PDA

View Full Version : Is it time to finally give up on Coffey?

nineworldseries
04-14-2008, 11:58 AM
Honestly, why do the Reds keep trotting this guy out there? We have to have somebody of at least equal value in the farm system. Why does Reds management seem to love this guy so much? Does he have dirty pictures of Wayne Krivsky or something? Please, somebody explain to me why Coffey should be anywhere near the major leagues right now.

TheBigLebowski
04-14-2008, 12:03 PM
I think it is, sadly. He's just not a very good pitcher.

Grounds_Crew
04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Yes

justincredible
04-14-2008, 12:48 PM
I was ready to give up a while ago.

BoCcc2832
04-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Todd Coffey shows so many glimpses of being a great relief pitcher (for example, in Spring Training). However, when the lights go on, he can't seem to keep his pitches from leaving the yard. I think of Coffey similar to Encarnacion, of whom is disappointing Reds fans and management who thought both would fulfill their potential. I doubt we will see that potential period, or as long as they remain Reds players.

BigJohn
04-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Just Trade the son of a gun!!!!

redsfanmia
04-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Atleast send him to AAA he is lights out down there and could help Louisville win some games.

Degenerate39
04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Just Trade the son of a gun!!!!

You most likely won't get anything for Coffey right now. Maybe some coffee but that's about it.

UK Reds Fan
04-14-2008, 01:05 PM
With the organizational depth in the pen, yes it is time to give Roenicke, Bray, McBeth, etc.. a shot in the pen.

Also there are other kids buried in A and AA that need a promotion. Time to DFA Majewski and maybe Coffey and let them have shot with another team.

bubbachunk
04-14-2008, 01:15 PM
Simply yes it was time last year

durl
04-14-2008, 01:29 PM
When Bray gets back I would think that Coffey will see even less time on the mound.

BigJohn
04-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I say we put Coffey, EE and Hatte together and see if we can trade for Casey back!

Degenerate39
04-14-2008, 01:57 PM
I say we put Coffey, EE and Hatte together and see if we can trade for Casey back!

As much as I would like the Mayor back in Cincy the Reds need a right handed hitter not another lefty.

redsupport
04-14-2008, 02:14 PM
casey candehle maybe

Chris Sabowned
04-14-2008, 02:50 PM
If we use him in the right situations he can be effective. Unfortunately the right situation for him is anytime we are up by more than 3 or down by less than 3. It seems like whenever he comes into a close game he is a choke artist. He could be a mop-up guy at best. AAA player at worst.

texasdave
04-14-2008, 03:10 PM
You just can't go around releasing players and giving them up for nothing. Todd Coffey had an excellent spring. Let's give him more than two weeks to show what he has got.

bubbachunk
04-14-2008, 03:29 PM
You just can't go around releasing players and giving them up for nothing. Todd Coffey had an excellent spring. Let's give him more than two weeks to show what he has got.

yes he did but terrible last regular season> good spring

LouisvilleCARDS
04-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Luckily the game was already over when he got rocked, but if he has a couple more outings like yesterday, he's gotta go.

Jharb74
04-14-2008, 05:39 PM
Coffey has had way too much of a "finding himself," or letting him grow time. I agree he should have been gone last year.

jmac
04-14-2008, 05:47 PM
Coffey has come to the point I feel it is no benefit to send him down because he is clearly better than the Triple A level but certainly not good enough for the bigs ( or I should say not the guy we thought he would be).
What do they call it ? AAAA player.
I think there are some other youngsters who deserve the shot now.

steig
04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Yes, this is the second straight year where he was great in spring training and then struggle once the season began. Move on, and cut our losses.

Trace's Daddy
04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
We need a Coffey break. They need to give someone else a shot.

