PDA

View Full Version : Matt Belisle Is Unlucky...Again

04-21-2008, 08:53 PM
I tell you, that Matt Belisle is one unlucky pitcher. He only seems to pitch on days when the other team scores lots of runs. Talk about bad luck. :D

Redeye fly
04-21-2008, 09:05 PM
This is where I think too many people can get carried away with stats like BABIP and such when determining a pitcher's luck. Sure, it has relevance... especially if there's a big fluctuation from one year to the next. But at the same time pitchers with better stuff who hit their spots consistently are probably going to have lower BABIP numbers regardless because when hitters do make contact it's generally not going to be as solid and will be more of the weak grounder or pop up and fly out variety.

Belisle's problem isn't his stuff. His fastball the times I've watched him generally seems to have pretty good movement and decent velocity and he'll offer some good breaking and offspeed stuff up there too. But he's also prone to catch too much of the plate at inopportune times.

He's better than Fogg, which then again isn't saying much. But I don't think he'll ever be anything more than a pitcher you have in your rotation only because there's no better alternative at that point and time.

OUReds
04-21-2008, 09:07 PM
Belisle's unlucky tendencies seem to rather suspiciously correspond with 92 MPH fastballs in the fat part of the hitting zone.

redsupport
04-21-2008, 09:11 PM
vs atlanta, but the cure is near, belisle arrives just in time for dodgers batting practice

UK Reds Fan
04-21-2008, 09:12 PM
I tell you, that Matt Belisle is one unlucky pitcher. He only seems to pitch on days when the other team scores lots of runs. Talk about bad luck. :D

Haha...can't wait to see others stand behind BABIP, FIP ERA, etc..bottomline, dude is batting practice rather consistently. I have no problem with giving him some chances to turn it around while he is cheap, but as his arbitration numbers go up...you have to punt a guy like Belisle

LouisvilleCARDS
04-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Bailey needs to come up soon if he continues to tear it up in Triple A like this.

Mutaman
04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Just when you think Belisle is ready to step up, he delivers an embarrasingly bad performance against a team thats been hitting worse than the Reds. After yesterday's win, we had a chance to get something going and Belise looked like an amateur.

I'm running out of patience. 8 years of losing is enough. We might as well pull the plug on this season and plan for the future. What's Homer got left to prove in Louisville? Get him up here and start on the job training against big leaguers. As for Freel (can you at least make contact with a runner on third and less than two outs)and Belisle, and Fogg, and, yes Dunn (this is getting rediculous) I don't think we can win with these guys. Lets seperate the wheat from the shaff, bite the bullett on 2008, and start planning for the future. We've got some arms, we're a year or two away, lets plan accordingly.

Hondo
04-21-2008, 09:29 PM
Matt Belisle is not the savior for this team. He shouldn't be in the rotation.

Oh and Josh Fogg shouldn't be in the Bullpen. He needs to be Designated for Assignment.

AmarilloRed
04-21-2008, 09:30 PM
It's 1 bad start. Let's not Fogg him just yet

Mutaman
04-21-2008, 09:38 PM
It's 1 bad start. Let's not Fogg him just yet

You're probably right but this was really disappointing from a guy I counted on to step up a little this year.

dsmith421
04-21-2008, 09:43 PM
It just doesn't make sense. Belisle's mechanics are fine, he has a live 92 mph fastball, he can control his offspeed stuff well. And he's a batting tee.

Equally frightening to me is Brandon Phillips' regression at the plate. He's showing no patience and every swing looks aimed at parking the ball on the top of the Levee. His approach just stinks right now.

Redeye fly
04-21-2008, 09:47 PM
You have to wonder if Dusty's making him the clean up hitter at the start of the year has put more of a swing for the fences mindset in Brandon.

I think he's one of those players who presses when the team is struggling too. The offense is slumping so he thinks he needs to try to hit a home run every time up.

killuminati35
04-21-2008, 09:54 PM
He stunk tonight -- obviously -- but at this moment the Reds have only 2 runs. The way the Reds are hitting it doesn't matter how our pitchers pitch. Belisle could have given us a quality start -- and that is all we can expect from him anyway -- and he still would have lost tonight. This offense leaves no room for error. Although Belisle seems to need way, way too much room...

