PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn Dodgers

Cicero
04-12-2008, 06:20 PM
I am watching a really good documentary on Walter O'Malley and the Dodgers move to LA. It discusses the move and how it ripped out the hearts of Dodger fans and Brooklyn. My soon to be Father in law grew up in Brooklyn and still to this day tells the joke that if you were in a room with Adolph Hitler, Joseph Stalin and Walter O'Malley and have only two bullets in your gun you shoot O'Malley twice.

I gave him a plaque with picture of Ebbetts field last year for Christmas and a brick from the original building and he broke down in tears. He became a Reds fan when he moved to the Dayton area because of the rivalry with the Dodgers.

It makes me think about the Reds and how lucky we are to have them in Cincinnati for over a hundred years now. As my Father in law would say even bad baseball is baseball.

will5979
04-13-2008, 08:46 AM
I watched the same doc a few days ago. It is very sad that their team was taken away like that. Agreed LA needed baseball, but why did it have to be like that? I don't what I would ever do if the Reds were taken from Cincy.

Cicero
04-15-2008, 07:04 PM
I watched the same doc a few days ago. It is very sad that their team was taken away like that. Agreed LA needed baseball, but why did it have to be like that? I don't what I would ever do if the Reds were taken from Cincy.

It reminded me of the Broadway Commons versus the Wedge site when they were talking about a new stadium. Sadly MLB still doesn't seem to give two ***** about the average fan or long standing traditions.

LouisvilleCARDS
04-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Why did Brooklyn not ever try to get another team there? It's far too late for that now, but what was keeping them from getting another team? I understand Ebbets Field wasn't exactly in good shape, but they could have built a new stadium, even back then.

shREDded29
04-15-2008, 09:41 PM
Why did Brooklyn not ever try to get another team there? It's far too late for that now, but what was keeping them from getting another team? I understand Ebbets Field wasn't exactly in good shape, but they could have built a new stadium, even back then.

Robert Moses was in charge of city planning back then. He didn't want a stadium in Brooklyn: it had to be in Queens (where Shea is now), and if he couldn't get it the way he wanted, he was going to make damn sure O'Malley wouldn't get what he wanted either. The team might never have moved if not for him.

I watched that documentary with my father: he said the day the Dodgers left, he vowed never to go to or watch another baseball game. And he didn't, until I got him tickets to see the Cyclones (Mets A-ball) two years ago. They've been in Brooklyn for some time now. Beautiful park, right next to all the other Coney Island attractions (the beach, Astroland, Nathan's, etc).