PDA

View Full Version : To Marty Brenneman:

DTCromer
04-17-2008, 10:23 PM
For your comments about Cubs fans in last night's "good 'ol fashion butt whippin'". . . .

:beerme: :beerme: :beerme: :beerme:

Don't ask me to repeat it because he basically was saying what everyone else was thinking. It was on 700wlw tonight and apparently Cubs fans are just finding out about it.

Good stuff though.

AccordinglyReds
04-17-2008, 10:31 PM
I have no idea what he said, but for the future, it's Brennaman. :)

Jack Burton
04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
What? Did he call them drunk scumbags or something of the like?

DTCromer
04-17-2008, 10:51 PM
Basically. I'll post a transcript from it here in a bit.

Jack Burton
04-17-2008, 11:21 PM
They got it posted now in the ORG, marty lets 'em have it....and it's the truth.

killuminati35
04-17-2008, 11:59 PM
Here's a rough (but accurate) transcript:

This is the kind of thing, quite honestly right now that makes you want to see this Chicago Cubs team lose. Among all baseball fans -- and I can't attest to the Yankees and Red Sox, because we don't see them with any degree of regularity unless its interleague play -- but far an away the most obnoxious fans in this league are those who follow this team right here. They are throwing 15 or 18 balls on to the field -- there's absolutely no excuse for that, and that is so typical of Chicago Cubs fans. It's unbelievable...You simply root against 'em. And I've said all winter, they talk about this team winning the division, and my comment is that they won't win it because at the end of the day they are still the Chicago Cubs and they will figure out a way to screw this whole thing up...And they never blame themselves.

JBChance
04-18-2008, 12:03 AM
We've all thought it. He just said it. :thumbup:

He was PISSED about those balls being thrown out. And Cowboy was just kind of egging him on.

lo ryder
04-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Long live Marty,

hes a sourpuss at times but he hit the nail on the head here.

OesterPoster
04-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Should make for an interesting series when the Reds head back to Wrigley in July, and I'll be there for one of them. Might have to wear my Dragons cap to remain incognito though. :)

BigJohn
04-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Say what you want about them:

Cubs Attendance-3,252,462-40,153 per game ave

Reds Attendance-2,056,453-25,388 per game ave

scounts22
04-18-2008, 08:55 AM
Chris Welsh said basically the same thing on the tv broadcast as well. I loved it!!! Cubs fans are classless and they continue to prove it over and over again in more ways than just throwing balls back, but that display with throwing all those balls was juvenile. I don't like fans in any ballpark throwing visiting teams' home run balls back on to the field. Just because they do it and think it's cool doesn't mean we have to. People don't have to keep the balls. Instead of throwing it back, they should find a kid and give the ball to them if they don't want it. It's ridiculous and I wish Reds fans wouldn't do it either.

CySeymour
04-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Here in Indy, I have always enjoyed being a Reds fan in a sea of Cubs fans. Most will go on an on about how the Cubs rule and how great being a Cubs fan and how the Reds suck. I at that point just start counting on my fingers silently. At that point they say, what are you doing, and I say I am counting the number of World Series the Reds have won since the Cubs last won one :)

joshua
04-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Here it is on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky9Kso9q_Ws

_Sir_Charles_
04-18-2008, 12:23 PM
Okay, look...I'm a life-long Reds fan and a life-long Cubs hater. But you guys SERIOUSLY believe that Marty was correct in what he said?!? 15 balls got thrown out on the field. Yeah, it was bone-headed and they were most likely drunk. But that certainly doesn't constitute a "majority" does it? As for the obnoxious quote...yes, many cubs fans are overly obnoxious...but not any moreso than any other teams fans. I'm sorry, but Marty was totally off base that night. Cubs fans are some of the best fans in baseball. They're very knowlegable about the game and say what you want about them but they SHOW UP! They root for their team through thick or thin. When you get fans that dedicated and in the types of numbers that they draw...yeah, you're gonna get some knuckleheads. But I'd take that kind of fan-base any day of the week for the Reds. How often have you seen a half-empty GABP or Riverfront? Quite often. If the Reds are good, the stands are pretty full. But start losing....*listen for the crickets*. I love my Reds, but Reds fans are largely bandwagoners I'm sad to say. No, not all and certainly not a majority....but a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Marty appologize for the remarks in the next week. (and don't get me wrong...I love Marty. Every good memory of the Reds has him in it)

bgwilly31
04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.playwithlinn.com/Images/funny%20pics/oh%20snap.jpg

