PDA

View Full Version : Do we need to start a fan boycott to get Bruce up?

44Magnum
05-15-2008, 09:15 AM
It's simply not fair for the kid.
The Reds conversations must go something like this...
Jocketty to Bruce, "Sorry Jay, but you need to raise that .366 average if you want to make it to the Bigs!"

scounts22
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Um, have you watched any of the home games lately??? The fan boycott is pretty much already happening...

44Magnum
05-15-2008, 09:24 AM
Good point! :D

OSUredsFAN
05-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Um, have you watched any of the home games lately??? The fan boycott is pretty much already happening...

That was my first thought when I read the header!
If I was living back in Ohio, I would be there in the stands, no boycott for me.

Nasty_Boy
05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I think Marty is the biggest reason attendance is down. He is the person that most Reds fans get when they don't live in the Cincinnati area. This team hasn't been good but he works for the Reds and he does a poor job of selling the product. If people far away are listening to him and all he's doing is complaining and beating this team down, then people aren't going to pay $3.95 a gallon to drive 2.5-3 hrs for a ballgame. I've enjoyed this series on the radio because I've been able to listen to Kelch (sp?). Marty is a grump old man that is getting hard to listen to, and most fans have adopted his way of thinking when it comes to the Reds.

EddieMilner
05-15-2008, 10:25 AM
I think Marty is the biggest reason attendance is down. He is the person that most Reds fans get when they don't live in the Cincinnati area. This team hasn't been good but he works for the Reds and he does a poor job of selling the product. If people far away are listening to him and all he's doing is complaining and beating this team down, then people aren't going to pay $3.95 a gallon to drive 2.5-3 hrs for a ballgame. I've enjoyed this series on the radio because I've been able to listen to Kelch (sp?). Marty is a grump old man that is getting hard to listen to, and most fans have adopted his way of thinking when it comes to the Reds.

I think the product on the field has more to do with it than Marty's grumpy ways.

Nasty_Boy
05-15-2008, 10:35 AM
Don't get me wrong, the product hasn't been good but he's not helping matters. I'm sick of his meaningless opinions, he should just call the game and promote the product. If he wants to have an opinion, he should join Redszone.

smoke6
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
NOBODY GOES TO THE GAMES ANYWAY!!!!:confused:

EddieMilner
05-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Don't get me wrong, the product hasn't been good but he's not helping matters. I'm sick of his meaningless opinions, he should just call the game and promote the product. If he wants to have an opinion, he should join Redszone.

Where I live, I hear a lot of Cubs radio broadcasts, and that happens to be Pat and Ron. Ron Santo is a huge homer that is obnoxious to listen to if you aren't a Cubs fan (me being one).
I prefer Marty's telling it like it is ways (while he is a lot grumpier in the last few years and how he harps on the same stuff over and again annoys me). He could be better, but I can deal with it. And when he is actually doing the PBP, I think he is about as good as it gets.

To clarify, I am definitely not a Cubs fan. I reread this post and it sounds like I said I am one. This is definitely not the case. I have to work too many hours to be a Cubs fan.

Ahhhorsepoo
05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
just liek everything in life.. people hate hearing from people who tell them like it is..

Nasty_Boy
05-15-2008, 10:46 AM
I don't think Marty tells it like it is. I think Marty tells it how he feels. He's very inconsistent with his comments. This is my first baseball season with XM radio and I would much rather hear someone call the game and try to make it enjoyable to listen to... I think Marty goes overboard with his comments.

HeatherC1212
05-15-2008, 11:08 AM
We have a three game winning streak going right now and yet people are STILL complaining about stuff. The blown save sucked last night but the walk off win was just incredible and a big boost to the team. Can't we just enjoy the good ride right now and moan and groan about things later!? :thumbdown

CySeymour
05-15-2008, 11:10 AM
This is my first baseball season with XM radio and I would much rather hear someone call the game and try to make it enjoyable to listen to...

The Reds have someone like that...George Grande. His goal is to not be offensive and paint a rosy picture.

I'll take Marty.

RSNtransplant
05-15-2008, 11:52 AM
I don't think Marty tells it like it is. I think Marty tells it how he feels. He's very inconsistent with his comments. This is my first baseball season with XM radio and I would much rather hear someone call the game and try to make it enjoyable to listen to... I think Marty goes overboard with his comments.

