PDA

View Full Version : Paul Bako-Starting Catcher?

AmarilloRed
04-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Ok, I know it's a small sample size and it might just be a career year AKA David Ross 2006. His career numbers are not very good either: .309 OBP, .322 Slg. and a .237 BA. Add to that the fact that he's 36, and he would not be somebody you would normally be saying this about. Still, he's doing pretty good. His 2008 numbers: 19 games, 64 ab, 8 runs, 21 hits, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 10 rbi, 35 total bases, 9 walks, 13 strikeouts, a .411 obp, a .541 slg., .328 ba. How the *&^%$#@ does a catcher get 2 triples? They aren't exactly fast, you know. He has also thrown out 7 baserunners.

At the very least he should give the Reds good reason to DFA Valentin. Valentin spot's on the team was as the Reds catcher who could hit, and Bako has done much better than Valentin in that department. I could very well see a platoon of Ross/Bako until Bako cools off somewhat. It is very likely Bako could still turn into a pumpkin, but it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, a platoon would be a very good idea.

goreds2
04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Marty was commenting last night on how Bako has been the most pleasant surprise on the Reds thus far. Yes, he should start. You gotta go with the hot hand.

Marty also commented the Bronson was the biggest disappointment and that was not even including his singing.

jmac
04-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok, I know it's a small sample size and it might just be a career year AKA David Ross 2006. His career numbers are not very good either: .309 OBP, .322 Slg. and a .237 BA. Add to that the fact that he's 36, and he would not be somebody you would normally be saying this about. Still, he's doing pretty good. His 2008 numbers: 19 games, 64 ab, 8 runs, 21 hits, 4 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 10 rbi, 35 total bases, 9 walks, 13 strikeouts, a .411 obp, a .541 slg., .328 ba. How the *&^%$#@ does a catcher get 2 triples? They aren't exactly fast, you know. He has also thrown out 7 baserunners.

At the very least he should give the Reds good reason to DFA Valentin. Valentin spot's on the team was as the Reds catcher who could hit, and Bako has done much better than Valentin in that department. I could very well see a platoon of Ross/Bako until Bako cools off somewhat. It is very likely Bako could still turn into a pumpkin, but it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime, a platoon would be a very good idea.
If the option is Ross/Javy, then yes start Bako while he is hot.
What surprises me is he is hitting lefties fairly well in the games I have got to see.
I dont believe he is a long-term solution but short term, yes !

Chris Sabowned
04-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Until he stops hitting, he's the guy.

Ohioballplayer
04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Nah, I would hit Bako vs. right handers and Ross vs. left handers, the platoon will do them both some good.

ChatterRed
04-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Until he stops hitting, he's the guy.

Bingo! :thumbup: