PDA

View Full Version : Just some thoughts/opinions

BUTLER REDSFAN
05-02-2008, 10:34 PM
1. Bako-Decent enough to stay thru the year I guess.
2.Votto-Could be 1st baseman for years to come..Can't ever get any momentum going because Baker insists on rest or Hatteburg every 3rd day.
3.Phillips-Fantastic defensively but seems to be thinking about 30-30 too much at the plate and looks absolutlely lost.
4.Keppinger-No real complaints but just falling into the same offensive morass as everyone else.
5.Encarnacion-Outside of the throwing errors, one of the few candles in the offensive darkness
6. Dunn-I'm sorry people but my opinion is he only cares about getting his 40home runs a year--Where has his vaunted 40 homers a year gotten us?
5.Patterson at 3.5k a year--Baker's long lost son or has pictures of Dusty cheating on his wife?? 3.5 to be picked off once a game and 3 flyouts..Dont get this at all...Freel obviously in Dusty's doghouse and not sure why :(
6. Griffey--is at this rate going to take midway thru June to get 600..and by then no one left to care.
7. Starting pitching? For the most part, great. They should sue for non-support. Harang will end up 4-15 with a 2.50 ERA
8. Bullpen-Same as the starting pitching
9. Defense-outside of Edwin a few times no real complaints.
10. Baserunning-Little League variety and causes explosive flatuence
11. Coaching--Baker running the almost exact same lineup on a nightly basis and expecting different results? Insanity---Jacoby- what does he do exactly? Pole-another thread earlier today said it perfectly(about Cueto not throwing the same after the season started and only Soto can do something about it)..Constant mysteries why players do so well in Triple AAA then make it to here and fall apart? Bruce and Bailey languish in AAA but we can watch the senior citizens Griffey/Hatteburg/Merker/Weathers every night?
12. Front office-Multiple owners,GM's, etc...Castellini no patience whatsoever.

BUTLER REDSFAN
05-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Also, the hitting(or lack thereof). I know people say that it is because of poorly constructed lineups but these are supposed to be major league batters up there. They still have a bat in their hands and a brain in their heads. Stop swinging at 1st pitches 10 times a game.WHY CANT THIS TEAM GET MORE THAN 1 RUN(OR ZERO LIKE TONIGHT) OR 4 HITS A GAME??????THIS IS REDICULOUS AND EMBARRASING! As long as I've been a Reds fan I dont ever remember a team being this consistently bad and showing no signs of ever coming out of it. I want to be positive but they simply show no reason to be. This team will lose 100 games the rate they are going.

mlbfan30
05-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Also, the hitting(or lack thereof). I know people say that it is because of poorly constructed lineups but these are supposed to be major league batters up there. They still have a bat in their hands and a brain in their heads. Stop swinging at 1st pitches 10 times a game.WHY CANT THIS TEAM GET MORE THAN 1 RUN(OR ZERO LIKE TONIGHT) OR 4 HITS A GAME??????THIS IS REDICULOUS AND EMBARRASING! As long as I've been a Reds fan I dont ever remember a team being this consistently bad and showing no signs of ever coming out of it. I want to be positive but they simply show no reason to be. This team will lose 100 games the rate they are going.

They are swinging so often and so early because of Baker. Baker has said so many times that he wants his hitters to be hitters and not walkers. In ST he was complaining about Dunn and Votto taking too many pitches. A week ago Hatty said that Baker wants him to swing at the 1st pitch when pinch hitting. Baker is creating his aggressive team, and that philosophy is not good.

Slyder
05-03-2008, 01:30 AM
Baker is a dumbass. Pure and simple. Maybe Baker's already lost the team (or is hated by everyone)?

It shouldnt take a month to show a manager that Corey Patterson is a black hole and shouldnt even be in the lineup let alone leading off. Freel has the hot bat (and better mindset for leading off).

When this team is patient you see runs scored. When they do like Dusty they suck.

He got it!
05-03-2008, 09:51 AM
Just becuase Dusty says he wants the team to be more aggressive early in the count doesn't mean the Reds are doing it. The only person who has taken Dusty's advice is Votto and it is paying rewards as he continues to rip get ahead pitches early in the count. Before you bash a guy for his philosophy you might want to see if his philosophy is actualy being practiced. Dunn has not changed a bit still looking for a walk and loving to go to a 2 strike count. If he would be more aggressive early in the count as Dusty is suggesting he might well have more hits this year. If/when the Reds start listening to Dusty and becoming more agressive early in the count and it doesn't work then you can bash Dusty. To do so before they even give his way a chance doesn't make sense to me.

Jack Burton
05-03-2008, 11:37 AM
Good post, made some really good points. I would add some complaints toward the defense. Edwind has had his fare share of mistakes but I would also throw Dunn and Griffey under the bus here. At this point these guys are DH's, way to slow to play OF on a winning ball club.

jmac
05-03-2008, 11:51 AM
They are swinging so often and so early because of Baker. Baker has said so many times that he wants his hitters to be hitters and not walkers. In ST he was complaining about Dunn and Votto taking too many pitches. A week ago Hatty said that Baker wants him to swing at the 1st pitch when pinch hitting. Baker is creating his aggressive team, and that philosophy is not good.

