PDA

View Full Version : Who would you trade Dunn or Griffey for?

kfm
05-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I know not everyone thinks these two should be traded, but if the Reds decided to trade them who do you think wants them and what do you think we could get for them? Do we want Prospects or current big leaguers or a mixture of the two. It seems like there are a couple of teams who make sense for Dunn and Seattle seems to make the most sense for Griffey. I'm sure Seattle would love to get Griffey back and if you traded him before he hit 600 would that add to his value. They missed 400 and 500 in Seattle. Maybe you could get Jojhima and prospects for Ross and Griffey.

mlbfan30
05-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Johjima was just signed to a 3/24M deal that would be the 09-11 seasons. Do you want to pay 8M for a 35 y/o catcher who's already in decline? Ross is better than that

05-04-2008, 06:28 PM
The way these guys are playing, I'd say the Red would be lucky to get a top 20 organization prospect for each of them, assuming the Reds don't eat any salary. Most likely, each will get two or three 20-40 organization prospects, guys in A or AA at best.

I agree that trading Jr before he hits 600 adds to his value. He already hit 500, the big one, in a Reds uniform, 600 is not that big of a deal after that.

ChatterRed
05-04-2008, 06:28 PM
I trade them both for Homer Simpson.

redsfanmia
05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Salary relief.

GoReds33
05-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Salary relief.That's a good point, but if we keep Dunn and Griffey until the end of the year we get salary relief and draft picks.

DannyB
05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Salary relief.

Are you paying them?

INRedsFan
05-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Josh Hamilton

Slyder
05-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Salary relief.

Dunns off the books after this year anyways and projects to be one fo the FAs that would bring back picks for next year. IMO either teams looking at least match that or you keep Dunn.

Griff I'm not so sure about that. If Griff gets the bat going and were out of it I'd like to see him go somewhere that he has a shot at post season.

Nasty_Boy
05-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Utley and ARod :D:beerme::beerme::beerme:

BluegrassRedleg
05-04-2008, 11:48 PM
I'd trade them for the mere opportunity to be rid of them. A bucket of balls and a fungo bat? A bag of sunflower seeds?

In all seriousness, just take whatever you can get. I've liked both of these guys in the past -- and I won't rip them or trash them -- but it's time to move on.

CRedsLarkin11
05-05-2008, 02:36 AM
I'd trade them for the mere opportunity to be rid of them. A bucket of balls and a fungo bat? A bag of sunflower seeds?

In all seriousness, just take whatever you can get. I've liked both of these guys in the past -- and I won't rip them or trash them -- but it's time to move on.

I'm in this same boat. It's time to commit to rebuilding

44Magnum
05-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I would take anything or nothing for them. They simply need to be moved.
Their laid back, some would say "lazy" attitude is killing the Reds. When two guys that make one third of your payroll is sitting back and taking it easy...what do you think young guys will do? It's time for the Reds to cut their losses now!

Kingspoint
05-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Both Dunn and Junior are batting identical with Runner is Scoring Position....

Both are 5 for 25 for a .200 average.

maniem
05-06-2008, 04:28 PM
At this point, I'm not sure either will be worth much on the market because of their price tag, no-trade clauses, etc. If it were me, I'd hold on to one of them (preferably Dunn) and either deal Junior at the deadline if we get a decent offer, or buy out his option at the end of the year. As much as it would hurt to see him leave the Reds, we just can't afford to have two defensive liabilities in the outfield. Dunn, like it or not, is our best offensive weapon. Sure he has weaknesses, but if we can sign him to a 3 yr - 35 - 40 million extension, he should stay. Given this team's lack of right handed hitters, I'd be pursuing a right handed defensive oriented outfielder that can play either center or right field. There aren't many of those around, but one that comes to mind is Milton Bradley. He'll be a free agent at the end of the year, is relatively young at 30, plays good defense, has a career .360 OBP and seems like the type of hitter who could flourish in GABP. Granted, he's a head case, but is it possible that he's matured? He's off to a great start this year in Texas and I think I could overlook his personality if he produced. Given his track record, he's produced everywhere he's gone. An outfield of Dunn, Bruce, and Bradley would work for me and a lineup that would look like this:

Keppinger
Bradley
Dunn
Encarnacion
Votto
Phillips
Bruce
Ross

Just my thoughts...

Orodle
05-07-2008, 07:19 PM
At this point, I'm not sure either will be worth much on the market because of their price tag, no-trade clauses, etc. If it were me, I'd hold on to one of them (preferably Dunn) and either deal Junior at the deadline if we get a decent offer, or buy out his option at the end of the year. As much as it would hurt to see him leave the Reds, we just can't afford to have two defensive liabilities in the outfield. Dunn, like it or not, is our best offensive weapon. Sure he has weaknesses, but if we can sign him to a 3 yr - 35 - 40 million extension, he should stay. Given this team's lack of right handed hitters, I'd be pursuing a right handed defensive oriented outfielder that can play either center or right field. There aren't many of those around, but one that comes to mind is Milton Bradley. He'll be a free agent at the end of the year, is relatively young at 30, plays good defense, has a career .360 OBP and seems like the type of hitter who could flourish in GABP. Granted, he's a head case, but is it possible that he's matured? He's off to a great start this year in Texas and I think I could overlook his personality if he produced. Given his track record, he's produced everywhere he's gone. An outfield of Dunn, Bruce, and Bradley would work for me and a lineup that would look like this:

Keppinger
Bradley
Dunn
Encarnacion
Votto
Phillips
Bruce
Ross

Just my thoughts...

finally a realistic transaction idea, props to you :thumbup:

I like the idea of Bradley. Hes not great in any one area but above average in many categories with a great nack to get on base.

piecrust
05-07-2008, 07:46 PM
finally a realistic transaction idea, props to you :thumbup:

I like the idea of Bradley. Hes not great in any one area but above average in many categories with a great nack to get on base.

Thats a very good proposal.
We desperately need some right hand hitting pop, but don't we have enough outfielders? Once Bruce comes up we could hopefully take care of both problems. That then leaves the problem of our pitching staff, ainly in our starters. Herang is strong, Volquez is clearly a gem, and Cueto is young but proving he is a big league player. But that leaves Arroyo and who ever the heck we have as our fifth starter that week.

What I'd like to see us get for Dunn or Griffey is another Starter. Arroyo is still doing poorly and has since the all-star break of his first reds season. Once Homer proves he has what it takes to come back to the reds and stay, Arroyo would be our only starter problem. I'd be happy with another Hamilton/Volquez type trade. Lose some power in your lineup but gain a solid pitcher.

I'd prefer to keep Griffey for the time being (preferably to the trade deadline) mainly so we can keep a strong vet in the clubhouse. If we're going to work on rebuilding and rebuilding from the farm system, we'll need a guy who can work well with the younsters and I think Griff can do that.
I don't think Dunn can.

gedred69
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
There won't be much return for either at this point, but Griffey deserves a shot at a ring which isn't looking likely here this season. Either/or is holding back Bruce, who is being denied the "experience and seasoning" that will help propel this team to future success. This isn't un-like what happened with Votto last year, when the Reds signed Hatteberg and Conine, only to see in ST that Votto was more ready than they thought, so they spun the crap that Votto needed to "work on his defense" so fans wouldn't be saying, Huh? At this point I say trade one or both for whatever.