PDA

View Full Version : NFL Mock Draft

WVRed
04-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Doing my own. Haven't factored in trades though. I will post a second round either tonight or tomorrow.

1.*1.Miami-Jake Long(OT-Michigan)
2.St Louis-Glenn Dorsey(DT-LSU)
3.Atlanta-Matt Ryan(QB-Boston College)
4.Oakland-Darren McFadden(RB-Arkansas)
5.Kansas City-Vernon Gholston(DE-Ohio State)
6.New York Jets-Chris Long(DE-Virginia)
7.New England-Leodis McKelvin(CB-Troy)
8.Baltimore-Ryan Clady(OT-Boise St)
9.Cincinnati-Sedrick Ellis(DT-USC)
10.New Orleans-Keith Rivers(LB-USC)
11.Buffalo-Devin Thomas(WR-Michigan State)
12.Denver-Brandon Albert(OG-Virginia)
13.Carolina-Derrick Harvey(DE-Florida)
14.Chicago-Rashard Mendenhall(RB-Illinois)
15.Detroit-Jonathan Stewart(RB-Oregon)
16.Arizona-Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie(CB-Tennessee St)
17.Kansas City-Chris Williams(OT-Vanderbilt)
18.Houston-Jeff Otah(OT-Pitt)
19.Philadelphia-DeSean Jackson(WR-Cal)
20.Tampa Bay-Mike Jenkins(CB-South Florida)
21.Washington-Limas Sweed(WR-Texas)
22.Dallas-Felix Jones(RB-Arkansas)
23.Pittsburgh-James Hardy(WR-Indiana)
24.Tennessee-Malcolm Kelly(WR-Oklahoma)
25.Seattle-Kentwan Balmer(DT-North Carolina)
26.Jacksonville-Phillip Merling(DE-Clemson)
27.San Diego-Gosder Cherilus(OT-Boston College)
28.Dallas-Aquib Talib(CB-Kansas)
29.San Francisco-Lawrence Jackson(DE-USC)
30.Green Bay-Dustin Keller(TE-Purdue)
31.New York Giants-Kenny Phillips(S-Miami)

flyer85
04-24-2008, 10:42 AM
one thing I have read is that the Saints want a DT(considering trying to move up to #2 to get Dorsey) and if Ellis is still there at #8 will likely try to leapfrog the Bengals to get him.

Tony Cloninger
04-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Yes...i heard that also and I could see it happening.

Might as well draft the USC LB then or trade down and hope DALL wants to trade up.

BuckeyeRedleg
04-24-2008, 01:39 PM

That's who I took for Chicago in our Redszone mock draft. I think the pick was somewhat scrutinized, but I think it's a good pick.

GoReds33
04-24-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that St. Louis is going to take Ryan with the second pick. That is of course if they don't trade it first.

WVRed
04-24-2008, 10:20 PM
I don't know why, but I have a feeling that St. Louis is going to take Ryan with the second pick. That is of course if they don't trade it first.

I think they could wait a year or address it maybe in the second round. Bulger is stable enough that it is not an issue.

If anything, they need to rebuild the O-line, which is why a trade down would make more sense. Trade down with the Saints, let them take Dorsey, and take Ryan Clady or Brandon Albert at 10.

SteelSD
04-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Hmn. I don't see the Steelers taking Jake Hardy. I understand that Ben has requested a tall receiver, but he should also be requesting that he not lay flat on his back as much as he has. Knowing that solid wideouts can be found after round one and also knowing that the Steelers need O-line help in a major way, I'd expect them to select an offensive lineman. And unless you've completely botched the job on scouting, a solid college OL should be able to produce pretty quickly.

Steelers pick: OL Gosder Cherilus- Boston College

dsmith421
04-25-2008, 01:36 AM
This whole draft is playing up to the moment when the Bengals select Rashard Mendenhall. You know it's happening. You know it's a horrendous idea, and yet you know that the band of half-wits and inbred morons that comprise the Bengals scouting department think it's a wonderful idea.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-25-2008, 01:49 AM
With the Cowboys getting Pacman(ugh), I doubt they draft a corner in the first round now.