Last night Marty commented how they were taking far to many good pitches ( i didnt see only heard).
It seems that part changes from game to game. The only part that stays consistent= no runs to speak of.

redsfan1966
05-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Corey Patterson is definitely deserving of a big HUH?--Jay Bruce must be brought up immediately if not sooner--I know it was in jest; but could there be something to Corey being unpublicized Baker kin??;)

Newman4
05-03-2008, 12:22 PM
1. Bako-Decent enough to stay thru the year I guess.
2.Votto-Could be 1st baseman for years to come..Can't ever get any momentum going because Baker insists on rest or Hatteburg every 3rd day.
3.Phillips-Fantastic defensively but seems to be thinking about 30-30 too much at the plate and looks absolutlely lost.
4.Keppinger-No real complaints but just falling into the same offensive morass as everyone else.
5.Encarnacion-Outside of the throwing errors, one of the few candles in the offensive darkness
6. Dunn-I'm sorry people but my opinion is he only cares about getting his 40home runs a year--Where has his vaunted 40 homers a year gotten us?
5.Patterson at 3.5k a year--Baker's long lost son or has pictures of Dusty cheating on his wife?? 3.5 to be picked off once a game and 3 flyouts..Dont get this at all...Freel obviously in Dusty's doghouse and not sure why :(
6. Griffey--is at this rate going to take midway thru June to get 600..and by then no one left to care.
7. Starting pitching? For the most part, great. They should sue for non-support. Harang will end up 4-15 with a 2.50 ERA
8. Bullpen-Same as the starting pitching
9. Defense-outside of Edwin a few times no real complaints.
10. Baserunning-Little League variety and causes explosive flatuence
11. Coaching--Baker running the almost exact same lineup on a nightly basis and expecting different results? Insanity---Jacoby- what does he do exactly? Pole-another thread earlier today said it perfectly(about Cueto not throwing the same after the season started and only Soto can do something about it)..Constant mysteries why players do so well in Triple AAA then make it to here and fall apart? Bruce and Bailey languish in AAA but we can watch the senior citizens Griffey/Hatteburg/Merker/Weathers every night?
12. Front office-Multiple owners,GM's, etc...Castellini no patience whatsoever.

1. He's definitely servicable (sp.?) Better than Javy IMO. Nice LH complement to Ross.
2. 100% Agree. Hatteberg needs to be traded.
3. Phillips swings early, middle and late. I don't know who he's listening to. Maybe BP needs to leadoff to get his mindset out of the #4 hitter Hr mode. Lord knows he couldn't do worse that Patterson.
4. Keppinger would be better in my opinion if he ever hit with the leadoff man on base. Keppinger finds a lot of holes in the infield if someone is running or in DP position. I would hit-and-run with Kepp almost everytime there was a runner on 1st base.
5. Having a pretty good offensive year - only 25, should be mentioned with David Wright as one of the best 3B in the NL. Needs to hit #4 in the order.
6. See other threads - they're easy to find
5. Agree
6. Let him get his 600 then off to Seattle
7. Arroyo is a concern. More concern for next year with his 2yr. 25 million extension.
8-12. Just about right on target.

Good post, Butler.

Nasty_Boy
05-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Once again, I could not agree less with most of you guys. This aggressive approach and not wanting to get deep in counts is stupid. Your batting average and OBP go up the deep in the count you get. This swinging at the 1st pitch or early in the count is the reason the top of the line up (1-4) are not getting on base. Kepp is a great contact hitter but he needs to see more pitches and quit swinging at the 1st pitch. Guys need to get hits about 40% of the time to make swinging at the 1st pitch a positive. If the lineup was configured correctly, you would have the guys that get on base (Dunn, EE, and Kepp) hitting in front of the hackers (Phillips and Jr). The only time the Reds need to be MORE aggressive at the plate is with a runner at 3rd late in a game, otherwise they are keeping the pitch count lower and increasing their chance of making an out.

TheBigLebowski
05-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Lots of changes need to be made and, if the right changes are made, it's not too late to compete this year.
We've got to rid ourselves of either Dunn or Griffey. A batting order and a defense can sustain one of these types of guys but not two. I wouldn't mind getting rid of them both but we've got to lose at least one.

Hondo
05-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Lots of changes need to be made and, if the right changes are made, it's not too late to compete this year.
We've got to rid ourselves of either Dunn or Griffey. A batting order and a defense can sustain one of these types of guys but not two. I wouldn't mind getting rid of them both but we've got to lose at least one.

Man, it isn't hard to Beat the Reds when all you have to do is pitch around Dunn and Griffey or the other option... Don't give them anything to hit...

There is no Protection...

If the 3-4-5 Hitters were, lets say...

Griffey- Manny Ramirez- Dunn

There would be no problem with an anemic offense...

I am not saying Ramierez is the answer, in paticular, I am saying that all the other Bats in the Lineup are not Feared.

If anyone says Edwin is hitting Good, ok I get it... But he isn't the Right Handed threat I am talking about. Besides his past few years he is like a .280-15-75 guy, so hopefully this is his .300-30-100 year and can make that next step but right now... He isn't the Protection Griffey and Dunn need.