Big Hurt
04-14-2008, 07:21 PM
IMO we should hang on to Coffee and let him right his ship. I think he has no confidence right now. He has a live arm and has shown us the right stuff before. I think Bray has to show he can go more than two weeks without being injured before he gets a shot. It seems Dusty believes that, too. The other youngsters at AAA need more time to develop. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Shearn in the bullpen for the Reds but I think Coffee can get it done. It is frustrating to watch it though. He is just like watching EE!

gedred69
04-14-2008, 08:43 PM

Unfortunately, 2 weeks into this season is just a continuation of last year. Too bad, as he has the stuff of a lights-out closer, but his mind is broken. Put him on the mound in a crucial situation and he is the perverbial deer in the headlights. What a shame.....

AdamDunn
04-14-2008, 10:52 PM
One bad outing and we're throwing him into the ditch? please. I'm getting sick of people saying "Fogg sucks," "trade Arroyo," because they haven't performed in the first two weeks. Everyone's so trigger happy.

jmac
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
One bad outing and we're throwing him into the ditch? please. I'm getting sick of people saying "Fogg sucks," "trade Arroyo," because they haven't performed in the first two weeks. Everyone's so trigger happy.

Most everyone's thoughts arent based on one outing. People have waited for Coffey to show some resemblence of the Coffey of a couple of years ago which he hasnt.
He goes to Louisville and is lights out-comes back and gets lit up.
Comes to ST and is lights out and then gets lit up. I have nothing against him personally as he seems to be a fine kid. However for the role the reds need him to fill, I think it is time to give some one else a shot.

AmarilloRed
04-14-2008, 11:20 PM
You can't judge a relief pitcher off one bad appearance, or even a number of them. Burton had a bad start last year, but he turned it around. The same could be true of Coffey. He is running out of the time with the talented young kids at Louisville, but I would not give up on him just yet.

redlegsmustache
04-14-2008, 11:26 PM
He's horrible. Stanton wasn't much better, but I think we should've kept stanton, and dropped Coffey. I don't think he can go back to Triple A cause he's out of options. He was so bad last year that every game I went to, or watched on tv people booed him, when he did his full speed run to the mound.

redsupport
04-15-2008, 12:50 AM
even when he was "good" he stunk

redleg35
04-15-2008, 02:13 AM
You guys are a bunch of idiots if you're gonna give up on a guy after 2 weeks into the season! If that's the case, I guess the Detroit Tigers should get rid of their whole team! The season is a marathon not a sprint, so don't go jumping on ban wagons for early success or writing guys off for slow starts! Like I said it is only 2 weeks into the season!

BigJohn
04-15-2008, 06:55 AM
Great first post!

nineworldseries
04-15-2008, 08:29 AM
You guys are a bunch of idiots if you're gonna give up on a guy after 2 weeks into the season! If that's the case, I guess the Detroit Tigers should get rid of their whole team! The season is a marathon not a sprint, so don't go jumping on ban wagons for early success or writing guys off for slow starts! Like I said it is only 2 weeks into the season!

Believe me, Coffey has stunk badly for a long time. He seems to be especially bad against the Pirates at PNC Park, too. We're not just judging him on a couple weeks. I agree that would be hasty.

AdamDunn
04-15-2008, 12:58 PM
Believe me, Coffey has stunk badly for a long time. He seems to be especially bad against the Pirates at PNC Park, too. We're not just judging him on a couple weeks. I agree that would be hasty.

But you're judging him on two bad premises. 1) Last year. 2) One bad outing this year. Coffey might still be the Coffey of last year and not the Coffey of two years ago. But there is still a chance that he's better THIS YEAR. We'll see. Either way, two weeks isn't a big enough sample size to say the reds should give up on Coffey.

Hondo
04-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Um, he gives up 3 runs in the 12 run Milwaukee Game... There was absolutly no Pressure there. The guy needs a change of scenery...

Trade him to the Detroit Tigers for a Box of Baseballs from the 2006 World Series

TheBigLebowski
04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
The season is a marathon not a sprint, so don't go jumping on ban wagons for early success or writing guys off for slow starts!

http://www.happi.com/articles/2006/03/images/ap-04.jpg

AdamDunn
04-15-2008, 03:41 PM
Um, he gives up 3 runs in the 12 run Milwaukee Game... There was absolutly no Pressure there. The guy needs a change of scenery...