I could not agree with you more. I only listen to the Cincy broadcast as a last resort. Bought season tickets so I can see home games versus hear the call on local radio(which was growing increasingly more intolerable), and away games you can hear the other teams broadcasters on XM and mlb.com gamedayaudio. There are a lot of other games I'll listen too, b/c I know the broadcaster calls a good game. The Milwaukee home broadcast is one of the best IMO, with Bob Uecker of Major League fame. I like the St Louis and LA Dodger broadcast teams too. I highly recommend checking out the Yankees broadcast for a quick laugh, as the lady who does color there is like nails on a chalkboard nagging you, almost impossible to listen too.

The Boss 23
05-15-2008, 11:54 AM
We have a three game winning streak going right now and yet people are STILL complaining about stuff. The blown save sucked last night but the walk off win was just incredible and a big boost to the team. Can't we just enjoy the good ride right now and moan and groan about things later!? :thumbdown

I agree. We just ran a sweep of the division leaders in the NL East. :cool: However I think we can still see future problems on the horizon. So while in the immediate things are great great it doesn't mean we should stop trying to make the proper adjustments for the rest of the year.

The Boss 23
05-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy

I could not agree with you more. I only listen to the Cincy broadcast as a last resort. Bought season tickets so I can see home games versus hear the call on local radio(which was growing increasingly more intolerable), and away games you can hear the other teams broadcasters on XM and mlb.com gamedayaudio. There are a lot of other games I'll listen too, b/c I know the broadcaster calls a good game. The Milwaukee home broadcast is one of the best IMO, with Bob Uecker of Major League fame. I like the St Louis and LA Dodger broadcast teams too. I highly recommend checking out the Yankees broadcast for a quick laugh, as the lady who does color there is like nails on a chalkboard nagging you, almost impossible to listen too.

Is this for real?!? Marty is a staple like Harry Carey form the Cubs. Yes he speaks his mind. So what? How can we seriously have a problem with a guy who has the gall and charisma to say what needs to be said?! He's like Charles Barkley for TNT. The guy says what everybody is thinking but doesnt have the guts. Marty does a great job and I applaud him!

redsfanfalcon
05-15-2008, 11:59 AM
I agree. We just ran a sweep of the division leaders in the NL East. :cool: However I think we can still see future problems on the horizon. So while in the immediate things are great great it doesn't mean we should stop trying to make the proper adjustments for the rest of the year.

Still one more game with Florida tonight...hopefully we can say that tomorrow!

The Boss 23
05-15-2008, 12:01 PM
That's my bad. Thank you for the correction. But yeah hopefully!:thumbup:

Trackman20
05-15-2008, 12:21 PM

Zing haha

RSNtransplant
05-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Is this for real?!? Marty is a staple like Harry Carey form the Cubs. Yes he speaks his mind. So what? How can we seriously have a problem with a guy who has the gall and charisma to say what needs to be said?! He's like Charles Barkley for TNT. The guy says what everybody is thinking but doesnt have the guts. Marty does a great job and I applaud him!

I do believe Marty has the clout to say just about whatever he wants on the radio, unlike a lot of other broadcasters(based on Mark Patrick and Buck Martiniez statements made about marty on mlbAM on XM), but just because you can say whatever you want to doesn't mean you should. I don't see how him calling out players on air where they have no opportunity to make there own case is gutsy, or even at a public event they are at together where class dictates you do not address what is said about you. Why do we need broadcasters emphatically piling on players, personnel, etc, why does that need to be said? Does it make the team better? Does it make the fan smarter? I'd rather hear why someone made an error or Ks rather than how bad they are, where they need to go, or whether or not they get it.

Ghosts of 1990
05-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Bruce needs more time. His home runs haven't been line drive enough. Too arching. He isn't rounding the bases well enough. His shoes came untied one game last week. He's not ready yet.

Ghosts of 1990
05-15-2008, 12:50 PM
More news on this....

