PDA

View Full Version : Bray sent down...Weathers up...

_Sir_Charles_
05-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Is it just me or are the Reds simply clueless. Are they expecting Weathers to turn this around? He's been horrible all year. It's pretty clear he's on the downward spiral towards the end of his carreer. Bray however...young and talented. I just don't get it. *sigh*

Anyway...here's the link to Fay. http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2008/05/sad-note-lineup-bray-optioned.asp

Degenerate39
05-05-2008, 05:09 PM
Stupid move. Keep Bray and send Fogg or Mercker down if you can.

_Sir_Charles_
05-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Stupid move...yes. Predictable...even more so.

Instead of Fogg or Merker down...how about we just leave WEATHERS down there. He's been attrocious all year. Heck, how about we bring Majewski back up?!? <---sarcasm

TheBigLebowski
05-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Idiotic. Completely idiotic. I am now angry.

AccordinglyReds
05-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Bray's been used lately, so he wouldn't be too available for the Cubs series. He hasn't been lights-out, so as long as he is brought back up within relative time, I'm fine with it.

thorn
05-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Maybe their trying to find someone to take Fogg, Mercker and Wathers for that bag of peanuts. Seriously, not every move is designed to rescue the team.

05-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Talk about arguing about the arrangement of deck chairs on the Titanic.

Bray has options and is easy to move up and down, and the Reds need Weathers on the 25 man roster in order to trade him.

This team will be blown up around June 1st, all moves until then are just for decoration.

Rounding Third
05-05-2008, 06:53 PM

Bray has options and is easy to move up and down, and the Reds need Weathers on the 25 man roster in order to trade him.

This team will be blown up around June 1st, all moves until then are just for decoration.

Hopefully its that early. Moves need to be made.

mlbfan30
05-05-2008, 07:09 PM

So you want to become the Marlins for 1/2 a season?

Get rid of any valuable asset or any bad player that has no part of the future such as..

Bako
Hatty
Agon
Griffey
Dunn
Freel
Patterson
(Yes - the ENTIRE OF except Hopper since he's cheap)
Merker
Weathers
Fogg
Arroyo
etc

Call up a bunch of AAA scrubs and minor leaguers from AA and let this team play. Maybe a few are good enough to stick around next year, the rest holes can be filled by FA. Get a #1 ML ready pick next year.

When you think about the team, the only real holes are LF/CF/C in terms of rebuilding. The rotation should be solid enough. And spare bullpen parts are easy to find.

But the owner would never allow it. He'd rather have the Reds go 81-81 and act like contenders over actually helping them become real contenders in 09

Rounding Third
05-05-2008, 07:18 PM

Get rid of any valuable asset or any bad player that has no part of the future such as..

Bako
Hatty
Agon
Griffey
Dunn
Freel
Patterson
Merker
Weathers
Fogg
Arroyo
etc

Call up a bunch of AAA scrubs and minor leaguers from AA and let this team play. Maybe a few are good enough to stick around next year, the rest holes can be filled by FA. Get a #1 ML ready pick next year.

When you think about the team, the only real holes are LF/CF/C in terms of rebuilding. The rotation should be solid enough. And spare bullpen parts are easy to find.

But the owner would never allow it. He'd rather have the Reds go 81-81 and act like contenders over actually helping them become real contenders in 09

Dumping our entire team sounds exactly like the Marlins.

Those are a lot of unvaluable players with little/no trade value that cost a lot of money. People like:

Weathers
Freel
Patterson
Fogg
Arroyo
AGon
etc

Pretty much everybody you mentioned. In order to get rid of all those people you would probably have to eat most of those contracts.

And I don't think he was saying he wants the roster to be like that, he is just saying what it probably will be.

Kingspoint
05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Bray has been the best reliever on the team and he gets sent down?

Must be nice that Jockety has friends in high places.

GoReds33
05-05-2008, 08:45 PM
Fogg shouldn't be on this team, and Bray should. To me, this is just a stupid move.

Kingspoint
05-05-2008, 08:53 PM
So much for Jockety's comment about "We must win now".

gedred69
05-05-2008, 09:00 PM
Just another example of stifling young talent in favor of nearly worn-out Veterans (I'm being nice). Votto should have been here starting last year, Bruce this year, and Homer and Bray as well. Team has no heart, no leader. No Casey-like to tell guys when they're not performing. No, I'm not advocating Casey's return, just miss his willingness to take that lead. Nobody will either until Griffey and Dunn are gone, because they wouldn't listen to ANYBODY, and their big pockets are intimidating to younger guys.

05-05-2008, 10:10 PM

Bako
Hatty
Agon
Griffey
Dunn
Freel
Patterson
Merker
Weathers
Fogg
Arroyo
etc

My bad, I didn't mean blown up Marlins style, just get rid of core players that fans don't want traded. I think this team can still contend, but not with this roster. It needs a serious overhaul at it's core. It doesn't mean many moved, just a few big names.

You are right, the main hole is the outfield, and usually those are easy holes to fill.

Mutaman
05-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Is it just me or are the Reds simply clueless. Are they expecting Weathers to turn this around? He's been horrible all year. It's pretty clear he's on the downward spiral towards the end of his carreer. Bray however...young and talented. I just don't get it. *sigh*

Anyway...here's the link to Fay. http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/2008/05/sad-note-lineup-bray-optioned.asp

If tonight is any example, I hope Weather's "downward spiral" continues.

HeatherC1212
05-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Stormy did a great job tonight and I'm really happy for him. :)

NDReds9
05-06-2008, 12:28 AM
You can tell these guys care by watching them on the field and listening to them talk to reporters:
Belisle
Freel
Votto
Edwin
Keppinger
Phillips
Harang
Arroyo
Bako
Cueto
Volquez
Weathers
Burton

NDReds9
05-06-2008, 12:28 AM
This team is in dire need of Sean Casey

Orodle
05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
the team is in dire need of Greg Vaughn, who whipped the '99 team into shape after a horrible start. After Vaughn left the Reds turned back into losers.

05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
the team is in dire need of Greg Vaughn, who whipped the '99 team into shape after a horrible start. After Vaughn left the Reds turned back into losers.

Excellent point.

From the mid 80's to 1999, the Reds almost always had a big bat in the middle of the lineup, from Dave Parker, to Eric Davis, to Kevin Mitchell, to Ron Gant, to Greg Vaughn. These guys lead the team on and off the field.

Griffey and Dunn have filled that role for the last 8 years, and while you can argue whether or not they had done a good job in that role, it is clear that this year, they are not. A big bat in the middle of the lineup that can get a hit at any time, even when the other team is trying to pitch around him, is what this team needs more than anything.

Kingspoint
05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
Joey Votto and Jay Bruce

Dunn or Junior have to go.

Hopefully both.

HeatherC1212
05-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Stormy had another good outing today. Just thought I'd throw that out there. ;)

TN Red Fan
05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
If Weathers can turn things around he might have trade value going to a contender.

Degenerate39
05-07-2008, 05:36 PM
Maybe all Stormy needed was a little time off from the Majors. He's done pretty good his last few outings but I still wish Bray was in Cincinnati instead of Louisville.