Trade him to the Detroit Tigers for a Box of Baseballs from the 2006 World Series

When did anyone bring pressure into this?

Hondo
04-15-2008, 04:49 PM
When did anyone bring pressure into this?

No one did on this post... My point was when the Game is tight and needing to remain close, like in the Pirates Game... He implodes...

Oh and when the Game is a Rout, he implodes like in the Millwaukee game...

So atleast he is consistant...

SarasotaFan
04-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Has he stopped running out to the mound from the bullpen in Cincy ? I know I saw him jog a few times last year which I was very proud of - I'm glad he ditched the dead sprint - seemed to me that would make ones legs very tired

jmac
04-15-2008, 07:42 PM
You can't judge a relief pitcher off one bad appearance, or even a number of them. Burton had a bad start last year, but he turned it around. The same could be true of Coffey. He is running out of the time with the talented young kids at Louisville, but I would not give up on him just yet.

Here sums up my thoughts on Coffey.
His first year with the reds he gave up something like 80+ hits in 50+ip. The league hit around 290 against him ( this is purely memory as I am not researching the exact numbers).
Then he had a decent year and then last year and into this season.
After that first year I was very skeptical of what he could do.
A 290 avg meant he was too hittable and apparently still is.
If EE hit 230 and then 280 and then 220 and 225, would we keep waiting for him to go back to the 280 or eventually presume the 280 was a career type year. BTW only using EE as example of Coffey.
So which Coffey is the real one ? The one good year or the others which are all similar? Just a point to ponder.

AdamDunn
04-15-2008, 09:39 PM
No one did on this post... My point was when the Game is tight and needing to remain close, like in the Pirates Game... He implodes...

Oh and when the Game is a Rout, he implodes like in the Millwaukee game...

So atleast he is consistant...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/gamelog?playerId=6221

What Milwaukee game? Please... before the Pittsburgh game, Coffey was pulling more than his share. I'll take a reliever that has an ERA below 4.50. If Coffey can do that through this year, I say he's worth keeping.

baron23
04-15-2008, 10:39 PM
right now...

goreds2
04-15-2008, 10:40 PM
HR just given up by Mr. Coffey.

Hondo
04-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Need I Say More? Type More?

This guy has to get out of Town...

highheat11
04-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Get him outta here. Pathetic.

AccordinglyReds
04-15-2008, 10:43 PM
Hopefully Coffey will be in Louisville by Friday wehn I go to the Bat's game. Ugh

goreds2
04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
Hopefully Coffey will be in Louisville by Friday wehn I go to the Bat's game. Ugh

:laugh:

Hondo

Are you betting against the Bats Friday?

TheBigLebowski
It is not in my nature to call for anyone's head and I am sure Todd is an otherwise fantastic human being...I know his brother used to post here as well. I hate it but Todd has to go. This is Major League Baseball. He is paid very well to get batters out and he absolutely sucks at it. If I was as bad at my job as he is at his I would have been fired last year.

Jefferson24
04-15-2008, 10:52 PM
He'll be gone within a week.

BUTLER REDSFAN
04-15-2008, 10:53 PM
He'll be gone within a week.

Why that long?

Jack Burton
04-15-2008, 10:53 PM
It is not in my nature to call for anyone's head and I am sure Todd is an otherwise fantastic human being...I know his brother used to post here as well. I hate it but Todd has to go. This is Major League Baseball. He is paid very well to get batters out and he absolutely sucks at it. If I was as bad at my job as he is at his I would have been fired last year.

100% agreement. He needs to go.

George Foster
04-15-2008, 10:54 PM
His fastball is as straight as Crystal Gayle's hair, and his breaking ball does not break out of the strike-zone. He is not a ML pitcher.

Hondo
04-15-2008, 11:01 PM
This guy is AMAZING!