Most likely they'll grab the best RB/WR combo available. Felix Jones is probably spot on. The WR is up for debate. I'd like them to take James Hardy if he's there at 28.

WMR
04-25-2008, 02:05 AM
How do you feel about them taking another risk on with Pacman?

They've got a few "questionable" types on that team now, don't they?

BTW: Could you tell Bphillips to give us more "TACO" and less "TICO"??

HumnHilghtFreel
04-25-2008, 02:23 AM
How do you feel about them taking another risk on with Pacman?

They've got a few "questionable" types on that team now, don't they?

BTW: Could you tell Bphillips to give us more "TACO" and less "TICO"??

IF, and it's a pretty big if, Pacman can stay out of trouble... he can be a HUGE addition. Newman/Pacman/Henry would be a pretty damn good secondary, possibly even make up for how bad Roy Williams is in coverage. Then toss in what Jones can bring to the special teams.

But like you said, it just puts another questionable personality on the team. I expect it will be a circus this year, but that's what Jerry Jones wants. The man loves his attention.

And I'll send BP the memo:D

Screwball
04-25-2008, 02:59 AM

That'd be a great pick, and I hope they don't make it.

Mario-Rijo
04-25-2008, 04:13 AM
Doing my own. Haven't factored in trades though. I will post a second round either tonight or tomorrow.

1.*1.Miami-Jake Long(OT-Michigan)
2.St Louis-Glenn Dorsey(DT-LSU)
3.Atlanta-Matt Ryan(QB-Boston College)
4.Oakland-Darren McFadden(RB-Arkansas)
5.Kansas City-Vernon Gholston(DE-Ohio State)
6.New York Jets-Chris Long(DE-Virginia)
7.New England-Leodis McKelvin(CB-Troy)
8.Baltimore-Ryan Clady(OT-Boise St)
9.Cincinnati-Sedrick Ellis(DT-USC)
10.New Orleans-Keith Rivers(LB-USC)
11.Buffalo-Devin Thomas(WR-Michigan State)
12.Denver-Brandon Albert(OG-Virginia)
13.Carolina-Derrick Harvey(DE-Florida)
15.Detroit-Jonathan Stewart(RB-Oregon)
16.Arizona-Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie(CB-Tennessee St)
17.Kansas City-Chris Williams(OT-Vanderbilt)
18.Houston-Jeff Otah(OT-Pitt)
19.Philadelphia-DeSean Jackson(WR-Cal)
20.Tampa Bay-Mike Jenkins(CB-South Florida)
21.Washington-Limas Sweed(WR-Texas)
22.Dallas-Felix Jones(RB-Arkansas)
23.Pittsburgh-James Hardy(WR-Indiana)
24.Tennessee-Malcolm Kelly(WR-Oklahoma)
25.Seattle-Kentwan Balmer(DT-North Carolina)
26.Jacksonville-Phillip Merling(DE-Clemson)
27.San Diego-Gosder Cherilus(OT-Boston College)
28.Dallas-Aquib Talib(CB-Kansas)
29.San Francisco-Lawrence Jackson(DE-USC)
30.Green Bay-Dustin Keller(TE-Purdue)
31.New York Giants-Kenny Phillips(S-Miami)

That is a solid mock. I may try a few picks here and try to look at it a bit different I.E. throw some things out there for everyone to chew on.

