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

The Miami Dolphins have reached a contract agreement with Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long and will select him with the No. 1 overall pick in Saturday's draft, sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.

The announcement will come at a 1:45 p.m. ET news conference.

Despite speculation that Dolphins vice president of football operations Bill Parcells really had planned to select Ohio State defensive end Vernon Gholston or Virginia defensive end Chris Long, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith that since the Dolphins opened negotiations with Jake Long they were talking to him exclusively.

Long, a 6-foot-7, 313-pound senior who moved to left tackle in 2006 and started his final 26 games, was an All-America selection and Big Ten lineman of the year in each of his last two seasons.

WMR
04-22-2008, 01:52 PM
This is good for us, right?

Benihana
04-22-2008, 02:14 PM
This is good for us, right?

Yes, as long as the Chiefs stay put at #5 and select an offensive lineman (either Clady or Albert).

HeatherC1212
04-22-2008, 02:21 PM
I saw a few newly updated mock drafts today that have the Bengals getting Ellis with their pick this weekend. That would be awesome! :)

Reds Fanatic
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
I saw a few newly updated mock drafts today that have the Bengals getting Ellis with their pick this weekend. That would be awesome! :)
Is Ellis is available that is the definite pick to make but I have a bad feeling the Bengals are going to screw this up.

Oxilon
04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm calling it right now, but Ellis is going to be on the board come pick #9, but the Bengals are going to take Mendethall with the pick. It's going to be 2002 all over again.

"With the 10th pick in the NFL draft, the Cincinnati Bengals select...OT Levi Jones.....Levi Jones? Hah now that's a curveball"

mole44
04-22-2008, 06:27 PM
The deal is done. Long will be the no. 1 pick in the draft.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424
And get 30 mill guaranteed, he can thank Joe Thomas for that.

joshnky
04-22-2008, 06:31 PM
Would you be upset if the Bengals take McKelvin at #9 if Ellis is unavailable? CB isn't really a position of need but this kid is projected to be really, really good and could also fill a huge hole as a returner.

I hope we get Ellis but in reading draft analysis I'm reminded that DT is a hard position to draft in the first round. There have been some good ones but just as many busts (think Robertson and Sullivan). I still think you have to take the risk but I won't be too upset if he's off the board and we have to go another direction.

marcshoe
04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
As a Rams fan who would like to see the team take the other Long, this makes me happy.