PDA

View Full Version : Radical Trade Idea

05-05-2008, 02:26 AM
As I have made perfectly clear, I am all for trading both Dunn and Griffey as soon as possible. But I also realize that they won't get much in return by thenselves, and definitely nothing that will help the big league club this year. I think it is way too early to give up, and that the Reds could easily come back into contention if they make smart moves with their roster.

Just last year, the Reds were 18-33 on May 27 and then 30-50 on June 29th, and still came back to be in contention for the wild card in the last month. The season is long, it just takes one good winning streak to get back into it.
Whatever horrible things are being said about this team right now, were being said last year up until the Mac took over, and they ended you being in contention.

The Reds need a big hitter in the middle of the lineup, preferably a RH. They don't have that right now. Votto and Bruce may develop into that, but probably not this year. The only way I see the Reds getting back into it is if they get a big veteran bat in the middle of the lineup.

They are not going to get one for Dunn, Griffey, or Arroyo, or even all three. They need to trade quality if they are to get it in return.

Here is what I propose.

Phillips and Dunn to the Dodgers for

Kent and Kemp.

The Reds get Kent, who can at cleanup this year, and maybe next year, and Kemp, who should be able to bat cleanup for years after that.

The Dodgers get a great young 2B who is under contract cheap for years, and a big lefthanded home run threat that they so desperately need. They get a chance to sign Dunn long term if they like him, or get two draft picks if they don't. Basically the get Dunn for Kent, so if they loose him after this year, no big deal. And they get Phillips for Kemp, which I think is a fair deal for both sides. Two young studs for each other, one more established, one with more potential.

After Kent leaves, the Reds could put Kepp at 2B, where I think he would be perfect. With a lineup that has Bruce, Kemp, Votto, EE, I don't think the Reds would need a big bat at SS.

Anyway, just an idea, but I think the Reds have to completely restructure their offense in a way similar to this to compete, either this year or especially next year.

CRedsLarkin11
05-05-2008, 02:33 AM
I'm just a believer that outfielders come along more frequently than a 2B with the bat of Phillips. He's perfect for the Reds, he's fairly cheap and signed.

mlbfan30
05-05-2008, 02:52 AM
I highly doubt the Dodgers would do that. They would view BP/Kent as almost a lateral move, and Dunn is worse than Kemp.

Also both Kent/Dunn are gone after the year so it comes down to Kemp for 5-6 years for cheap or BP with his new deal. Kemp is obviously the better pick.

There is no way the Dodgers do this.

goreds2
05-05-2008, 06:23 AM
I'm just a believer that outfielders come along more frequently than a 2B with the bat of Phillips. He's perfect for the Reds, he's fairly cheap and signed.

AGREED

smoke6
05-05-2008, 08:14 AM
I stopped reading after you included BP in a trade. Won't happen.

durl
05-05-2008, 09:02 AM
And I'm 99.9999999% postive that Griffey will never accept a trade to the Dodgers.

A lot of people want to unload Griffey but it's a LOT easier said than done. Plus it strikes me as odd that we expect teams to give up good players for those that Reds fans want thrown out on the trash heap. "Here, take 2 players batting .220 with no power and give me 2 of your better hitters."

REDblooded
05-05-2008, 09:09 AM
not a bad idea.....

I'm a big fan of Phillips, but Keppi is a solid play there, and our system is loaded with SS's who's gloves will play better at second.

bubbachunk
05-05-2008, 10:44 AM
No you can find outfielders that can hit far easier then a 2nd basemen. especially one with such good range as phillips

Newman4
05-05-2008, 11:11 AM
I think the Dodgers think more of Kemp than Dunn, especially long-term. Kent is more than likely just as productive as BP this season, after which he's a FA. I would imagine LA would ask for Edwin since Nomar is out in any deal.

Nasty_Boy
05-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I would trade BP for Kemp in a heart beat. The Reds have tons of young infield talent in the minors and I tend to think Phillips is overrated.

OesterPoster
05-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't think anyone on this team should be untouchable in a trade....IF we get the proper return.

ChatterRed
05-05-2008, 12:55 PM
If they trade Phillips, I may attack the Reds front office!!!!

05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I highly doubt the Dodgers would do that. They would view BP/Kent as almost a lateral move, and Dunn is worse than Kemp.

Also both Kent/Dunn are gone after the year so it comes down to Kemp for 5-6 years for cheap or BP with his new deal. Kemp is obviously the better pick.

There is no way the Dodgers do this.

I agree with your assessment, but you are acting like the Dodgers care about salary. They don't. They are spending $32M this year and next on Schmidt, who might not even pitch for them, and shrug it off. They signed Juan Pierre to a 5 year $45M deal! No one who cares about money does that.
Even if they do, their payroll is $119M this year. and they lose about $65M of it in two years, when Phillips big paydays click in. Trust me they can afford him.

They have no good infielder prospects coming up, and plenty of OF/1B prospects. With Kent 40, they need to trade for his replacement.
They also have soured on Kemp, for some unknown reason, and had been playing Pierre in his spot, although Kemp has been playing more lately. I could be wrong, but I think they would be willing to trade Kemp, who is a luxury for them, for Phillips, who is a need for their future.

Funny, you are about the only one here who understands the true value of Phillips. He's a great player, but not one you build your team around.

Also, remember they really like Dunn, and might be willing to trade for him so they can have an edge in signing him in the off season.

05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
If they trade Phillips, I may attack the Reds front office!!!!

Now I want him traded just to see that, or read about in Hal's blog. :)

bubbachunk
05-05-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree with your assessment, but you are acting like the Dodgers care about salary. They don't. They are spending $32M this year and next on Schmidt, who might not even pitch for them, and shrug it off. They signed Juan Pierre to a 5 year $45M deal! No one who cares about money does that.
Even if they do, their payroll is $119M this year. and they lose about $65M of it in two years, when Phillips big paydays click in. Trust me they can afford him.

They have no good infielder prospects coming up, and plenty of OF/1B prospects. With Kent 40, they need to trade for his replacement.
They also have soured on Kemp, for some unknown reason, and had been playing Pierre in his spot, although Kemp has been playing more lately. I could be wrong, but I think they would be willing to trade Kemp, who is a luxury for them, for Phillips, who is a need for their future.

Funny, you are about the only one here who understands the true value of Phillips. He's a great player, but not one you build your team around.

Also, remember they really like Dunn, and might be willing to trade for him so they can have an edge in signing him in the off season.

How bad do you want our defense to be? Kent+Kepp up the middle leaves giant holes due to their range.

05-05-2008, 03:14 PM
How bad do you want our defense to be? Kent+Kepp up the middle leaves giant holes due to their range.

Completely agree. That is a down side, but temporary. Hopefully Agon will be back soon and Kepp can go back to being a solid RH bat off the bench. If not, Janish is doing pretty well in AAA. WIth Kent and Kemp in the lineup, don't think the Reds need a big bat at SS.