GO MARTY!!!

bgwilly31
04-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Okay, look...I'm a life-long Reds fan and a life-long Cubs hater. But you guys SERIOUSLY believe that Marty was correct in what he said?!? 15 balls got thrown out on the field. Yeah, it was bone-headed and they were most likely drunk. But that certainly doesn't constitute a "majority" does it? As for the obnoxious quote...yes, many cubs fans are overly obnoxious...but not any moreso than any other teams fans. I'm sorry, but Marty was totally off base that night. Cubs fans are some of the best fans in baseball. They're very knowlegable about the game and say what you want about them but they SHOW UP! They root for their team through thick or thin. When you get fans that dedicated and in the types of numbers that they draw...yeah, you're gonna get some knuckleheads. But I'd take that kind of fan-base any day of the week for the Reds. How often have you seen a half-empty GABP or Riverfront? Quite often. If the Reds are good, the stands are pretty full. But start losing....*listen for the crickets*. I love my Reds, but Reds fans are largely bandwagoners I'm sad to say. No, not all and certainly not a majority....but a lot.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Marty appologize for the remarks in the next week. (and don't get me wrong...I love Marty. Every good memory of the Reds has him in it)

How many times have you actually come in contact with a Cubs fan in action at a game?

OldRed1966
04-18-2008, 12:30 PM

World Series won in my lifetime.

Cubs- 0

Reds- 1975, 1976, 1990

BigJohn
04-18-2008, 12:31 PM
What the hell does that have to do with the fans???

_Sir_Charles_
04-18-2008, 12:42 PM
How many times have you actually come in contact with a Cubs fan in action at a game?

Unfortunately, not in 20 years since I moved to Texas. My only personal perspective on baseball in that time has been watching the Reds when they play the Astros. And Houston fans are the most apathetic lot I've ever seen. Sure, they cheer when something good happens, but otherwise they sit on their hands and play with their cellphones. Pitiful.

Look, I'm not saying they (cubs fans) can't be jerks. They can, that's obvious. But it's also obvious that Yankee & Red Sox fans are the same way. My point is that Marty went overboard in stating that the MAJORITY of cubs fans are obnoxious.

And you definitely can't label them as the worst fans in baseball. The biggest job a fan has is that of supporting thier team. And no fan base (outside of the Yanks & Sox) comes close to the unbridled passion of the cubs fans. I think the main problem with them is that lately they've had good teams so we're seeing a different side to them. But if the Reds fans had to suffer for as long as they have...we'd be a different lot too.

Donder
04-18-2008, 12:59 PM

There's a little bit of a difference in the size of the cities, that might have something to do with it.

_Sir_Charles_
04-18-2008, 01:02 PM
There's a little bit of a difference in the size of the cities, that might have something to do with it.

That has very little to do with it. Go to a Reds game when they play the Cubs and you'll see what I mean. Heck, go to ANY NL game versus the cubs and you'll see a wide swath of blue in the stands. Simply put, they've got a great fan base....win or lose.

Hondo
04-18-2008, 01:12 PM
They have a big fan base because of WGN as well... Kinda like the Braves on TBS...

A lot of people only got to watch those teams play on cable...

REDblooded
04-18-2008, 01:14 PM
Their fan base IS obnoxious.............

You know how many people in Indianapolis that I see wearing Cubs gear can't name more than 2 players on their roster? prob over 75% of the ones that I ask.

If it wasn't for WGN airing so many of their games in the 80's and 90's, most people would care less about them.

RSNtransplant
04-18-2008, 01:27 PM

All teams are going to have their share of knuckleheads. The Cubs large dedicated fan base willing to travel and lack of a fan base in Cincy just makes the situation seem worse b/c there are so many tickets available to the Cubs fan. Some Cincy yahoo goes to Fenway or Wrigley acting like a fool in the bleachers and there are 100 home team fans sitting with him, so peer pressure rules(like not talking in class during a test). Some yahoo from Chicago comes to GABP, and there are more of his kind than Reds fan, so you are bound to get some loudmouth popping off for attention(like the class clown). It is social dynamics not exclusive to Cubs fan. Root for your own team, not against the other team, I say.

scounts22
04-18-2008, 01:29 PM
That has very little to do with it. Go to a Reds game when they play the Cubs and you'll see what I mean. Heck, go to ANY NL game versus the cubs and you'll see a wide swath of blue in the stands. Simply put, they've got a great fan base....win or lose.

