PDA

View Full Version : Why not Jay Bruce in centerfield?

_Sir_Charles_
05-11-2008, 05:19 PM
Why is it that everyone assumes that Bruce is destined to be Griff's replacement in rightfield? If it's so written in stone that he's a corner outfielder, then why are the Reds brass letting Rick Sweet plop him out in centerfield for the Bats game in and game out? He seems to be doing very well in center. If at some point in his career he gets moved to right, fine. But with our current gaping hole in center, what's holding up his promotion? His lack of walks? His abundance of k's? Look, I'd like it to be a perfect world too, but regardless of his 34 to 9 k-bb ratio, he's still hitting .328 with considerable pop in over 130 ab's. Votto's at a 20 to 10 ratio, Phillips is at a 27 to 10 ratio. Get over it and bring him up.

Orodle
05-11-2008, 05:47 PM
I've heard scouts comment that hes not really that good of an outfielder to be depended on to cover a lot of ground in center on an every day basis.

jmac
05-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I would like him in CF now then move him next season over to a corner.
Not playing him in CF here but in Louisville sorta shows the clock(moneywise) is the more apparent reason he isnt here right now.

smoke6
05-11-2008, 06:23 PM
I've heard scouts comment that hes not really that good of an outfielder to be depended on to cover a lot of ground in center on an every day basis.

Yeah compared to Gold Glovers like Freel, Hopper, and offensive mammoths like Patterson, Bruce has no chance.:rolleyes: I have never heard Bruce "isn't that good of an OF'r".

goreds2
05-11-2008, 06:37 PM
I have heard that Bruce is playing all three outfield positons this year in preparing what may happen in the Reds front.

GoReds33
05-11-2008, 06:43 PM
I really wish he could catch.:D

Seriously, I think he'll end up being Griffey's replacment. Griffey will be gone by the beginning of July.

Jack Burton
05-11-2008, 07:18 PM
I heard a scout say his outfield skill is a cross between Chris Duncan and Adam Dunn. jk:bash:
Call him up.

Krawhitham
05-11-2008, 07:34 PM
I really wish he could catch.:D

Seriously, I think he'll end up being Griffey's replacment. Griffey will be gone by the beginning of July.

It has to be a team in the playoff hunt for him to accept
Seattle happens to be more games back than the Reds

what playoff team has an open RF slot?

05-11-2008, 08:15 PM
Bruce will be up, but not until June. Keeps him away from being a "super two". It's just a few more weeks, the Reds waited this long, might as well wait a few more weeks.

_Sir_Charles_
05-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Okay, fair enough. But then someone explain to me why he's playing centerfield nearly exclusively at Louisville? That's what keeps bugging me about this. If they're so certain he's going to be a right fielder...then get him some actual playing time there.

But constantly playing him in center tells me that their either grooming him for the CF position...OR...there's simply no communication going on in the F.O.

_Sir_Charles_
05-11-2008, 08:44 PM
I have heard that Bruce is playing all three outfield positons this year in preparing what may happen in the Reds front.

He is playing all three positions. But it's like 9 games in center, 1 in left, 9 games in center, 1 in right, 9 games in center. That's not preparing for all 3 positions. That's giving another player a look at center and not wanting Jay out of the line up.

Ghosts of 1990
05-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Just another decision in a long line of them that has had this team as a laughingstock of this league for the better part of a decade now.

The signing of patterson, the fumbling of Bruce, etc. etc. It goes on and on. Arbitration time should have NOTHING to do with this decision. You wanna win ballgames, you play the kid right now, knowing if he's what he's advertised as you're going to sign him long term anyway, so it doesn't matter 'when' he can become a free agent. and you sign him down the road.

Ghosts of 1990
05-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Gotta love the excuse 'he's not up because he isn't a center fielder'.

Two things. Why's he playing every night in center in AAA?

Also, that argument doesn't hold water. Play Griffey in center again and put Bruce in right. Why not? What are we saving griffey's legs for? Griffey should be rode hard because he's not going to be a red after this year anyway. Who cares about his long term health.

