PDA

View Full Version : Miracle???

CWRed
04-25-2008, 02:53 PM
From Dusty...

"Sometimes I think we cut our losses too quickly," he said. "Who'd have guessed that Colorado would have played in the World Series last year? What if they had taken stock and said, 'No chance.' That's why it's hard for me to do that. Maybe I'm old, but I believe in miracles still."

So if I'm a player and my team is struggling the first thing I want to hear is my manager already saying that it would be a miracle for the team to win...after 22 games.

Dusty Baker is the worst hire since.....oh ok, since Dan O' Brien. What would be a miracle is if Dusty could construct a lineup to take advantage of the players' strengths and weaknesses. For example, the best 3 hitters on the team the past 2 weeks have batted 6th, 7th, and 8th almost every day. And if I see one more meaningless double-switch...:thumbdown

BurgervilleBuck
04-25-2008, 02:58 PM
...you'll quit being a Reds fan? Please do. I'd rather it be that than have to lose IQ points and time from my lifespan reading thought-free drivel.

Did you actually read what he said or did you just latch on to the words "I believe in miracles"? Read it in the context that it's meant, he's saying "don't give up on us yet", not "lordy, I hope Jesus come and heal me a baseball team".

Think before you post, please.

ChatterRed
04-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Sometimes I think it will take a miracle for them to win. ;)

IowaRed
04-25-2008, 04:04 PM
I agree that Baker is the worst hire since Dan O'brien and I actually think he will overtake O'brien by the time he's done in Cincinnati, but this is much ado about nothing. Wait 24 hours, he will say something REALLY post-worthy

CWRed
04-25-2008, 09:00 PM
...you'll quit being a Reds fan? Please do. I'd rather it be that than have to lose IQ points and time from my lifespan reading thought-free drivel.

Did you actually read what he said or did you just latch on to the words "I believe in miracles"? Read it in the context that it's meant, he's saying "don't give up on us yet", not "lordy, I hope Jesus come and heal me a baseball team".

Think before you post, please.

Yes, I will quit being a Reds fan. That's an intelligent post.I read the whole thing. I'm just saying Dusty says idiotic things whether he means them or not. But I love the Dusty apologists. Gives me something to do.

killuminati35
04-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Every single thing Dusty Baker says is scrutinized to absolute freakin' DEATH on this board. Dusty is a colorful, outspoken kind of guy. It is absolutely ridiculous to pile on like this after every interview he gives. People need to relax.

But just for the sake of argument, lets take your premise seriously -- that Baker really thinks it will take a miracle for this team to win. In other words, you are criticizing the man for giving up on his team already. Yet you have already given up on Dusty. In fact, from the tone of your post, you gave up on Dusty before he managed a single game. Isn't it a little hypocritical on your part? As you said, its only been 22 games...

Also, do you really think the Reds would be hitting any better if the line-ups were changed? It doesn't matter how the lineups are constructed right now, people are not hitting in clutch situations. It's not Dusty's fault. Period.

tommycash
04-25-2008, 10:44 PM
Say what you want about O'Brien but he did sign Cueto and he drafted Bruce, so he wasn't all that bad. The jury is still out on Baker. I will make my opinion of him at a later date. We still have time.

CWRed
04-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Every single thing Dusty Baker says is scrutinized to absolute freakin' DEATH on this board. Dusty is a colorful, outspoken kind of guy. It is absolutely ridiculous to pile on like this after every interview he gives. People need to relax.

But just for the sake of argument, lets take your premise seriously -- that Baker really thinks it will take a miracle for this team to win. In other words, you are criticizing the man for giving up on his team already. Yet you have already given up on Dusty. In fact, from the tone of your post, you gave up on Dusty before he managed a single game. Isn't it a little hypocritical on your part? As you said, its only been 22 games...

Also, do you really think the Reds would be hitting any better if the line-ups were changed? It doesn't matter how the lineups are constructed right now, people are not hitting in clutch situations. It's not Dusty's fault. Period.