#1. They've got a fan base of complete jerks. Yes, their fans travel to watch their team play. Why? Because Wrigley is always sold out. Good for them for following their team to other cities. But when they come to MY city to watch MY favorite team play, they should have enough respect for MY team to not boo them in THEIR OWN stadium. That's right, they booed the Reds when they took their home field. It wasn't one or two people, it was the majority of them.

#2. Any Cubs fan I have come into contact with, especially at a game, knows ONLY the amount of beer he or she can consume in a nine inning affair. Oh wait, I forgot, they do also have quite an array of names they can call the opposing players, as well as a plethora of obsenities they can throw out at any time. They're also really good at screaming the phrase "YOU SUCK __________ (fill in any opposing player's name)." Not once have I had an indulging conversation with a Cubs fan at GABP, and I've been to several Cubs/Reds games, unfortunately. I'm not saying that doesn't happen everywhere, but that's how they act. Every time I've been to a Cubs fans, that's all I hear from them.

OldRed1966
04-18-2008, 01:36 PM
What the hell does that have to do with the fans???

Not a lot, I just thought I would throw that out there. :p: To be honest with you though, the Cubs always drew well even when they were terrible. Most of the fans would just show up, to get drunk and have a party. Most of them couldn't even tell you when leaving the ballpark if the Cubs had won or lost. Just because the Cubs outdraw the Reds doesn't mean their fans aren't obnoxious.

_Sir_Charles_
04-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Well, I'll take your word for it guys in regards to the obnoxious part of it, as I haven't been to a Reds home game in about 22 years. But I still say that having your fans show up at the park to cheer on the home team is a great advantage and one the Reds haven't had in many years unless they're playing winning baseball. Diehard fans are not Reds fans...unfortunately. (present company excluded)

bounty37h
04-18-2008, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=scounts22;1607511]#1. They've got a fan base of complete jerks. Yes, their fans travel to watch their team play. Why? Because Wrigley is always sold out. Good for them for following their team to other cities. But when they come to MY city to watch MY favorite team play, they should have enough respect for MY team to not boo them in THEIR OWN stadium. That's right, they booed the Reds when they took their home field. It wasn't one or two people, it was the majority of them.

I hear what your saying, but I have to respond to that part the same way I do when fans of the losing team whine that the other team ran the score up on em. The reponse, if you dont like it, stop em from doing that. If Reds fans would buy the tix and show up for games other then OD or giveaway nights, there wouldnt be tix for the cubbies to come in and get, allowing them to take over GABP like its their own- which they do- and I cant blame em. I know, your going to come back with "if the Reds would win, I would go, but not worth time and money to watch em lose". Goes back to the original arguement, the cubs have had this losing thing down longer and better (worse?) then anyone else, but they still sell out and show up to cheer, so thats not a valid excuse to me. On top of that, they are always mentioned for trades, free agents etc, cause they prob have more money to spend since they are bringing in more at the gate (yes, I know, small market team we are, keep using excuses, at the end of the day thats all ya got).

jlb1705
04-18-2008, 03:25 PM
FWIW, some clown at Wrigley just tried to dump a beer on the Pirates' Nate McLouth as he chased down a ball at the CF wall.

If the shoe fits...

GoReds33
04-18-2008, 03:33 PM
The Cubs have a very passionate fan base, but there is a very fine line between passionate and obnoxious. I love the Reds, and sometimes I like to boast a little bit, but never to the extent they do. Most of their fans have crossed the line, but I would love to have 42,000 people at every Reds game.

bgwilly31
04-18-2008, 04:11 PM

People dont always stay in a city like Chicago. Much like the other big cities. A lot of people tend to move once they retire or find another job.

Just part of another reason you will find Cubs fans outside of Chicago.

My sister N law is a cubs fan. She lived in chicago for 3 yrs. She now lives in AZ. She was born in cincy and will be moving back to cincy soon.

OUReds
04-18-2008, 04:29 PM

Not really comparing apples to apples there, the population of the Greater Chicago area is nearly five times that of Cincinnati.

Edit: Oops, didn't read the whole thread before I posted, Donder beat me to it.

bgwilly31
04-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Also just another fact justifing More cubs fans than reds fans.