_Sir_Charles_
05-11-2008, 09:22 PM
Play Griffey in center again and put Bruce in right. Why not? What are we saving griffey's legs for? Griffey should be rode hard because he's not going to be a red after this year anyway. Who cares about his long term health.

Okay, that's steping over the line don't you think? Hopefully that was sarcastic, because Junior deserves respect from Cincy fans. Injuries aside, Junior is a class act through and through. Baseball in general needs more players like him. Getting down on Junior because of injuries or advancing age is failing to see the bigger picture IMO.

Yes, he should be traded for the betterment of the team, but he should be treated with the utmost respect from the F.O. and the fans IMO.

Ghosts of 1990
05-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Okay, that's steping over the line don't you think? Hopefully that was sarcastic, because Junior deserves respect from Cincy fans. Injuries aside, Junior is a class act through and through. Baseball in general needs more players like him. Getting down on Junior because of injuries or advancing age is failing to see the bigger picture IMO.

Yes, he should be traded for the betterment of the team, but he should be treated with the utmost respect from the F.O. and the fans IMO.

If anything it was a compliment from me to Griffey.

I don't think there should be a rule that Bruce must play center and Griffey must play right. I think Griffey would be fine sliding back to center field (If the concern is bruce in center). That seems to be everyone's thing "Bruce isn't a CF!!!" Ok, well put Griffey in Center. "But Griffey would get too beat up playing center" would be many's argument. That's not a good argument because it shouldn't matter... if Griffey is going to get hurt he's about as likely in right field. Why hold back any part of the future for a guy who doesn't figure into anything down the road is all I'm saying.

_Sir_Charles_
05-11-2008, 10:55 PM
I guess it was the "who cares about his long term health" comment that irked me. My appologies. We're apparently on the same page concerning Jay.

Slyder
05-11-2008, 11:10 PM
It has to be a team in the playoff hunt for him to accept
Seattle happens to be more games back than the Reds

what playoff team has an open RF slot?

Just find a team that needs a Left handed DH. Griffey's legs are shot at this point in his career making his range non existant and I figure most teams realize this. Griff might be able to make a start a week but he needs to eitehr take a crash course at 1b or go somewhere that could use a DH (Edgar Martinez anyone).

05-11-2008, 11:39 PM
By the way, Chris Dickerson is playing really well in Louisville. He's hitting .325 over his last twenty games, and has his OBP up to .349. We know he is a true centerfielder, so if they aren't going to bring up Bruce, then why not him?

I also wonder if Patterson's contract is guaranteed. Most split contracts, which his was, are not. If it is not, then I say bite the bullet, release him and sign Kenny Lofton. He will agree to join the team for $2.5M more than Patterson is making. I'd say that would be worth it.

goreds2
05-11-2008, 11:56 PM
I also wonder if Patterson's contract is guaranteed. Most split contracts, which his was, are not. If it is not, then I say bite the bullet, release him and sign Kenny Lofton. He will agree to join the team for $2.5M more than Patterson is making. I'd say that would be worth it.

I think Patterson's contract is guaranteed. :thumbdown

ChatterRed
05-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Yeah compared to Gold Glovers like Freel, Hopper, and offensive mammoths like Patterson, Bruce has no chance.:rolleyes: I have never heard Bruce "isn't that good of an OF'r".

:D:beerme:

Ghosts of 1990
05-12-2008, 10:40 AM
By the way, Chris Dickerson is playing really well in Louisville. He's hitting .325 over his last twenty games, and has his OBP up to .349. We know he is a true centerfielder, so if they aren't going to bring up Bruce, then why not him?

How does signing lofton help the long term health of the franchise? Some of you are just not getting it. There's some deep routed reasons that this team has one of the longest droughts of winning in all of sports. Signing Kenny Lofton would be another one of these type of moves.

The Boss 23
05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I would have to agree. Lofton is far from any kind of serious fix for the Reds and I think an earlier comment about working our way through the farm system is our best chance at rebuilding what was the best team in baseball.