Got this from another post from a very astute fan. 'Nuff said...Of course it's not all Dusty's fault. But this shows he has no idea what he is doing...

Here is the Reds lineup by batting spot with OBP/OPS

Code:
1: .324/.772
2: .311/.709
3: .304/.706
4: .306/.699
5: .417/.849
6: .362/.805
7: .341/.950
8: .389/.839

I don't think I need to explain anything when looking at that. The highest OBP ranks as such

Code:
5: .417
8: .389
6: .362
7: .341
1: .324
2: .311
4: .306
3: .304

killuminati35
04-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Those numbers mean absolutely nothing to me. The only legitimate complaint in regards to line-up construction is the people occupying the lead-off spot. There is no reason to put CF in the lead off spot on a regular basis. With that said, however, think back to several games this season when the lead off man gets on base -- or even doubles. Do the following hitters get him in? No. This team is not getting timely hits. Dusty could pick the lineup out of a hat and it would make absolutely no difference at this point.

This is such an unfair criticism of Dusty. He's handled the young pitchers fine so far, so I guess people need to find something to complain about.

bm1475
04-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Big Dust is far from the biggest issue with this team. Until they start getting something consistently out of Dunn, Griffey, Phillips and the CF/leadoff spot, it's going to be hard to score runs. Right now you're looking at the three most feared hitters in the lineup doing nothing much. Not many teams in the league could win when that happens.

killuminati35
04-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Big Dust is far from the biggest issue with this team. Until they start getting something consistently out of Dunn, Griffey, Phillips and the CF/leadoff spot, it's going to be hard to score runs. Right now you're looking at the three most feared hitters in the lineup doing nothing much. Not many teams in the league could win when that happens.

My point exactly.

CWRed
04-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Key hits are not the biggest problem. But since stats mean nothing to most on this thread I won't point out that the Reds RISP is .253, or better than the Cubs, who are in first place. While .253 is not great, the problem is not getting enough people on base. That is how you score. Dusty Baker does not get people on base by having the lowest OBP guys in the top of the lineup. Simple. Obvious. Read The Enquirer today. Best article I've seen in a ong time.

04-27-2008, 04:25 PM
Key hits are not the biggest problem. But since stats mean nothing to most on this thread I won't point out that the Reds RISP is .253, or better than the Cubs, who are in first place. While .253 is not great, the problem is not getting enough people on base. That is how you score. Dusty Baker does not get people on base by having the lowest OBP guys in the top of the lineup. Simple. Obvious. Read The Enquirer today. Best article I've seen in a ong time.

Stats do mean something, it is just that this early in the season, due to the small sample size, there are many forces that effect the stats that would not effect them later in the season.

The BA with RISP is a good example as you and Erardi point out . It really isn't the average that is important, it is the number of opportunities.

Another key factor is that much of the Reds offensive numbers have been inflated by five games in which they scored 8 or more runs. The 20 other games, the Reds average 2.95 runs a game. This will give players good stats, but doesn't lead to a good winning percentage. If you take out those 5 games, I am sure the teams avg. with RISP is well below league average.

I agree that Dusty does not make good lineups, but that is not the main problem. The main problem is that too many players have not hit consistently.

Rounding Third
04-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Those numbers mean absolutely nothing to me. The only legitimate complaint in regards to line-up construction is the people occupying the lead-off spot. There is no reason to put CF in the lead off spot on a regular basis. With that said, however, think back to several games this season when the lead off man gets on base -- or even doubles. Do the following hitters get him in? No. This team is not getting timely hits. Dusty could pick the lineup out of a hat and it would make absolutely no difference at this point.

This is such an unfair criticism of Dusty. He's handled the young pitchers fine so far, so I guess people need to find something to complain about.

That was my post BTW.

Did you even read the numbers? Your most productive players should not be at the bottom of the lineup. Up in the lineup means more at bats, which means your better players will get more at bats.

Congrats Dusty for not breaking our young pitchers arms. Should that really be something we have to congratulate him on? My little brother could not wreck our pitchers arm.s