How much money does Chicago spend on their team.
Talk about motivation for a fanbase.

If the cincinnati reds would go out spend the type of money on talent that the cubs have been doing lately. Im sure A lot more fans would be excited about the season.

OUReds
04-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Well, yes, it is a justification as to why there are more Cubs fans, there is a much larger pool to draw from.

As far as spending, the Cubs last year had a higher operating income then the Reds. Does that mean they are in fact the cheapskates and should spend even more on salary?

This isn't the Linder years, Cast and Co. have been willing to spend dough when the appropriate targets present themselves.

maniem
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
I acutally find it quite funny that Cubs fans call themselves the best in the game because they've supported their team through all those years of losing. While this is true, what they don't realize is that because they've continued to show up through all the losing, they've caused a lack of incentive for ownership to spend any money on the team. Not until the last 5 years or so has ownership really spent anything on the team. Most fans of other teams demand a winning product, and if there isn't, people won't show. Is this wrong? I'm not sure, but I'd like to think that when attendance drops, the owners realize they have to do something to improve the team to get people back. Sure you have your diehards, but we as fans should demand a winning product. I think this is common among fans of all baseball teams really, except probably the Red Sox and Cubs. So basically, the millions of Cub fans who have shown up to watch their losing teams over the years have actually hurt the product on the field. This just proves that most Cubs fans are there for the party/experience first and the team second. There is really no other explanation for a fan wanting to continue to watch their team lose, it just goes against human nature.

Blue
04-18-2008, 05:49 PM
"Cubs fans are some of the best fans in baseball. They're very knowlegable about the game..."

You take that back!

bgwilly31
04-18-2008, 06:06 PM
I acutally find it quite funny that Cubs fans call themselves the best in the game because they've supported their team through all those years of losing. While this is true, what they don't realize is that because they've continued to show up through all the losing, they've caused a lack of incentive for ownership to spend any money on the team. Not until the last 5 years or so has ownership really spent anything on the team. Most fans of other teams demand a winning product, and if there isn't, people won't show. Is this wrong? I'm not sure, but I'd like to think that when attendance drops, the owners realize they have to do something to improve the team to get people back. Sure you have your diehards, but we as fans should demand a winning product. I think this is common among fans of all baseball teams really, except probably the Red Sox and Cubs. So basically, the millions of Cub fans who have shown up to watch their losing teams over the years have actually hurt the product on the field. This just proves that most Cubs fans are there for the party/experience first and the team second. There is really no other explanation for a fan wanting to continue to watch their team lose, it just goes against human nature.

Great point:thumbup:

Jerry Narron
04-18-2008, 08:20 PM
It doesn't help that most Cubs fans are unemployed. Close to 40,000 on a weekday afternoon game?

scuba17
04-18-2008, 09:08 PM
You guys are hilarious with the stereotypes. Every team has idiot fans. I am a Cubs fan, and don't consider myself to fit into any of the trendy sterotypes that are being put forth in this thread.

The baseballs on the field were stupid, it was bad. Sure, there are some idiots, but they're not isolated to Chicago only.

I have no problem with Marty's feelings until he mentioned the part about the Cubs won't win the division because "they will find a way to screw it up." They did win the division last year and are a good bet to do the same this year.

So, thats my piece. Not all Cubs fans are bad.

DTCromer
04-18-2008, 09:19 PM
You guys are hilarious with the stereotypes. Every team has idiot fans. I am a Cubs fan, and don't consider myself to fit into any of the trendy sterotypes that are being put forth in this thread.

The baseballs on the field were stupid, it was bad. Sure, there are some idiots, but they're not isolated to Chicago only.

I have no problem with Marty's feelings until he mentioned the part about the Cubs won't win the division because "they will find a way to screw it up." They did win the division last year and are a good bet to do the same this year.

So, thats my piece. Not all Cubs fans are bad.

This division = garbage. No team in our division could go out and win any other division in baseball. So don't pat yourself on the back for winning the division. Besides, the point isn't about the team. It's about the fans.

The Cubs have a HUGE following because they're on network television. . . just like the Braves have a HUGE following as well. Their fanbase is one of the largest in baseball. But their ******baggery is topnotch as well. Go to any university in Indiana and you'll see all the fans come out of the woodwork more than any other team I've seen. I graduated from 1 and visited a lot of other campuses a lot to know how had it gets when the Cubbies are "winning."

