PDA

View Full Version : New broadcaster added to radio

DTCromer
05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
Just found this on Lance's blog.

Kelch added to Reds broadcast team
Class AAA Louisville Bats veteran announcer Jim Kelch will join Hall of Famer Marty Brennaman or Jeff Brantley on 14 Reds on Radio broadcasts this season...Kelch is in his 20th season as the play-by-play voice of the Louisville club...he previously worked Major League games as a fill-in for the Reds and St. Louis Cardinals broadcast teams...the Peoria, Illinois native began his broadcast career with the Class A Peoria Chiefs in 1984...he joined the Bats in 1989 after a 2-year stint as broadcaster for the Class AA Chattanooga Lookouts...Kelch also is the radio voice of the University of Louisville's women's basketball team...for the Reds, he is scheduled to work 5/12-5/15, 5/30, 6/1, 7/18-7/19, 9/2-9/4 and 9/18-9/20.

goreds2
05-07-2008, 03:05 PM
You always like to see a person like this get a chance. Best of luck to him and I can't wait to hear him.

BUTLER REDSFAN
05-07-2008, 03:34 PM
Something wierd about this to me...We had Marty and Joe for decades but now it's Marty,Thom,Jeff and now this guy? I'm sure he's just a vacation fill in for someone but I wonder if something is going on?

jmac
05-07-2008, 06:48 PM
Wow.This is sorta strange.
Good to see a guy get a chance but I listen to quite a few bats games on the louisville station and I am not a big fan of his style.
He's got a blah(imo) broadcasting style. Nothing really that stands out.
I cant remember the guy's name who now does STL broadcast with Shannon but they are similar.
Seems like the guy's name is Rooney and I dont care much for his style either.

redsfanmia
05-07-2008, 07:00 PM
Anything to hear less of Franchester spewing his negativity.

redsfan1966
05-07-2008, 08:30 PM
This is odd....it seemed to me that Chris Welsh was becoming the radio fill-in guy and did a good job the few times I heard him this year....the booth is becoming somewhat of a revolving door all of a sudden...

Rounding Third
05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Just get rid of Brantley. I would rather my grandma announce than Jeff Brantley.

mroby85
05-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Anything to hear less of Franchester spewing his negativity.

Franchester is the best announcer this team has, enjoy him now before he's gone some day and you realize how good he was.

Stephenk29
05-08-2008, 01:30 AM
Wow.This is sorta strange.
Good to see a guy get a chance but I listen to quite a few bats games on the louisville station and I am not a big fan of his style.
He's got a blah(imo) broadcasting style. Nothing really that stands out.
I cant remember the guy's name who now does STL broadcast with Shannon but they are similar.
Seems like the guy's name is Rooney and I dont care much for his style either.

If he reminds you of STL announcers.....ouch. Not a fan at all. It's painful to listen to them constantly out here.

jhiller21
05-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Just get rid of Brantley. I would rather my grandma announce than Jeff Brantley.

I don't mind Brantley's color analysis but the play-by-play is brutal.

Welsch did a decent job filling in on the radio though, not bad at all.

Carin4Narron
05-08-2008, 09:18 AM

So, you CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH?

Rounding Third
05-08-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't mind Brantley's color analysis but the play-by-play is brutal.

Welsch did a decent job filling in on the radio though, not bad at all.

Jeff Brantley just screams "ESPN Personality" when he announces. He is clueless, acts cocky and just spits out false information all the time.

BuckU
05-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Jeff Brantley just screams "ESPN Personality" when he announces. He is clueless, acts cocky and just spits out false information all the time.

Ahhhhh muuuh goodness huh huh huh

Seiously, listening to Brantley makes me want to punch myself.

Carin4Narron
05-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Guys,keep on thinking this team is in the year's of '75 and '76 when nobody got on their case nor needed to! Wake up, this Reds team needs to be b@tched about!

Rounding Third
05-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Guys,keep on thinking this team is in the year's of '75 and '76 when nobody got on their case nor needed to! Wake up, this Reds team needs to be b@tched about!

I'm not sure what your talking about. I don't care if an announcer complains about the team, ala Marty, but Jeff cannot do play by play and provides incorrect information doing color and is just overall an idiot.

Moosie52
05-09-2008, 07:36 AM
He's a funny idiot. I like listening to him.

goreds2
05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I like Jim Kelch thus far. Nice comment on Dunn not running down the line.

bleacherbum
05-12-2008, 09:11 PM
I like Kelch a lot better than Brantley

jmac
05-12-2008, 09:54 PM
I have listened to him alot broadcast bats games and he actually sounded alot more entertaining tonight.
Probably the reason, is alot of times I listen to bats games for a particular player. So there isnt as much interest like when I listen to reds.
Way to go Jim.
You are 1-0 !! :beerme:

Donder
05-12-2008, 10:15 PM
I really enjoyed Jim from what I heard tonight (the seventh inning on). He's really easy to listen to. He sounds like a baseball announcer should sound to me (is that vague or what?). I was impressed by how much he seemed to know about the Reds, he clearly follows them and the major leagues pretty closely. All that said, I must be way too easy to please because I don't have a problem with Marty, Thom, or Jeff either.

kfm
05-12-2008, 10:21 PM
I thought he was outstanding. I enjoy listening to Bats games and it is nice to not have two guys in the booth bashing the reds the entire game. Also, it was nice to hear a homerun call that had some actual emotion in it. I can't take Brantley's monotone on homeruns, this is one thing about Marty that I wish would rub off on Brantley. Marty makes the best homerun calls. This guy was good, I hope they use him more and yes he does sound a little like the cardinals announcer who I also enjoy.

redsfan1966
05-13-2008, 07:41 AM
Mr. Kelch did a fine job on Monday's broadcast....the only drawback I hear is that he seems to fall into the sound of a stereotypical minor league announcer at times...a little too "sing-songy" on some of his calls...I still wonder why Chris Welsh wasnt tapped to do the radio fill-in...

New York Redfan
05-13-2008, 08:25 AM
I really liked Kelch. I got to listen to him in the 7th and his two home run calls were great. Imo, He's much better than Brantley. I can actually understand whats going on. I've also never understood the importance that they placed on having a guy in the booth that had playing experience. I would much rather have someone who can describe the action.

I also liked how the game seemed to breath. Brantley seems to be giving analysis all the time. Sometimes I just want to hear what's going on and then contemplate it.

BTW, I love the site!

bleacherbum
05-13-2008, 08:39 PM
The way I understand it Chris Welch was attending his mother's funeral.

redsfan1966
05-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Yeah, Chris is attending his mother's funeral for this set (condolonces to him)...but that still doesnt explain the remaining games Kelch is doing...unless Kelch is filling in for Marty on those occasions and Thom is doing Fox national...

ChatterRed
05-14-2008, 08:52 AM
I simply thought he was refreshing to hear. I liked him.