And did Dusty think he suddenly got movement on his Fastball???

fewfirstchoice
04-15-2008, 11:06 PM
This Reds team isnt going to win with the core of this team.Meaning the pitching, defensive, or offensive core.The Reds need to keep Harang, Cueto, and Volquez in its stating rotation.Then trade Arroyo for some young talent.Add Bailey to the rotation to see if he can indeed pitch in the majors.In the bullpen you keep Cordero, Burton, Lincoln, and Merker.Trade Weathers and Affeltd for more young guys.Keep Merker around for a club house guy.Put Bray in the pen with him and call up Salmon.This would help our pitching very much in the long run.

This offense is very very bad.We need to trade JR, Dunn, Gonzo, and Hatteberg.The Reds could ge tgood young talent nack for these guys.It has been proven over the last 5-7 years that the Reds arent going to win with Dunn and JR leading this offense.The Reds lineup next season should look something like this:
RF-Bruce
LF-FA (with money saved form Arroyo,JR,Dunn and others traded)
CF-FA(same as above
1B-Votto
3B-EE(if he comes around this year)
SS-Keppinger(3B if EE doesnt come around)
2B-Phillips
C-Someone other than who we have on the roster now

Pitching staff
1)Harang
2)Cueto
3)Lowe(sign him as a free agent)
4)Volquez
5)Bailey

CL-Cordero
Burton
Salmon
Lincoln
FA(righty)
Bray
FA(lefty)

I know Im just spouting off but something has to be done with this club.The players the Reds have now just arent going to get it done and they have proven that already over and over again.The Reds need to let some players go via trade and put the money into new players.Bruce needs to be playing right now the same goes for Bailey.With the 40 mil owed to Dunn, JR, and Arroyo the Reds can add 3 good players.Lowe(hopefully a ground ball pitcher)and at least 1 good OF to play in left or center.But something has to be done and I for one cant wait to see it happen.

fewfirstchoice
04-15-2008, 11:08 PM
He needs to be gone now.If the Reds are truely trying to win this year(which they arent have you watched them this year) Coffey will be sent down tonight.

AccordinglyReds
04-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Are you betting against the Bats Friday?

No, it's the fact that I want him there instead of up north with the Reds. :)

Jefferson24
04-15-2008, 11:10 PM
Why that long?

They are working on a trade. I heard they are holding out for a new bucket of balls but all that's being offered in return is used, waterlogged balls (much like Coffee himself). WK is standing firm.

BEETTLEBUG
04-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Salmon is gone he is in Kansas City for cash .

baron23
04-15-2008, 11:38 PM
right now...

roby
04-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Coffey just needs a different role. How about, since he is such a nice guy, letting him work off the remainder of his salary as a greeter outside of the ball park on Crosley Terrace?!?

BigJohn
04-16-2008, 11:26 AM
I found a job for coffey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbAjmFHk45g&feature=related

captainmorgan07
04-27-2008, 12:31 AM
After coffey's outting tonite up 5 runs where he gives up back to back doubles and looks absolutely hittable. We've seen his song and dance before and he just doesn't get it. Send him to AAA bring up Bray or anyone other than todd coffey.

CarolinaRedleg
04-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Forget Louisville. Todd Coffey needs to be in the unemployment line ASAP.

jhiller21
04-27-2008, 12:48 AM
It seems like he'll always be one of those guys who dominates AAA, and comes up only to get lit up in the bigs. It's not his stuff, that's fine. The pressure seems to get to him every time, and if you can't hack it with a 5 run lead, you can't hack it, period.

Cordero gave up a double tonight coming in for Coffey, what did he do? He blew the next two hitters away, striking out the final batter. That's not just stuff, it's confidence and control. Something Coffey may never learn at this level. It's a shame too because he has some nice stuff.

demas863
04-27-2008, 12:55 AM
He's the pitching version of Brandon Larson.

Newport Red
04-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Todd needs to become a fan.

AmarilloRed
04-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Todd always seems to dominate at Louisville. It is simply that he can't pitch at the major league level. I hate to say it, but he is a AAAA relief pitcher.

Blue
04-27-2008, 01:34 AM
He's the pitching version of Brandon Larson.