Hondo
04-21-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't care what anyone says. He wasn't a good pitcher before he came of the DL and isn't now. Replacing Fogg with him is Not a Moajor Upgrade...

As for the Bats? Yes there is a Problem. I suggest Battign Phillips Lead Off and go with that... He is clearly trying to be a Run Producer and is suffering for putting too much pressure on himself. Get him back to leading off and you'll see some better AB's... I know he is batting in the 2 hole, but put him Lead off...

BLEEDS
04-21-2008, 10:37 PM

Well at least we agree on something!

Matt Belisle has the most unlucky STUFF I've ever seen. Which is another way of saying he is VERY HITTABLE.

Not many slow dribblers to 3rd base, they all seem to "unluckily" be smacked through the infield or into the bleachers.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

AmarilloRed
04-22-2008, 12:48 AM
He does give up a lot of hits, as witnessed by 366 hits in 312 IP. Thats adds up to a career .296 BAA. That is balanced out by a low walk total. He is beginning to remind me a bit of Kyle Lohse; he either has games where he is very hittable as compared to other games where he is much better. I would just like to see some better consistancy from Matt.

Legion of Dunn
04-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Eerie timing, huh? You could see this one coming a mile away. Woulda been better if they'd scored 30 in Atlanta.

BLEEDS
04-22-2008, 07:06 AM
He does give up a lot of hits, as witnessed by 366 hits in 312 IP. Thats adds up to a career .296 BAA. That is balanced out by a low walk total. He is beginning to remind me a bit of Kyle Lohse; he either has games where he is very hittable as compared to other games where he is much better. I would just like to see some better consistancy from Matt.

I agree he SORTA reminds me of Kyle Lohse. All of the Bad Kyle Lohse, and none of the Good Kyle Lohse.

His next "Good Kyle Lohse" start will be his first.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

AmarilloRed
04-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I agree he SORTA reminds me of Kyle Lohse. All of the Bad Kyle Lohse, and none of the Good Kyle Lohse.

His next "Good Kyle Lohse" start will be his first.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

He was not always "Bad Matt" last year. He had 11 quality starts, 8 starts where he surrendered 4 ER, and 10 "Bad Matt" starts where he gave up 5+ er. I think we can give him more than 1 start.

BLEEDS
04-23-2008, 11:29 AM
He was not always "Bad Matt" last year. He had 11 quality starts, 8 starts where he surrendered 4 ER, and 10 "Bad Matt" starts where he gave up 5+ er. I think we can give him more than 1 start.

Over half of those - 6 - were against PIT and HOU, now THAT is what I call "LUCKY"...

His other ones were:
v STL - 7 innings September 11th, 2 ER, 7 hits, 2 BB (1.28 WHIP) 5K
@NYM - 7 innings July 14th, 1 ER, 9 hits, 2 BB (1.57 WHIP) 6 K (nice!)
@OAK - 6 innings Jun 20, 1 ER (1 UE), 4 hits, 4 BB (1.33 WHIP) 1 K
v CLE - 6 innings Jun 3, 3 ER, 5 hits, 3 BB (1.33 WHIP) 5K
@ ARI - 6 innings Apr 11, 1 ER, 3 hits, 1 BB (.667 WHIP nice!) 3 K

The METs definitely were a quality opponent, as well as ARI and CLE - CLE had just pounded him for 10 hits and 4 ER in 5.2 three starts earlier - but other than that color me NOT impressed. 1 quality opponent QS after JUN 3rd and one WHIP under 1.33. Not quite ready for a #3 spot IMO.

Only 3 of those were over 6 innings

All but 3 of those never got to the 6th inning.

And, the one start you missed, was a NON-Quality start - 5 innings, 7 hits, 2 ER's, against?!?! If you guessed HOU or PIT - you are correct!! PIT!!

How anyone could say this guy was better than Kyle Lohse, who had 10 QS's by July 6th and 15 on the year, including 8 starts where he gave up 1 or less (3 SO's); only 8 "BAD STARTS" per your basis the entire year, only 2 of which were after June, and had a WHIP of 1.34 for his 21 starts in Cincy.

Lemme guess - he must be LUCKY!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS