PDA

View Full Version : The Giants DFA Rajai Davis

AmarilloRed
04-21-2008, 03:17 PM
The Giants' motto in 2008 is "All Out, All Season." It should be "Expect the Unexpected." Three months ago, Rajai Davis was a critical part of the team's outfield. Today, he will be out of the job when the Giants designate him for assignment and purchase the contract of infielder Emmanuel Burriss.

Much has changed since the start of spring, when Davis, an exceptional defensive outfielder acquired in last year's Matt Morris trade, was supposed to platoon with Dave Roberts in left field. Now, Roberts will be on the shelf for three months, Fred Lewis is the everyday left fielder and Brian Bocock has played every inning but one at shortstop. Davis was 1-for-18 at the plate and fell behind Daniel Ortmeier on the depth chart for right-hand-hitting outfielders.

Still, it is surprising that the Giants will risk losing Davis on a waiver claim to bring up another middle infielder, which could be a sign they are not convinced Omar Vizquel is close to returning from knee surgery.

Manager Bruce Bochy said the Giants hope Davis clears waivers so they can send him to Triple-A Fresno where he could get at-bats.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/04/20/SPKH108JPN.DTL&feed=rss.giants

He has gotten off to a bad start this year. Still, he has hit for a high OBP, plays outstanding defense, is a stolen-base threat, and usually hits near .300. I don't know, does anyone think we could use a prototypical lead-off hitter who plays great defense? I would definitely rather him playing center than Corey Patterson. Look into it, Wayne.

Dracodave
04-21-2008, 03:29 PM
I was all about him till I realized He's 28..and basically Norris Hopper.

AmarilloRed
04-21-2008, 03:33 PM
I was all about him till I realized He's 28..and basically Norris Hopper.

Norris Hopper can't steal 30-50 bases, will not OBP near .350, and does not play outstanding defense. He is good if you are expecting him to be a lead-off hitter.
Still,his age is something to worry about.

Dracodave
04-21-2008, 03:37 PM
Norris Hopper can't steal 30-50 bases, will not OBP near .350, and does not play outstanding defense. He is good if you are expecting him to be a lead-off hitter.
Still,his age is something to worry about.

I agree with the steals, however..many people (not myself included) believe Hoppper will bat around the 375 mark to keep his obp up.

This team does need a lead off hitter and yes, if he was three years younger, I'd say go for him, even two years younger. Its the fact that at 28. I dont see that speed lasting much longer etc.

AmarilloRed
04-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I agree with the steals, however..many people (not myself included) believe Hopper will bat around the .375 mark to keep his obp up.

This team does need a lead off hitter and yes, if he was three years younger, I'd say go for him, even two years younger. Its the fact that at 28. I dont see that speed lasting much longer etc.

He actually won't be 28 until October 19th of this year. Still, even at 27 he needs to show he can break through at the major league level. I do think it is something to look into.

Dracodave
04-21-2008, 04:01 PM
No offense but wouldnt that be like re-acquiring Chris Denorfia though? Since technically, both have less than a few hundred ab's..stealing speed..great defense..and totally unproven?

AmarilloRed
04-21-2008, 04:10 PM
Denorfia was a player who played good defense and was expected to hit for a high BA. The Reds never really gave him a chance to win a starting job in Cincinnati; we will see how he does in Oakland. I also don't remember Denorfia having great stealing speed; he was a very good outfielder.

mlbfan30
04-21-2008, 04:46 PM
I'd take Davis over Hopper or Freel. I'd actually be willing to get rid of both the Davis, but then that's like getting rid of 4M for just a small increase in production. The marginal cost is too high for it to actually happen, but in a pure winning perspective it's the right thing to get him and get rid of Hopper or Freel or both.

BEETTLEBUG
04-21-2008, 04:56 PM
I agree with you.

Hondo
04-21-2008, 11:10 PM
Yeah, lets try and get as many 4th Outfielders on this team as Possible. The Reds need that as much as the other Post Suggesting Frank Thomas?

Help!

This team needs to get rid of:

Castro - Done
Valentin
Ross
Patterson
Coffey
Fogg
Beilise

This team needs

#1 Right Handed Clean Up Hitter
#2 Legit Lead Off man
#3 Right Handed Power Reliever that is Sub 3.00 ERA
#4 Homer Bailey in the 5 hole
#5 A Catcher that can Produce.

mlbfan30
04-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Yeah, lets try and get as many 4th Outfielders on this team as Possible. The Reds need that as much as the other Post Suggesting Frank Thomas?

Help!

Castro - Done
Valentin
Ross
Patterson
Coffey
Fogg
Beilise - I still think he can be good

This team needs

EE #1 Right Handed Clean Up Hitter
Votto works #2 Legit Lead Off man
Roenicke #3 Right Handed Power Reliever that is Sub 3.00 ERA
That's easy to do #4 Homer Bailey in the 5 hole
Bako has, and Ross at least has pop #5 A Catcher that can Produce.

Hondo
04-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Edwin as the Cleanup Hitter? He needs to be in the 6-7 hole and left alone to just get good AB's... You put that guy in the 4 Hole and Watch him Crumble...

The Clean up Hitter has to be a guy that when he comes up to Bat, the other teams Pitcher is intimidated...

As for Catcher, I would like the Reds to Aquire Jarrod Saltamachia from Texas for some Prospects... The guy is a Hitter who can Catch. Switch Hitter.

Redeye fly
04-21-2008, 11:27 PM
I don't have a problem with either Burton (couple home runs aside) or Lincoln as righty relievers right now. Yeah you can almost always improve, but both those guys seem to have the stuff to miss bats... particularly Burton.

AmarilloRed
04-22-2008, 12:13 AM

Help!

Castro - Done
Valentin
Ross
Patterson
Coffey
Fogg
Beilise

This team needs

#1 Right Handed Clean Up Hitter
#2 Legit Lead Off man
#3 Right Handed Power Reliever that is Sub 3.00 ERA
#4 Homer Bailey in the 5 hole
#5 A Catcher that can Produce.

If you want a legit lead-off man, you should consider Rajai Davis. How do you know his ceiling is only as a fourth outfielder? He has in the past(I know, only in the minor leagues) stolen 30-50 bases, played outstanding defense, hit around .290, and had an OBP around .350. The only question left is whether he can do it in the major leagues. I say we give him the shot. He can scarcely do worse than Patterson has done.

AmarilloRed
04-24-2008, 01:49 AM
A's claim outfielder Davis from Giants
Speedster to add different element; Saarloos designated
By Mychael Urban / MLB.com

OAKLAND -- Looking to add some speed and defensive versatility, the A's on Wednesday claimed outfielder Rajai Davis off waivers from the Giants and designated for assignment right-hander Kirk Saarloos.