Ghosts of 1990
05-12-2008, 01:21 PM
I have to admit I don't get excited easily but I thought today would be the day the Reds would bring up Jay Bruce from AAA Louisville.

Starting a long homestand, the team looks very dead and uninspired, I thought there was a move of some type coming. The Patterson experiement hasn't worked and there's not much that Patterson could do to really fix this situation himself. He's just not a good ballplayer at this point.

I guess the reds really are waiting until June to bring up bruce and start the arbitration clock a year later. I figured they'd have a different attitude about it; like; the best guy plays. Thought they'd forget about the arbitration clock because arbitration shouldn't matter with Bruce. If he's that good the front office should lock him up long term before it ever gets to that point. Maybe I"m sadly mistaken again.

OesterPoster
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Bruce was 4 for 4 in the DH opener for Louisville today. It's the 3rd time this year he was 1 hit away from the cycle.

It's pretty sad that I enjoy following the minor league games online more than I enjoy watching the Reds on TV this year.

dsmith421
05-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Also, that argument doesn't hold water. Play Griffey in center again and put Bruce in right. Why not?

Because it would instantly raise the pitching staff's ERA by a run and a half?

tommycash
05-12-2008, 02:40 PM
I still have not heard a good explanation as to why Bruce is not starting for the Reds in CF. If he is not a future CF, then why is he playing CF for Louisville.

smoke6
05-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I still have not heard a good explanation as to why Bruce is not starting for the Reds in CF. If he is not a future CF, then why is he playing CF for Louisville.

Is it an arbitration thing? If not, then there is ZERO reason he's not up now. The excuse of moving along too fast is crap, IMO. Bring him up and tell him that he is going to be the everyday (fill in the blank)fielder, don't worry about stats, just play and get MLB exp.

05-12-2008, 03:06 PM
How does signing lofton help the long term health of the franchise? Some of you are just not getting it. There's some deep routed reasons that this team has one of the longest droughts of winning in all of sports. Signing Kenny Lofton would be another one of these type of moves.

It will help this year. This year is far from over. Last year the Rockies and Cubs got off to horrible starts, and both made moves that improved the team and got them into the playoffs.

Just look at the Pirates right now. last weeks, they were tied with the Reds for last place, then won 6 in a row, and are one game below .500.

One hot streak of a week or two, and the Reds are right back in it.

Ghosts of 1990
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Is it an arbitration thing? If not, then there is ZERO reason he's not up now. The excuse of moving along too fast is crap, IMO. Bring him up and tell him that he is going to be the everyday (fill in the blank)fielder, don't worry about stats, just play and get MLB exp.

bingo. excellent post.

Hondo
05-24-2008, 05:05 PM
The Dodgers just recalled Clayton Kershaw, so it is making the Jay Bruce Call up all the more linkely now... How can the Reds justify letting him stay down there with Patterson hitting .213 and CF waiting for him right there....

redsfanmia
05-24-2008, 07:10 PM
The Dodgers just recalled Clayton Kershaw, so it is making the Jay Bruce Call up all the more linkely now... How can the Reds justify letting him stay down there with Patterson hitting .213 and CF waiting for him right there....

I went to a Lousville Bats game this week and Bruce was raking, he had two singles that were drilled and played a mean centerfeild.

Ghosts of 1990
05-25-2008, 02:36 PM
It will help this year. This year is far from over. Last year the Rockies and Cubs got off to horrible starts, and both made moves that improved the team and got them into the playoffs.

Just look at the Pirates right now. last weeks, they were tied with the Reds for last place, then won 6 in a row, and are one game below .500.

One hot streak of a week or two, and the Reds are right back in it.

Signing Lofton would be another dead end move, if you ask me. :thumbdown

_Sir_Charles_
05-25-2008, 04:51 PM
Ummm...isn't Lofton living in a Florida Retirement Home? I could've swore I saw him playing shuffleboard with Julio Franco last weekend. Hmmm.