As for the Reds fanbase, for the size of the market the Reds are in, our fanbase is actually pretty big. Mostly because we've had history with the Big Red Machine and teams like that. Everyone wants to follow a winner. That's the problem with Cubs fans. They haven't had a winner yet their fan base still takes it in the rear every year from onwership and continually attends games.

Also, we don't hate the Astros fans. . .Cardinals fans. . .Brewers fans. . . Pirates fans. There's a reason the majority of the Reds fanbase doesn't like the Cubs fans and it really has nothing to do with the team.

DTCromer
04-18-2008, 09:24 PM
FWIW, some clown at Wrigley just tried to dump a beer on the Pirates' Nate McLouth as he chased down a ball at the CF wall.

If the shoe fits...

Point taken. I've never seen or heard a Reds fan do anything like that. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but you always so or hear something about Cubs fans.

The worst was with Barton. The guy did what every other freaking fan in the world would do. You know what's funny? The guys around him were also going for the foul ball and no one game them crap. Why? Because Cubs fans are idiots.

DTCromer
04-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey Cubs fans, this pretty much sums up your fan base. So please STFU.

Here's a wikipedia entry before it was taken down:

Brennamen died on July 8, 2008 at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois. Brennamen suffered internal bleeding and a fatal skull fracture after dozens of fans pummeled him with baseballs from the outfield bleachers. This heroic assault was in retaliation for derogatory comments Brennaman made on April 17, 2008 about Chicago Cubs fans, often regarded as the best sports fans in the world.

Donder
04-18-2008, 09:38 PM
Go to any university in Indiana and you'll see all the fans come out of the woodwork more than any other team I've seen. I graduated from 1 and visited a lot of other campuses a lot to know how had it gets when the Cubbies are "winning."

I went to Taylor University (a small college in Northern Indiana) and I definitely experienced this. I was there during the 2003 playoffs, when it started you would have thought the team had won the past 10 World Series with the way guys in my dorm acted. Of course I enjoyed the end of the Marlins series. Some of the guys in the dorm were always there to make fun of Griffey whenever he experienced his annual season threatening injury. Those type of things just leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Of course we're over generalizing. My college roommate was a Cubs fan and he certainly wasn't obnoxious about it. I have some co-workers who are Cubs fans who I love talking baseball with. But it just seems like a MUCH higher percentage of Cubs fan are obnoxious than any other team.

DTCromer
04-18-2008, 09:39 PM
LOL. . .MARTY IS THE MAN!

Here's a link from an ESPN Radio Chicago interview with Marty today. Go about 1/5 of the way into it.

http://query-origin.andohs.net/8000A6/content-root3.andomedia.com/origin/mp3/stations/990/waddlesilvy/waddlesilvy080418.mp3

Donder
04-18-2008, 09:42 PM
Did anyone hear the exchange between Marty and the Cowboy tonight? It was somewhere around the fifth inning. It went something like this (Marty had just accidently called the Florida Gators the Florida Seminoles):

Marty: I won't apologize to the Cubs fans, but I will apologize to the Florida Gator fans.
Jeff: The Cubs fans will get over it.
Marty: No they won't.
Jeff: They never got over that billy goat (started making goat sounds).

scuba17
04-19-2008, 11:21 AM
My only point is this, every team has idiot fans. I'm not one of them, I come to GABP a couple times a year to see the Cubs. I don't make a scene, but I cheer. I wish I could count the number of times a Reds fan has yelled at me to "Go back to Chicago." Well, I'm not from Chicago.

I enjoy coming to Cincy and most of the Reds fans. Believe it or not I've seen a few idiot Reds fans as well, and idiot fans from several other teams.

the city of Cincinnati propsers greatly whenever the Cubs come to town. I think the management of the Reds would play the Cubs at home 81 times a year if they could.

jmac
04-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Did anyone hear the exchange between Marty and the Cowboy tonight? It was somewhere around the fifth inning. It went something like this (Marty had just accidently called the Florida Gators the Florida Seminoles):

Marty: I won't apologize to the Cubs fans, but I will apologize to the Florida Gator fans.
Jeff: The Cubs fans will get over it.
Marty: No they won't.
Jeff: They never got over that billy goat (started making goat sounds).
Yes that was nice exchange !

jmac
04-19-2008, 12:28 PM

I think the management of the Reds would play the Cubs at home 81 times a year if they could.

