PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton hit a granny last night!

Grounds_Crew
05-01-2008, 09:13 AM
...and he's still leading the majors in RBI with 32. I'll always root for this guy. In fact, I'll always be bitter that we let him go regardless of how Volquez turns out.

He's going to be a guartanteed All-Star this year, and for many years to come.

44Magnum
05-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Good for Josh! I am happy for him. If he can stay healthy, watch out!

scounts22
05-01-2008, 10:04 AM
...and he's still leading the majors in RBI with 32. I'll always root for this guy. In fact, I'll always be bitter that we let him go regardless of how Volquez turns out.

He's going to be a guartanteed All-Star this year, and for many years to come.

Me too. I give him all the credit in the world for being able to overcome his past and being honest about it. I wish him all the success in the world, and I'm glad he was able to make his comeback with the Reds. It is bittersweet watching him do so well with another team when it could have been here in the Nati, but good for him. All the best! :thumbup:

bounty37h
05-01-2008, 10:25 AM
I have to agree, as good as Vol seems to be, and I am not calling it a bad trade at all by any means-it was a neccesary trade-but, I do hate we had to part with him. He is one guy I will continue to follow no matter who he plays for, and there arent many players like that these days.

smoke6
05-01-2008, 10:54 AM
Good for Hammer. I'm glad we have Volquez, but I wish we would have given up Dunng or Griffey for him. Yeah, I know Hamilton has yet to play a full season...Save it.

HeatherC1212
05-01-2008, 10:57 AM
I saw that on Baseball Tonight last night and I'm SO happy that he's doing so well. I hope he keeps it up and that Voltron does for us too! :)

Caveman Techie
05-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Count me in the camp of Hamilton fans. I'm glad Volquez is here and I would of made the trade also but, I will always be a fan of Josh's.

Rounding Third
05-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Still a great trade for both teams. It would be even better if we had somebody playing centerfield named Jay Bruce.

VJoshuaV
05-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I liked having Josh Hamilton a LOT, but that trade was one of the best moves the Reds have made in quite some time. He made himself a commodity & the Reds got someone who has been the best starting pitcher on this staff so far this year. I'll take a young starting pitcher with great potential over a position player any day. Quality starting pitching @ a reasonable price has become almost extinct in MLB and you have to jump on it when the opportunity presents itself. Any doubters can just ask someone in San Fran "How we lookin?"

Homer Bailey
05-01-2008, 02:14 PM
Hamilton is on pace for 185 RBI's. Unreal.

bgwilly31
05-01-2008, 02:36 PM
If he can stay healthy, watch out!

How long does he have to stay healthy until Hamilton Haters stop saying "if he stays healthy"

bgwilly31
05-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Just throwing this out there.

Hamilton would be tied for
RUNS

Leading in HITS by 4
Leading in dbles by 2
Leading in TB by 11<<What are TB's :confused:
Leading in SLUG. .591>>to EE's .564
Leading AVG. w/ .330>>>to the enxt guy with comparable AB's Kepps .301

Losing in triples by 1 to BAKO who has 2. How in the heck does bako have two triples btw. :confused:
Losing in Hrs by 1 to EE
Losing in BB by 11 to AD
Losing in SO's he has less SO's than Griff, EE, Votto, Bako, Dunn, & BP who is actually leading this team in SO's. <<Thats bad!
Losing in OBP 3rd highest on the team below BAKO and DUNN.

AND THE BIGGEST STAT OF ALL> Which would be the main reason this team is missing Hamiltons BAT!

He would leading this team and is currently leading the MLB in RBI's

Hamilton 32 RBI's
EE, & Griff 15 RBI's
Next closest guy in the MLB only has 26 RBI's

Homer Bailey
05-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Just throwing this out there.

Hamilton would be tied for
RUNS

Leading in HITS by 4
Leading in dbles by 2
Leading in TB by 11<<What are TB's :confused:
Leading in SLUG. .591>>to EE's .564
Leading AVG. w/ .330>>>to the enxt guy with comparable AB's Kepps .301

Losing in triples by 1 to BAKO who has 2. How in the heck does bako have two triples btw. :confused:
Losing in Hrs by 1 to EE
Losing in BB by 11 to AD
Losing in SO's he has less SO's than Griff, EE, Votto, Bako, Dunn, & BP who is actually leading this team in SO's. <<Thats bad!
Losing in OBP 3rd highest on the team below BAKO and DUNN.

TB's would be total bases. Truly amazing stats so far. I hope he keeps it up.

Rounding Third
05-01-2008, 03:31 PM
Volquez is 2nd in the majors in ERA, 1st in the NL
3rd most wins in the majors, 2nd in NL
3rd in NL in strikeout ratio

I'll take Volquez on the mound and Bruce in CF over just Hamilton in CF. If only the Reds were smart enough to just bring up an all world prospect into a team that doesn't have a CFer.

bgwilly31
05-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Volquez hasnt proven much to me yet.

Hes off to a great start.

Hes pitched in 5 games.

1 against a team worse than us. Pitts.
1 against the Dodgers who was currently in an extreme rut hitting wise.
1 against SF. We all know how bad SF is.
1 against....im not sure maybe the phillies.

Point is i think a lot of people are jumping th train a little bit on this guy.

Mutaman
05-01-2008, 03:59 PM

Hes pitched in 5 games.

Have you seen him pitch? Do you have eyes?

"A week or so ago in San Diego's Petco Park, with various televisions tuned to several out-of-town games in the Padres clubhouse, future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux sat glued to the Reds game, locked in on Volquez.