Ryan Braun's agent, Nez Balelo, just told us that Braun's $45 million guaranteed deal with the Brewers could go to $51 million if the leftfielder qualifies for salary arbitration after the 2009 season as a "Super 2" player.
Braun had only 129 days of service time prior to this year, which could have made him wait another three years to be eligible for salary arbitration. But, each year, the top 17% of players with between two years and three years of service qualify for arbitration as "Super 2" players.
Should Braun qualify after the 2009 season and not 2010, Balelo said an escalator was in place to boost Braun's total pay to $51 million. No player has qualified for "Super 2" status with less than 130 days of first-year service since 1991.
Balelo also said that Braun received a $2.3 million signing bonus payable this year, on top of the $455,000 salary he already had agreed to.
Braun's contract also has a full no-trade clause for four years, a limited clause (12 teams), the next two years and a further limited clause (six teams) the final two years.
"It's a historic deal," said Balelo. "It was very important to guarantee the money. If he does get "Super 2" status, we're protected. We'll know in November 2009 about that."

Brewers weren't worried about Braun's super 2 status.

TheBigLebowski
05-15-2008, 12:57 PM
I cannot believe how bad the attendance has been this season. I live in Gainesville, FL and I always manage to travel to see the Reds once a year. I cannot imagine how great it would be to live within reasonable driving distance of GAB.

BurgervilleBuck
05-15-2008, 01:59 PM

You're right. The fans deserve more George Grande happy talk and less of Marty's realism.

Honestly, holding MB responsible for the Reds' attendance woes is like holding Don Pardo responsible for SNL's bad ratings.

lidspinner
05-15-2008, 02:12 PM
I cannot believe how bad the attendance has been this season. I live in Gainesville, FL and I always manage to travel to see the Reds once a year. I cannot imagine how great it would be to live within reasonable driving distance of GAB.

I am with ya pal.....I am about an hour from the park and I have thought about season tickets since I go to so many games.....This year, the 14 games taht i have been to have had horrible crowds. I know the concessions are outrageous but I ALWAYS take a small cooler with enough water and a few snacks, bag of peanuts......I spend about 10 bucks on a brat and a dip-ndots......Thats a pretty cheap game if ya ask me. But then again, when you play the way we have been its hard to attract fans. Its a catch22

TheBigLebowski
05-15-2008, 02:18 PM
I spend about 10 bucks on a brat and a dip-ndots......Thats a pretty cheap game if ya ask me. But then again, when you play the way we have been its hard to attract fans. Its a catch22

You Cincy/Ohio folks don't appreciate it but, we can't get "ICE COOOOLD HU-DE-POHL" down here. Rare treat for me. I miss the dollar dogs as well.

Nasty_Boy
05-15-2008, 02:37 PM
I do believe Marty has the clout to say just about whatever he wants on the radio, unlike a lot of other broadcasters(based on Mark Patrick and Buck Martiniez statements made about marty on mlbAM on XM), but just because you can say whatever you want to doesn't mean you should. I don't see how him calling out players on air where they have no opportunity to make there own case is gutsy, or even at a public event they are at together where class dictates you do not address what is said about you. Why do we need broadcasters emphatically piling on players, personnel, etc, why does that need to be said? Does it make the team better? Does it make the fan smarter? I'd rather hear why someone made an error or Ks rather than how bad they are, where they need to go, or whether or not they get it.

It's truely amazing hearing other broadcasters and how much different they sound, no matter how good or bad the team is playing. Marty brings heat on players that sometime is unjustified. The Baseball this AM show with Patrick and Martinez shows what people nationally think of Marty. He rubs a lot of other broadcasters and baseball people the wrong way because of his arrogance. I grew up loving Marty and Joe, but without Joe, Marty is out of control.

You also commented on listening to the Dodgers... You are 100% correct! Vin Scully is a true proffessional and is absolutely amazing to listen to! I was blown away at how good the Dodger fans have it... Vin Scully is the definition of a HOF broadcaster!

elfmanvt07
05-15-2008, 02:46 PM
Honestly, holding MB responsible for the Reds' attendance woes is like holding Don Pardo responsible for SNL's bad ratings.

This is a horrible analogy. If SNL were a radio show, Don Pardo narrated the entire show, and he kept saying how crappy it was, THEN we'd have an analogy. I'm not saying Marty should blow smoke up our collective behinds, but for a great number of people (including me), Marty is my sole live person connecting me to the Redlegs. Why should people come to games if the person telling them about said games says nothing but bad things?!