Gotta disagree.
We didnt play the cubs last night and there was 32,000 in attendance. As the weather warms, if this team plays around or close to 500 ball, the crowds will be there with guys like Cueto/Volquez/Votto/ and possibly Bailey/Bruce here.
As a UK fan as well as Cincy fan, I know all about rivalry's with fans. It isnt the UofL program I dislike as much as the way their fans are. Oh yeah I know there are plenty of UK fans the same way and I am sure that is why some UofL fans root against UK.
I just dont understand why there appears to be so much different in Cubs-WhiteSox fans. Maybe if reds played in AL Central , I would see them more and feel differently but there does appear to be a big difference.

realreds1
04-19-2008, 01:29 PM
To Marty:

Who were you yelling at in the top of the 1st inning today? A lot of your rant was inaudible, as you tried to cover your mic, but plenty came through.

"Do you want to take over?"

"Dusty Baker called up here and said..."

"I do something like that; you do not challenge me."

Coulda sworn I heard an F-bomb in that exchange, too!

LouisvilleCARDS
04-19-2008, 07:55 PM
I agree completely with Marty, and the Cubs sympathizer posting in this thread even admitted he doesn't hang around Cubs fans. For the most infamously losing franchise in sports, they seriously have a ton of frontrunner fans around. Like Thom Brennaman said, this stuff didn't really start until that 2003 season. Cubs fans are the most obnoxious, annoying fanbase in MLB.

LouisvilleCARDS
04-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Gotta disagree.
We didnt play the cubs last night and there was 32,000 in attendance. As the weather warms, if this team plays around or close to 500 ball, the crowds will be there with guys like Cueto/Volquez/Votto/ and possibly Bailey/Bruce here.
As a UK fan as well as Cincy fan, I know all about rivalry's with fans. It isnt the UofL program I dislike as much as the way their fans are. Oh yeah I know there are plenty of UK fans the same way and I am sure that is why some UofL fans root against UK.
I just dont understand why there appears to be so much different in Cubs-WhiteSox fans. Maybe if reds played in AL Central , I would see them more and feel differently but there does appear to be a big difference.

I could say the same thing about UK, as I am a big U of L fan. Similar to the Cubs fans, there's nothing more annoying than a fanbase that lives in the past.

nineworldseries
04-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Here's a link to the thread about this on their main forum:

http://www.northsidebaseball.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47953&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Apparently Marty is a "Bob Barker" wannabe, a "******bag," and Cincinnati is full of "chili-eating rednecks" who are just jealous of the Cubs' awesomeness. Gee, is it any wonder that their fanbase is so universally despised?

redsfanmia
04-20-2008, 02:12 AM
To Marty:

Who were you yelling at in the top of the 1st inning today? A lot of your rant was inaudible, as you tried to cover your mic, but plenty came through.

"Do you want to take over?"

"Dusty Baker called up here and said..."

"I do something like that; you do not challenge me."

Coulda sworn I heard an F-bomb in that exchange, too!

I heard the F-bomb too, Marty needs to be reeled in by ownership. I hope he gets fined by the FCC for the F-bomb.

scounts22
04-20-2008, 01:28 PM
I hear what your saying, but I have to respond to that part the same way I do when fans of the losing team whine that the other team ran the score up on em. The reponse, if you dont like it, stop em from doing that. If Reds fans would buy the tix and show up for games other then OD or giveaway nights, there wouldnt be tix for the cubbies to come in and get, allowing them to take over GABP like its their own- which they do- and I cant blame em. I know, your going to come back with "if the Reds would win, I would go, but not worth time and money to watch em lose". Goes back to the original arguement, the cubs have had this losing thing down longer and better (worse?) then anyone else, but they still sell out and show up to cheer, so thats not a valid excuse to me. On top of that, they are always mentioned for trades, free agents etc, cause they prob have more money to spend since they are bringing in more at the gate (yes, I know, small market team we are, keep using excuses, at the end of the day thats all ya got).

Point taken, you are very correct!

Also, I'm a die hard fan. I've been a fan for 20 years and attend as many games as I can every year whether the Reds have a decent team or not. I only get to 10-12 games a year though because I live 2 and a half hours away.

