PDA

View Full Version : Twins' new stadium question.

howyoufreelin
04-10-2008, 02:18 PM
Is it true that their new stadium isn't going to have a roof?

Are they really that dumb?

:confused:

SarasotaFan
04-10-2008, 02:26 PM

:confused:you've never played in snow before ?

Revering4Blue
04-10-2008, 04:29 PM

:confused:

They played in open-air Metropolitan Stadium until the Metrodome opened in '82.

Nuxhall41
04-10-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm not sure they need a retractable roof - they should be scheduled on the road to begin the season though.

Milwaukee probably didn't absolutely need one either. It's just up the lake from Wrigley and they managed without a roof for 50 years or so.

The one in Seattle was a complete waste of money. Summer is their dry season. It rains more in Cincinnati in the summer than Seattle.

Going in the other direction, the one in Arizona was a waste of money also considering the meager number of times they're actually able to open it during a season. They should have just gone with a fixed roof.

They probably open the roof a few more times a year in Houston than Arizona, but not many more.

Indoor baseball stinks. If they can play outdoors in Arlington, they could do the same in Houston. Arizona is the only place it's absolutely necessary.

RedsFan2008
04-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I'm not sure they need a retractable roof - they should be scheduled on the road to begin the season though.

Milwaukee probably didn't absolutely need one either. It's just up the lake from Wrigley and they managed without a roof for 50 years or so.

The one in Seattle was a complete waste of money. Summer is their dry season. It rains more in Cincinnati in the summer than Seattle.

Going in the other direction, the one in Arizona was a waste of money also considering the meager number of times they're actually able to open it during a season. They should have just gone with a fixed roof.

They probably open the roof a few more times a year in Houston than Arizona, but not many more.

Indoor baseball stinks. If they can play outdoors in Arlington, they could do the same in Houston. Arizona is the only place it's absolutely necessary.

Why, just because its hot? I mean, I dont really think a roof should be needed in ANY city. Are we really that wussy that we dont want to play baseball in Arizona because its to hot? Baseball is played during the summer, its suppose to be hot outside. The should just suck it up and play in the heat. It issss a sport.

Nuxhall41
04-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Why, just because its hot? I mean, I dont really think a roof should be needed in ANY city. Are we really that wussy that we dont want to play baseball in Arizona because its to hot? Baseball is played during the summer, its suppose to be hot outside. The should just suck it up and play in the heat. It issss a sport.

I'm new, so I'm not absolutely sure whether you're joking or not. ;)

Have you ever been to Arizona in July/August? It's a desert. People could die if they played outdoors during the day. If they had an outdoor stadium, they would have to play every game after dark and use water misters and such. There is no way in hell I would ever go to an outdoor baseball game during the day in Arizona in July. :)

gedred69
04-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Considering the debacle in Cleveland last Spring, (Snowed out chased them to Open in Milwaukee) and the snow-out this year in,,,,, Denver I think? Cold climate teams should consider cover. Baseball isn't like Football, no way to play the game in snow. Seattle surely must have been in hopes of October games, when it get's pretty wet. I was in Seattle in Sept. to cover Farm-Aid in '04 and it was dreary wet and rather chilly. Further, I have sib-family in Wa. state, and the weather in Sept./Oct. is very un-predictable. Kinda' like April here.

Why Not?
04-10-2008, 10:44 PM

It's not about the players, it's about the fans. People don't want to pay to sit out in the heat for three hours.

SarasotaFan
04-10-2008, 10:53 PM
It's not about the players, it's about the fans. People don't want to pay to sit out in the heat for three hours.
Thank you !!!

Boston Red
04-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Have you ever been to Arizona in July/August? It's a desert. People could die if they played outdoors during the day. If they had an outdoor stadium, they would have to play every game after dark and use water misters and such.

I guess every Little League in Arizona must have a dome.

I think the Rookie Leagues out there play right in the middle of the heat.

SarasotaFan
04-10-2008, 11:05 PM

I think the Rookie Leagues out there play right in the middle of the heat.haha wouldn't that be a sight to see !!!

no wonder all those rookie kids are skinny looking.

Nuxhall41
04-11-2008, 01:10 AM

Here's some breaking news for you: They play baseball year round in Arizona. As in Florida, little-leaguers play in fall-winter-spring.

I think the Rookie Leagues out there play right in the middle of the heat

They play at night and make use of water misters as I noted previously. The summer minor league team near where I was always played after dark, I believe. If you think a major league team could play its entire schedule after dark, let me know.

No, it's about the players as well. I mean, it's a desert. It gets to 115+ in the summer. Simply attempt to change a flat tire or something on the highway in that heat once and then consider playing a 3-4 hour game in it.

Boston Red
04-11-2008, 01:17 AM
They play baseball year round in Arizona.

I'm sure they do. I wonder how they manage, say, in the summer.

Nuxhall41
04-11-2008, 03:06 AM
I'm sure they do. I wonder how they manage, say, in the summer.

I don't know, but I suppose I could break out a crayon and draw you a picture of a baseball team playing at night if you would like. If that's what it will take, I'll gladly do it. The few organized teams who do play in summer play at night.

Little-leaguers generally play in fall and spring.

Cicero
04-11-2008, 04:23 PM
I grew up in El Paso. That 100+ heat is dangerous to even healthy people. One of my childhood friends died of heat stroke after a pick up football game. This is not a question of toughness but one of safety.