PDA

View Full Version : I told you last year that Weathers was an illusion

redsupport
04-19-2008, 07:15 PM
total garbarge

_Sir_Charles_
04-19-2008, 07:35 PM
I'm with you on that one. I was last year too. He was lucky as hell last year on TONS of occasions. No speed, no change of speeds, unimpressive breaking stuff and worst of all...predictable. Bray & Roenicke. Say it with me....BRAY AND ROENICKE! :O)

redsupport
04-19-2008, 07:56 PM
better to lose with veterans than try younger players, that is the Reds ethos

LouisvilleCARDS
04-19-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm not going to bash the guy, he got a serious workload last year, and at the tail end of his career he performed admirably. As today showed, he isn't exactly healthy and may have a serious elbow injury now. I give the guy credit for being the sole guy that was worth anything in that horrible pen last year.

Jerry Narron
04-19-2008, 09:08 PM
Classy posts guys. You people were probably the same fans that were booing Weathers as he walked off the field with his injury. :rolleyes:

AmarilloRed
04-19-2008, 10:43 PM
I will start out by saying that you shouldn't judge any reliever after 7 1/3 IP. He will be 39 in September, however, and age catches up to us all. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds were looking to move him in a trade at the deadline.

Keystone12
04-19-2008, 10:57 PM
Is it just me, but are 76% of all message-board posts focused on making predictions/bragging about one's predictions/castigating others' predictions?

The Internet: One giant "Told you so!"

Natty Redlocks
04-19-2008, 10:59 PM
I've been a Weathers fan since I read an interview with Harang where he said Weathers has really helped him a lot. He's had a great career, he pitched his guts out last year, and he deserves better than some ignorant internet nobodies calling him names.

That said, bring on Billy Bray.

Dracodave
04-19-2008, 11:13 PM
I've been a Weathers fan since I read an interview with Harang where he said Weathers has really helped him a lot. He's had a great career, he pitched his guts out last year, and he deserves better than some ignorant internet nobodies calling him names.

That said, bring on Billy Bray.

Bingo, he does deserve better. In all fairness, I'd like to see weathers stick around as a mentor to the younger pitchers and have someone like Bray/Roenike (spelling) step into his spot, or a spot. I realize you just cant jettison someone like Weathers because of that.

jhiller21
04-20-2008, 02:41 AM
Weathers had pretty good numbers last year. His stuff is below average but he seems to find a way to retire batters. When he comes off the DL I'd use him as the 7th inning guy.

He has also proven he can go 2, so using him in extras is ideal (like today, no one knew he'd get hurt)

OesterPoster
04-20-2008, 08:26 AM
He's valuable as a middle innings guy, but I don't think he has the stuff to be the setup guy any longer...even when healthy. We had this similar discussion in a thread last year about who to trade and who not to trade.

06-29-2007, 03:16 PM #31
OesterPoster

Posts: 626 Re: Hal McCoy reports that Krivsky is ready to sell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you foresee Weathers duplicating his '07 success in '08 or '09? I don't. If anything, his age and overuse of his arm parlays into health problems at some point. I'd rather his health and contract be someone else's problem.

Redeye fly
04-20-2008, 09:32 AM
better to lose with veterans than try younger players, that is the Reds ethos

There's a lot of teams that fall in that group. Why do you think guys like Jose Mesa and Antonio Alfonseca were still kicking around last year when they clearly had nothing left?

_Sir_Charles_
04-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Classy posts guys. You people were probably the same fans that were booing Weathers as he walked off the field with his injury. :rolleyes:

I'm not bashing the guy. I think he's a great teammate for the Reds to have. I think he's a classy individual. The way he dealt with the "demotion" after we acquired Cordero was pure class. But this isn't a personality contest. It's baseball. And he's not playing it very well...and hasn't been for 2 years (despite what some of the numbers say from last year). It's not personal it's about the direction the team is taking. That means looking towards the future. Players with no upside could help us win NOW, but not enough for it to matter...this year. So go with the kids who need seasoning so we can win LATER more efficiently.

And I didn't know he was injured until now. I just saw it on Fay's blog.