Jerry Narron
04-21-2008, 08:32 PM
On April 17, 2008, during the top of the eighth inning of a game between the Chicago Cubs and the Cincinnati Reds at Wrigley Field in Chicago, Illinois Brennaman became frustrated when Cubs fans were throwing baseballs on the field. Brennaman then grabbed an M60 machine gun from the booth and shot all 38,405 Cubs fans John Rambo style, while leaving more than 2,000 Reds fans untouched. Brennaman then fled the scene and is rumored to be in Mexico.

Anyone see the Marty Brennaman wikipedia page? Some people have too much time on their hands.

Wyatt Earp
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
How many balls do you think they will throw on field the next time we hit a homerun?

foxfire123
04-22-2008, 07:30 PM
I have to admit, even tho one of my best friends is a Cubbie fan, I was *NOT* impressed at all with their behaviour when we were in Cincinnati last september for the last series with the Cubs. Rude, obnoxious, and completely inconsiderate. They may have won the division that weekend, but they were in OUR house. Have some respect and class.

Foxfire

GoGoWhiteSox
04-23-2008, 08:10 PM

Outstanding point.:thumbup: Don't forget that since Wrigley is a historic ballpark, and a tourist attraction, that will also help inflate their attendance figures. Marty was dead-on with his observation about Cub fans. He said up front what many people were wanting to say for so long about most Cub fans.

BurgervilleBuck
04-24-2008, 12:55 PM

I see your point... we're outnumbered by stupidity.

wojo1025
04-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Boy did Marty just stick his foot in his mouth with that Birthday/Funeral announcement!

DTCromer
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Boy did Marty just stick his foot in his mouth with that Birthday/Funeral announcement!

???

wojo1025
04-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Marty came on and did his normal excited voice saying something along the lines of "We'd love to wish a long time Reds fan a very happy birthday!!!"...."oh...my deepest apologies, our long time Reds fan has actually passed away. Funeral is ...."

Don't quote me on that, but that was basically it

DTCromer
04-24-2008, 02:03 PM
Marty came on and did his normal excited voice saying something along the lines of "We'd love to wish a long time Reds fan a very happy birthday!!!"...."oh...my deepest apologies, our long time Reds fan has actually passed away. Funeral is ...."

Don't quote me on that, but that was basically it

That's cold-blooded.

BurgervilleBuck
04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
Define "normal excited voice". Do you mean "And it's high fly ball to center field... that one's gone.. goodbye!"-excited? Or do you mean "It's a walkoff home run... and this one belongs to the Reds!!!"-excited?

Seriously... it's bad enough we have babies knocking down the ownership and the GM. Do we have to start on Marty too?

wojo1025
04-25-2008, 02:49 PM
Define "normal excited voice". Do you mean "And it's high fly ball to center field... that one's gone.. goodbye!"-excited? Or do you mean "It's a walkoff home run... and this one belongs to the Reds!!!"-excited?

Seriously... it's bad enough we have babies knocking down the ownership and the GM. Do we have to start on Marty too?

I haven't read a single post in this topic, I just thought it was an akward moment when he did that yesterday, maybe I am wrong.

Wow, sensitive?

BurgervilleBuck
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Wow, sensitive?
Probably. I've had to defend my favorite baseball team from knee-jerk worrywarts who overanalyze every move the organization as a whole makes for the last few days. Forgive me.

Still it is a sort of silly thing to bring up. I can imagine when calling a baseball game, you don't get much prep time for reading clips.

DTCromer
05-05-2008, 06:01 PM
This is in response to the ORG's newest Marty thread.

My question is, if Marty is unbearable to listen to anymore, who would you replace him with?

Rounding Third
05-05-2008, 06:59 PM
This is in response to the ORG's newest Marty thread.

My question is, if Marty is unbearable to listen to anymore, who would you replace him with?

Not Jeff Brantley. Brantley is a terrible announcer and by far the worst we have.

I never, ever know what is going on with Brantley announcing. There will be 15 seconds of silence followed up by non-descript ramblings from him. It drives me up a wall listen to him being called "The Cowboy." I remember one game when the Reds came back in extra innings I was in the car listening for around 5 minutes and he didn't give an update on what had happened. All I knew was that Phillips was up and Freel at first. So I got on the internet on my phone and looked up the scored and found out Bako and Edwin had homered. Brantley still hadn't even mentioned it.

