PDA

View Full Version : Juan Castro DFA

Degenerate39
04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
WOW I DIDN'T SEE THIS ONE COMING!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

This is hype.

BLarkin11
04-21-2008, 03:44 PM
It's about time. :beerme:

CarolinaRedleg
04-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Let's see...April 1 was 3 weeks ago......

Nice.

CySeymour
04-21-2008, 03:46 PM
Really, about time. No, Hairston isn't really a shortstop, but neight is Castro anymore, and at least Hairston may hit a little. Good move, Wayne, and kudos to BCast for allowing the money to go bye-bye.

AmarilloRed
Today's transactions

Prior to tonight's game, RHP Matt Belisle (sore right forearm) was reinstated from the 15-day disabled list. The contract of IF/OF Jerry Hairson Jr. was selected from Class AAA Louisville and IF Juan Castro was designated for assignment.

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2008/04/todays-transactions.asp

Hello, Hairston and Belisle; Goodbye Castro.

Degenerate39
It looks like the Reds begin their quest for the world series today!

Royals Fan
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
We need bill bray up 2 and send coffey down but not sure if we can carry 3 left handers in bullpen.

Newman4
04-21-2008, 03:48 PM
Hairston, albeit modest, is an upgrade offensively and Castro isn't exactly a defensive wizard at this point in his career.

Newman4
04-21-2008, 03:49 PM
We need bill bray up 2 and send coffey down but not sure if we can carry 3 left handers in bullpen.

Bray is probably better than Coffey right-handed. :D

Space Cowboy
Does this officially make my "Castro's Crew" T-shirt vintage?

Dracodave
I'd rather have Mr Reds on the bench than Castro. Atleast if Mr Red can't hit, we can blame the gaint foam-dome he wears..

Newman4
04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
I'd rather have Mr Reds on the bench than Castro. Atleast if Mr Red can't hit, we can blame the gaint foam-dome he wears..

He could get a ton of HBPs.

bgwilly31
04-21-2008, 03:56 PM
It looks like the Reds begin their quest for the world series today!

haha im not sure about that.

But sounds like great moves to me.

Depending on how belisile throws tonight.

Im assuming this hairston jr guy bats right handed and is going to primarily be used as a bat off the bench?

bubbachunk
04-21-2008, 04:00 PM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

finally

keeganbrick
04-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Manos de oro..................... goodbye my love

keeganbrick
04-21-2008, 04:43 PM
haha im not sure about that.

But sounds like great moves to me.

Depending on how belisile throws tonight.

Im assuming this hairston jr guy bats right handed and is going to primarily be used as a bat off the bench?

Hairston bats right handed and was hitting over .400 in AAA. He needs to be up here as a bat off the bench.

HeatherC1212
04-21-2008, 04:44 PM
It's about time! :jump:

texasdave
04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
The good:This Reds' organization has shown the willingness to DFA a 'bad' player and eat a contract.

The bad:This Reds' organization continually has to DFA 'bad' players and eat contracts.

Red in Atl
04-21-2008, 04:59 PM
The good:This Reds' organization has shown the willingness to DFA a 'bad' player and eat a contract.

The bad:This Reds' organization continually has to DFA 'bad' players and eat contracts.

Exactly. I said about the same in a thread a few weeks ago. For every Brandon Phillips, Wayne has a Rheal Cormier. Small market teams can't do this and be successful. Someone listed the money that is spent on contracts like Freels and guys like Catro. It was over 20 million + for the next couple years.

I know Bob wants to win now, but I don't think he can afford to throw away 20-30 million dollars. So if there are no takers for Freel, Fogg and the rest of the crap contracts, we will just have to get used to it.

AccordinglyReds
04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
Always liked him as a person and ballplayer, but his best days are past. Good luck, Juan! Wish you the best! :)

Mutaman
04-21-2008, 07:30 PM
Now that Castro's gone, who are the hundreds of RedZoners going to blame for the majority of this organization's problems?

mlbfan30
04-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Now that Castro's gone, who are the hundreds of RedZoners going to blame for the majority of this organization's problems?

Patterson, did you really need to ask?

Redeye fly
04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Can't forget Josh Fogg either.

04-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Wow, I never thought I see the day when Reds fans were so excited about Jerry Hairston Jr joining the team.

Redeye fly
04-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Nah, I'm pretty sure it's more about Juan Castro leaving the team.

tommycash
04-21-2008, 11:02 PM
Sit Down Castro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HIT THE ROAD JUAN AND DONT YA COME BACK, NO MORE NO MORE NO MORE NO MORE HIT THE ROAD JUAN AND DONT YA COME BACK NO MORE

HERES TO THE RELEASE OF LEAST FAVORITE RED OF ALL TIME

HOW DO YOU GET WORSE THAN DANNY GRAVES
AT LEAST GRAVES HELP US OUT AT TIMES

jimbo
04-22-2008, 03:09 AM
Sit Down Castro!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HIT THE ROAD JUAN AND DONT YA COME BACK, NO MORE NO MORE NO MORE NO MORE HIT THE ROAD JUAN AND DONT YA COME BACK NO MORE

HERES TO THE RELEASE OF LEAST FAVORITE RED OF ALL TIME

HOW DO YOU GET WORSE THAN DANNY GRAVES
AT LEAST GRAVES HELP US OUT AT TIMES

Wow, classy post.