"Who is this guy?" an impressed Maddux asked, as if happening upon an undiscovered gem. "

bgwilly31
05-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Have you seen him pitch? Do you have eyes?

"A week or so ago in San Diego's Petco Park, with various televisions tuned to several out-of-town games in the Padres clubhouse, future Hall of Famer Greg Maddux sat glued to the Reds game, locked in on Volquez.

"Who is this guy?" an impressed Maddux asked, as if happening upon an undiscovered gem. "

No im blind.

Facts are hes pitched in 4-5 games against struggling teams.

Those are the facts. I apologize if you dont like them.

As much as i love to see him doing well and i love to see this trade working out OK for us.

Im not yet ready to jump the train and act like hes going to be the next Greg Maddux for us.

VJoshuaV
05-01-2008, 04:28 PM
Let me help you with your facts:

We lost the Pittsburg game 0-1 and volquez is not the one who gave up the run. The other 4 games he's won are:

Philly 8-2
Chicago 9-2
LA 8-1
SF 10-1

Volquez has only given up 4 earned runs in 5 games. So far he's been VERY impressive & without him this team would be dead last right now...

Rounding Third
05-01-2008, 04:31 PM
No im blind.

Facts are hes pitched in 4-5 games against struggling teams.

Those are the facts. I apologize if you dont like them.

As much as i love to see him doing well and i love to see this trade working out OK for us.

Im not yet ready to jump the train and act like hes going to be the next Greg Maddux for us.

You want facts?

4 - 0 1.23 ERA 33Ks 29.1IP

Facts

Jack Burton
05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Congrats to Josh, he sure is mashing over there in the AL.

Orodle
05-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Hamilton hit a Granny last night?

Wow who would hit a grandma? I mean c'mon! Glad we got rid of him. ;)

schmidty622
05-01-2008, 06:32 PM

Hes pitched in 5 games.

You could make the same argument against hamilton. Small sample and all.

Keystone12
05-01-2008, 09:09 PM
RBIs are a function of batting order. There's no way Hamilton would have 32 RBI on this Reds team. No way. Not with Corey Patterson hitting in front of him.

Hamilton is a beast. Still. Calm down, people.

GoReds33
05-01-2008, 09:27 PM
I personally believe the trade has proven to be even so far. Both are great talents. Volquez means so much to the Reds right now, as Hamilton does to the Rangers. I think that this trade will prove to be a success to both organizations.

mroby85
05-01-2008, 11:51 PM
i have volquez and hamilton both on my fantasy team, if only krivsky were as smart as me ;) lol jk jk

laxtonto
05-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Im still scared of EV after watching him pitch for Frisco and OKC in the Rangers orginization. His walk rates still give me casue for concern. The fact that he hasnt given up a HR is very suprising aswell. Combine those 2, and its a recipe for a ERA jump.

Tiem will tell on this one, its even so far, hope it stays that way.

Newman4
05-02-2008, 08:50 AM
What's with the Volquez haters? :confused:

What more could someone reasonably expect out of him?

laxtonto
05-02-2008, 09:38 AM
What's with the Volquez haters? :confused:

What more could someone reasonably expect out of him?

Ived watched him pitch of and on for 2 years in the Texas system. As good as he has pitched so far, the numbers seems slightly hollow to me. Its not hate, its just that his ERA and K's say one things and some of his perpherals say something else.

A guy that has averages throughout his career over a Hr per 9 innings and is almost walking 5 guys per 9 innings this year can get bit in a hurry by the long ball.

Another thing i find suprising is that EV is averaging 1.9 GB/FB, which for a guy that historically been more of a flyball pitcher is a pretty big shift.

I want EV to do well, I really do. Its just people need to temper this unbounded enthusiam a little bit. He cant go through the entire season not giving up the big fly. Thats what has hurt him throught his carreer.

Maybe he has turned thecorner and found a way to keep the ball in the park and on the ground. Its going to take more than 5 starts versus several medicore opponets before i fully jump on the bandwagon.

VJoshuaV
05-02-2008, 10:44 AM
i have volquez and hamilton both on my fantasy team, if only krivsky were as smart as me ;) lol jk jk

I snagged Volquez in a late round as well, 55 points last week, HOT!

I've been kicking myself for not taking Hamilton as I did think about it.

bgwilly31
05-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Ived watched him pitch of and on for 2 years in the Texas system. As good as he has pitched so far, the numbers seems slightly hollow to me. Its not hate, its just that his ERA and K's say one things and some of his perpherals say something else.

A guy that has averages throughout his career over a Hr per 9 innings and is almost walking 5 guys per 9 innings this year can get bit in a hurry by the long ball.

Another thing i find suprising is that EV is averaging 1.9 GB/FB, which for a guy that historically been more of a flyball pitcher is a pretty big shift.

I want EV to do well, I really do. Its just people need to temper this unbounded enthusiam a little bit. He cant go through the entire season not giving up the big fly. Thats what has hurt him throught his carreer.

Maybe he has turned thecorner and found a way to keep the ball in the park and on the ground. Its going to take more than 5 starts versus several medicore opponets before i fully jump on the bandwagon.

completely agree and well said.

CarolinaRedleg
05-02-2008, 03:07 PM
And his new team is worse than his old team.

Scott Botkins
05-02-2008, 03:19 PM
And Volquez is 4-0 :)

INRedsFan
05-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Let's help vote Josh and Volquez onto the All-Star team!

jfleur87
05-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Another Fact:

Rangers: 13-19
Reds: 12-20

It seems that its a push, new topic?