2.) St. Louis - Vernon Gholston DE OSU
Jim Haslett is a pressure the QB kind of guy and pass rushers off the edge are not easy to come by. Haslett enjoyed previous success with an OSU DE in Will Smith and coupled with Glenn Dorsey's recently healed (?) microfracture and Chris Long being more of a tweener 3-4 DE/4-3 DT status Gholston gets the nod. Although I'm sure they would be happy with any of the 3 Gholston is the better fit here IMO.
3.) Atl - Glenn Dorsey DT LSU
My guess here is that freshman head coach Mike Smith would probrably prefer Chris Long, Dorsey is the better fit both on the field and from a PR standpoint for the organization. After the Vick saga and the ensuing Petrino debacle the Falcons need something to excite an apathetic fan base. Dorsey fits the bill in every way.
4.) NYJ - Chris Long DE VA.
There is some talk that Oakland is looking to trade back to acquire additional picks. I see this as a real possibility for a host of reasons the main one being that K.C. just dealt away there starting DE and would likely take Chris Long at #5. Oakland would love to have Long but also like McFadden and with KC not likely to choose him with LJ on board it forces KC to reach a bit for Ryan Clady. So Oakland gets one of the 2 they like, get's extra picks and gets to screw KC over at the same time and the Jets get one of the few guys that make sense for them here and can then deal off Robertson (to Cincy perhaps) to recoup a pick.
5.) K.C. - Ryan Clady OT Boise State
This is an obvious need but I suspect that KC would have rather selected this position with there pick from Minny for Allen, perhaps Williamns from Vandy. One possibility however is Mckelvin but I think it's a tad high for him also and again Clady is a neccessity while McKelvin is not.
6.) Oak - Darren Mcfadden RB Arkansas
Actually I wouldn't be surprised at another deal here to maybe Dallas but it may be too high for Dallas to get too. It's not a logical fit with all the RB's in that stable but since when is logic a part of the equation in Oakland.
7.) N.O. - Sedrick Ellis DT USC
N.O. gets the guy they want before he can get to Cincy and N.E. get's a 2nd or 3rd rounder to help balance out the loss of their original 1st rounder due to dirty pool. Plus N.E. get's out of paying additional dollars for a spot which really doesn't suit their needs.
8.) Baltimore - Matt Ryan QB BC
Baltimore get's their man and w/o having to move up to do it. He is the most logical pick in every way, so not many reasons to expound here.
9.) Cincy - The Bengals find themselves in the most unenviable position possible. Can't move up, can't move down and not really any ideal fits to suit them. And according to Marvin you take the BPA in that position which just happens to be a position that they have already addressed numerous times in the offseason LB and Keith Rivers USC. The other possibilities are McKelvin and Brandon Albert. So this fearless predictor says.....

With 9th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft the Cincinnati Bengals select: Keith Rivers LB USC. Hey what can I say it just makes the most sense.

10.) N.E. - Leodis McKelvin CB Troy
While Belichick likes to pay little for DB's this is the best fit for them on the field after losing Asante Samuel to FA. McKelvin will also help out big time in the Pats return teams. I was split here with McKelvin and Albert but nobody pays top 10 money to rookie guards. But if anyone would throw you a curve and do it it's N.E.

WVRed
04-25-2008, 09:50 AM
IMO, the team to watch is Kansas City. They are in full rebuilding mode and could stockpile picks, aka Jared Allen. If Matt Ryan is gone before Baltimore selects, I don't see New England trading out because the Ravens could take McKelvin. Kansas City could get Clady at 10 possibly and add a second and/or third round pick.

Hmn. I don't see the Steelers taking Jake Hardy. I understand that Ben has requested a tall receiver, but he should also be requesting that he not lay flat on his back as much as he has. Knowing that solid wideouts can be found after round one and also knowing that the Steelers need O-line help in a major way, I'd expect them to select an offensive lineman. And unless you've completely botched the job on scouting, a solid college OL should be able to produce pretty quickly.

I don't disagree with your logic at all. I thought about Cherilus, but thought he was somewhat of a reach at that point. The only problem is there aren't any tall receivers left after Sweed, Hardy, and Kelly, so it is pretty bare.

If Otah or Williams slipped, those two would definitely go to the Steelers. It's an easy call. One mock I read had the Steelers taking Phillip Merling, who would be a solid DE in a 3-4.

SteelSD
04-25-2008, 11:01 AM
I don't disagree with your logic at all. I thought about Cherilus, but thought he was somewhat of a reach at that point. The only problem is there aren't any tall receivers left after Sweed, Hardy, and Kelly, so it is pretty bare.

If Otah or Williams slipped, those two would definitely go to the Steelers. It's an easy call. One mock I read had the Steelers taking Phillip Merling, who would be a solid DE in a 3-4.

I don't see Otah or Williams making it past the first 15 picks. Should one slide, yeah. Absolutely. But I can't envision any scenario in which they will. After Cherilus, I view the OL dropoff as being pretty severe and Pittsburgh needs a Right Tackle badly. Should Cherilus be gone, then I could see Pittsburgh trading down and possibly grabbing Hardy at the top of the second round. Hardy does intrigue me as he's one of the "athlete" types Pitt likes to draft.

TeamSelig
04-25-2008, 02:50 PM
So it appears that we will end up with Keith Rivers. I'm not real big on college football, so I'm not sure how good he is. Will he be able to make an impact early on? Potential to be a star player?

joshnky
04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
So it appears that we will end up with Keith Rivers. I'm not real big on college football, so I'm not sure how good he is. Will he be able to make an impact early on? Potential to be a star player?

I hate the idea of drafting a LB in the first round. Rivers is good but that is a position where you can find very capable players later in the draft. I'd rather the Bengals draft McKelvin if he is available if Ellis is gone. At least with McKelvin you can jettison Deltha O'Neal and dramaitically upgrade the return game.

WVRed
04-25-2008, 07:53 PM
I hate the idea of drafting a LB in the first round. Rivers is good but that is a position where you can find very capable players later in the draft. I'd rather the Bengals draft McKelvin if he is available if Ellis is gone. At least with McKelvin you can jettison Deltha O'Neal and dramaitically upgrade the return game.

My problem with that is this:

2006:Jonathan Joseph
2007:Leon Hall
2008:...

Do you really want to have the notoriety of the Detroit Lions for selecting the same position player within three years?:)

If Ellis isn't there, then take Keith Rivers.

joshnky
04-25-2008, 08:32 PM
My problem with that is this:

2006:Jonathan Joseph
2007:Leon Hall
2008:...

Do you really want to have the notoriety of the Detroit Lions for selecting the same position player within three years?:)

If Ellis isn't there, then take Keith Rivers.

I agree but it was definitely a position of need and still is if one of the two does not pan out. IMO, McKelvin can help the Bengals a lot more next year than Rivers playing in the nickel and transforming an anemic return game. He might even push for one of the two starting spots. I don't know too much about him but everything I've read suggests that he is going to be something special while Rivers just has the distinction of being the best LB available.

It seems like a moot point, however; because every mock I've seen has him going to either NE or Baltimore.

TeamSelig
04-26-2008, 12:12 AM
FWIW - from everything I've read, all we need is to put some pressure on the QB and it will take a load off our secondary. Improving the D-line = two birds, one stone?

I don't see us landing Ellis though, he seems to be too highly regarded.

WMR
04-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Pray for Ellis :pray:

Tony Cloninger
04-26-2008, 02:19 AM
I know Bengals draft for BPA....but how much of a drop is to get the 3rd best DT? If that DT will go in the first round....why does it matter?

Why not draft a S....... CB is fine with me also.....who cares if it's 3 years in a row? If it was Riley...Parrish.....and Blount....type talent ...that would be good for the team ..... You still need some sort of pass rush.

LoganBuck
04-26-2008, 07:38 AM
The Bengals may need to trade up to get Ellis. If that is the case do it. Drafting for need is typically bad, but this fills a need that has been around for twenty years. If New England doesn't take him the Saints will trade up to do it.

WVRed
04-26-2008, 10:05 AM
My only fear if Ellis is off the board is that the pick will be Mendenhall. Either way I look for RB to be addressed with our first two picks, which is sad considering our defense is a bigger need.

I know Bengals draft for BPA....but how much of a drop is to get the 3rd best DT? If that DT will go in the first round....why does it matter?

Why not draft a S....... CB is fine with me also.....who cares if it's 3 years in a row? If it was Riley...Parrish.....and Blount....type talent ...that would be good for the team ..... You still need some sort of pass rush.

Kentwan Balmer is the best available DT after Ellis and Dorsey, and he could be had late in the first round. As far as safety, Kenny Phillips is a late first rounder in a very weak safety class.

Taking McKelvin or Cromartie would be probably just as bad as taking Mendenhall.

joshnky
04-26-2008, 10:53 AM
My opinion of the first pick:

Great pick:
Ellis or trade down

Decent Pick:
Rivers
McKelvin

Awful Pick:
Any WR or RB other than McFadden
Trading up to snag Ellis (too many holes in this team to trade away picks, maybe for Dorsey but not Ellis)

Abysmal Pick that makes me hate the Bengals:
Any of the top offensive linemen