Pretty sad at how many fans take pleasure in a player losing his job, and most likely the end his career. How many here would have given anything to have a career as a major league baseball player as Castro did? I know I would have.

Instead of congratulating a guy on a respectable career, Cincinnati fans mock him. I just don't understand.

tommycash
04-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Wow, classy post.

Pretty sad at how many fans take pleasure in a player losing his job, and most likely the end his career. How many here would have given anything to have a career as a major league baseball player as Castro did? I know I would have.

Instead of congratulating a guy on a respectable career, Cincinnati fans mock him. I just don't understand.

The man gets over 1 million dollars to go sit home, sorry if I don't praise him as the lord almighty. Last I checked, these guys are playing a game and getting millions of dollars to play it. I work 60 hours a week and take home a fraction of Juan's pay, yet my job in education is more important. Gee, sorry Juan you are a good fielder but other than that you can take your millions and get out of town. Since I pay for Reds merchandise and for Reds tickets, I think I get the right to have an opinion the subject there, Sunshine.

markymark69
04-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Always liked him as a person and ballplayer, but his best days are past. Good luck, Juan! Wish you the best! :)

Couldn't agree with you more.

Newman4
04-22-2008, 11:01 AM
The man gets over 1 million dollars to go sit home, sorry if I don't praise him as the lord almighty. Last I checked, these guys are playing a game and getting millions of dollars to play it. I work 60 hours a week and take home a fraction of Juan's pay, yet my job in education is more important. Gee, sorry Juan you are a good fielder but other than that you can take your millions and get out of town. Since I pay for Reds merchandise and for Reds tickets, I think I get the right to have an opinion the subject there, Sunshine.

Exactly, it ain't like ol' Juan is going to starve on his 1 million + buyout.

tommycash
04-22-2008, 11:19 AM
Exactly, it ain't like ol' Juan is going to starve on his 1 million + buyout.

Thank you. I don't think we hate Castro. I think it is the fact that he has had only one good year in his career and the Reds kept bringing him back. He has no real value for us except as a defensive replacement. I can think of a bunch of guys who could do the same defensively and produce more as a hitter and cost less. Bowden loved him, and Krivsky loved him. This man will get a major league pension and take his earned money ( which according to baseball-reference.com is over 6 million dollars) and get into coaching or sit at home, or play somewhere else. It is easy to dislike someone who gets paid a ton of money who is not that good at the major league level. And to keep bringing him back when no one likes him, felt like a slap in the face.

bounty37h
04-22-2008, 02:12 PM

You sound more bitter about your own life then anything with the way you wrote that. I know what you are trying to say, as I work in a field like you that doesnt pay its worth for society, but to hold that against others will only make you more bitter about it, hate the game, not the player :) I agree that bashing Juan does nothing positive either way, sorry it didnt work out for him, and hope he has nothing but the best in whatever comes his way now.

tommycash
04-22-2008, 02:43 PM
You sound more bitter about your own life then anything with the way you wrote that. I know what you are trying to say, as I work in a field like you that doesnt pay its worth for society, but to hold that against others will only make you more bitter about it, hate the game, not the player :) I agree that bashing Juan does nothing positive either way, sorry it didnt work out for him, and hope he has nothing but the best in whatever comes his way now.

I am very happy with my own life. I am just very happy that he is gone. He was not a favorite of mine, and I showed jubilation for his exit on my original post. I think most people here agree with me. These guys get paid a ton of money, and that is fine with me, but when they don't do well they deserve criticism. This isn't high school or college. These are big boys, and if you get paid over a million dollars as part of a severence package, I am not gonna sit here and say thanks Juan, and sorry it didn't work out for you. He should not have been brought back. i don't dislike him personally, as I don't dislike any player personally that I don't personally know. We shouldn't say sorry to Juan Castro, the Reds don't either, they paid him over a million dollars. They paid Mike Stanton over 3 million to go home. They are being paid money because they performed their jobs poorly. A man works at a factory for 29 years and can retire in one year. He gets fired due to cutbacks a few months before he can retire and they give him a gold watch for his years of service. He should be told sorry, not some guy that plays a game and becomes obsolete and is given millions to go home. And now I am writing a letter on a message board to defend my jubilation that Castro is gone and now someone better can come in. I don't hate him personally, I just want someone better on the team so the team can be better. Does this explination help everyone.

peebs
04-22-2008, 02:51 PM
I have been surprised that the Red's have kept Juan around as long as they did. The real question is what happens when Gonzalez and Ross return to the club?

GoReds33
04-22-2008, 09:52 PM
The real question is what happens when Gonzalez and Ross return to the club?That's a good question. I thought that Castro would be gone when Gonzo came back, but this makes it much more interesting.

Chris Sabowned
04-22-2008, 10:01 PM
First of all I have to celebrate. :party: :wave: :party:

I have been surprised that the Red's have kept Juan around as long as they did. The real question is what happens when Gonzalez and Ross return to the club?

Hatteberg is still being shopped im guessing. Javie Davie should be gone when Ross gets back. And I wouldn't be suprised if Hopper or Freel are dealt at some point.