That's about as well as anyone could ever put it. I feel sorry for him. He seems like a good guy. Then again, there's really no shame in being a AAAA pitcher. He's better than 99.9% of the guys who have played the game in their lives, and has made some damn good money.

I'd like to see Bray brought up. He's been nails for Louisville.

jhiller21
04-27-2008, 02:04 AM
It was evident the first time Coffey became closer in 2006. He can't handle pressure, in any form.

Spring training? 1.00+/- ERA...

AAA? Can't touch him...

MLB mop up? Horrible...

I'd give him one more chance in AAA to get it together, maybe even to pad his stats for a trade.

redsfan1966
04-27-2008, 02:32 AM
no more chances...todd coffey needs to be released..

TheOnlyRedsFan
04-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Nothing ever seemed to happen to Coffey when Krivsky was in charge. Maybe now that Jocketty has taken the reigns....anyone else think that Coffey might have had his ticket stamped?

ChatterRed
04-27-2008, 09:08 AM
It was evident the first time Coffey became closer in 2006. He can't handle pressure, in any form.

Spring training? 1.00+/- ERA...

AAA? Can't touch him...

MLB mop up? Horrible...

I'd give him one more chance in AAA to get it together, maybe even to pad his stats for a trade.

I agree. Let him pad his stats at Louisville, and hope you can include him in a multi-player trade, that will also unload his salary.

bigredbunter
04-27-2008, 09:22 AM
I want to know what happened between 06 and 07.
In 06 he was a big plus reliever carrying an era of about 3.5--Next year it falls apart. Maybe it was the Vern Ruhle effect?

jmac
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
I want to know what happened between 06 and 07.
In 06 he was a big plus reliever carrying an era of about 3.5--Next year it falls apart. Maybe it was the Vern Ruhle effect?

Here is a link to Coffey's career stats.
Notice every year , the league has hit over 300 against him except the 06 year and then it was 274 which wasnt exactly fooling anyone.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7514/career;_ylt=AvKmY2N6ZuE4H5fgXwogfDmFCLcF

06 was the exception rather than the rule.
Like some have said, he is a AAAA player.

TheBigLebowski
04-27-2008, 10:08 AM
He does need to go but, we've been saying that for a while.

Jharb74
04-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Louisville is a nice place, with a very nice stadium for a minor league team. There's no shame in playing there for the rest of his career. Look at it as a cool factor like the movie Bull Durham.

natireds
04-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Coffey's fastball always looks straight. Sometimes he hits the corners of the zone and still gets pounded. Since he doesn't have another decent pitch in his repertoire, he has trouble fooling major league hitters. I don't recall seeing many other pitchers get ahead of hitters as much as he does, and still not get them out.

tommycash
04-27-2008, 12:29 PM
I want to know how he keeps getting into games. Why on earth, unless we are down by 10 would you put him in the game to hold a lead. The only person I think that liked it that Coffey went into the game last night was Cordero, so he could get a shot at a save.

Degenerate39
04-27-2008, 12:35 PM
I want to know how he keeps getting into games. Why on earth, unless we are down by 10 would you put him in the game to hold a lead. The only person I think that liked it that Coffey went into the game last night was Cordero, so he could a shot at a save.

They wanted to get Cordero another save maybe?

Orodle
04-27-2008, 04:33 PM
Yes, send him down and bring up Bray or Adkins. Coffey use to get away with that straight fastball because he was throwing 95+....now that hes more around 92-93 it appears as if hes got nothing.

Larkinfan_11
04-27-2008, 06:26 PM
here we go again starts the 8th with a hit batter......

goreds2
04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Jeff & Marty were saying today that teammates have commented when Todd warms up everything looks great but when he gets between the lines........

I am not sure where I am going with this. :p:

Newman4
04-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Anyone NOT agree Coffey has no place on the 25 man roster?

tommycash
04-28-2008, 10:45 AM
He got in again last night. Can we please bring someone else in and give them the experience he is taking away from other pitchers.