Home runs and ground outs to second base get the same amount of excitement from Jeff. Calls Edwin "not a clutch player" with his stats with RISP right in his face. Then Edwin hits a walkoff home run. Now he is rambling on how well Edwin has been seeing pitches at the plate and how he wasn't doing that in the beginning of the year. Hello Jeff, Edwin has been patient all year and was near the tops in the league with walks after the first few weeks!

I refuse to listen to the radio any time he is "announcing."

I love the combo of Marty and Thom.

DTCromer
05-05-2008, 07:33 PM
I agree with everything you've said. Brantley is by no means, a play-by-play guy and everyone knows that. His play-by-play skills aren't very good, but he was hired for his color.

But I'm asking this question because people don't like listening to Marty, yet they have no plan with who to replace him with.

I'd kill myself if Marty was the "happy-go-lucky" guy they seem to want. I'd really hate t hear that garbage with this team right now.

Rounding Third
05-05-2008, 07:45 PM
I agree with everything you've said. Brantley is by no means, a play-by-play guy and everyone knows that. His play-by-play skills aren't very good, but he was hired for his color.

But I'm asking this question because people don't like listening to Marty, yet they have no plan with who to replace him with.

I'd kill myself if Marty was the "happy-go-lucky" guy they seem to want. I'd really hate t hear that garbage with this team right now.

The problem is, Jeff has been doing play by play. I would rather just no hear him at all...ever. Color or not.

Personally I wouldn't replace Marty. I would replace Jeff with Thom because Thom seems to keep him in line and keeps spirit light. Even Marty seems to get annoyed with Jeff and his stupidity. If I had to replace Marty it would be with Thom.

aaronboonefan
05-06-2008, 02:17 PM
I would replace each and every one of them. Castellini and Jocketty discussed in their press conference the importance of a "winning attitude." They suggested the Reds players had a hard time buying into that concept, and there is no doubt in my mind why. Every media outlet surrounding the Reds is negative. The writers go out of their way to make the team look worse (which is hard to do at times) and the announcers seem to get off on negative comments. To me, creating that "winning attitude" starts with surrounding the team with individuals who believe in them. Might sound corny, but who could blame a team for feeling down when they hear all the time about how horrible they are even before failing.

sweetsport06
05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/cs-080417-marty-brennaman-chicago-cubs-reds,1,6962881.mp3file

FlightRick
05-06-2008, 07:19 PM
To me, creating that "winning attitude" starts with surrounding the team with individuals who believe in them. Might sound corny, but who could blame a team for feeling down when they hear all the time about how horrible they are even before failing.

A lot of the Marty Bashing has reached a point of people only hearing what they want to hear, I think.

To wit, just five weeks ago, the Reds broke camp in Sarasota with Marty and Jeff CONSTANTLY harping on the differences between this year's team and last year's, and how it wasn't just pre-season lip service, but they were honestly enthusiastic for the Reds' prospects. Marty even admitted to being a big fat liar in 2007, when he knew the team had major deficiencies in March, but put on a happy face for a few months.

But in 2008, the truth of the matter, to turn the above quote on its ear, is that if the Reds were listening to Marty, they were hearing about how good they were before they even started succeeding. It's only now that they've started failing that they're hearing about that, too.

It may be unfashionable, but put me down as a Marty Supporter. Folks wishing Marty would be more level-headed or "impartial" strike me as wishing for him to be "boring." I happen to like a "voice" on the radio that can share both my unbridled joy when things are going well and my unmitigated frustration when things suck... I actually loathe your standard bachelor-degree-certified, overly-produced "broadcasters" who contribute nothing beyond trite cliches and white bread play-by-play (or worse, incompetent play-by-play).

I figure the test is this: if I don't feel like it'd be worth my time to sit down and have an Adult Beverage while discussing (baseball/basketball/whatever) in an intelligent fashion, then why in the blue hell would I want to endure a one-way "conversation" with you talking at me on the radio or TV? Marty passes the Adult Beverage Test with ease.

Well, except for the part that few places I go for Adult Beverages would be welcoming to a man what wears pastel like our favorite poofy-haired fancy boy, but still.... you get the idea.

Rick

redsfan1966
05-06-2008, 11:25 PM
Marty is a hall of famer and yes, a legend. I would rather listen to Marty any day over jokesters who do garbage like "Put it on the board, yes!" (that means you, Hawk Harrelson) or constantly yell like the Indians' Tom Hamilton....