PDA

View Full Version : What happens if..?

smoke6
05-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Just when we go on a little tear, the human rally killer toes the rubber. What happens to Belisle if he continues to "stink"? Is it Homer time?

44Magnum
05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
It's been Homer time for a while now.

smoke6
05-15-2008, 11:31 AM
It's been Homer time for a while now.

Yeah, but will the guys who make the decisions agree? :D

The Boss 23
05-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Homer Bailey
W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
4 3 3.55 0 50.2 48 20 14 40

Matt Belisle
W L ERA SV IP H ER BB SO
1 3 7.45 0 19.1 32 16 5 9

Comparative over the last 10 games. I'd say it's time for Homer!

lidspinner
05-15-2008, 02:05 PM
ya know, I always thought Matt would be a great starter...he has that effortless look to him while pitching, alomost AH like, but man ole man does he ever fail. I too hope Homer get sthe nod sooner than later but at this point you have to ask yourself...why has it taken this long to get MB out of the rotation? Why cant Homer come up and sit in the pen and get 7 innings a week(I realize they want to keep him on schedule).
The writing is on the wall for HB to be in a reds uni but it has been for some time now, so who knows when it will actually happen.

BurgervilleBuck
05-15-2008, 02:08 PM
I thought we wanted to trade Homer.:confused:

schmidty622
05-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I thought we wanted to trade Homer.:confused:

If he comes up and does well at the Major league level I would have no problem shipping him if he brought back a key peace such as nice RH bat or a more proven starter.

That being said I would have absolutely no problem if he was a Red for a long time. Assuming he pitches well.

TheBigLebowski
05-15-2008, 02:22 PM
I'd be happier if that ERA was lower than 3.55 but I'm still high on Homer nonetheless. Belisle has had more than enough changes and my mind won't be changed if he goes out tonight and pitches 7 innings of shutout ball.

TheBigLebowski
05-15-2008, 02:23 PM
If he comes up and does well at the Major league level I would have no problem shipping him if he brought back a key peace such as nice RH bat or a more proven starter.

That being said I would have absolutely no problem if he was a Red for a long time. Assuming he pitches well.

I just won 2 autographed Homer baseballs on ebay. No trading him now.

The Boss 23
05-15-2008, 02:28 PM
The ERA is a little worrysome. However his SO to BB ratio is very good. Not to mention if we could fastforward MB starts to more accurately compare, I think the numbers would be even more staggering in HB favor.

Ghosts of 1990
05-15-2008, 08:05 PM
gotta be honest, belisle has done nothing to earn his spot. I don't understand it. WHy not see what bailey has the rest of the year.

Degenerate39
05-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Bring up Homer ASAP and do w/e you need to with Belisle.

smoke6
05-15-2008, 09:20 PM
I guess the 1st step would be to send Belisle to the pen and send someone like Lincoln down. Homer has more of an upside than Matty B regardless of his ERA.

Ghosts of 1990
05-15-2008, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Belisle get hit around... one more start to get homer up here and solidify the rotation for the rest of the season.

bubbachunk
05-16-2008, 09:56 AM
I still do not think Homer is truly ready

CySeymour
05-16-2008, 10:48 AM
The stories of Homer are starting to make him remind me of another big time prospect the Reds had who flamed out, Jack Armstrong.

smoke6
05-16-2008, 10:49 AM
I still do not think Homer is truly ready

Maybe not, but he still has more to offer than Matty B. IMO:thumbup:

Krovvy Red
05-16-2008, 01:19 PM
While it's still technically early in the season, the Reds are showing more problems than calling up Homer is going to fix. And he still clealy has more to prove in AAA. IMO, you bring him up if a) it helps push the team into contention or b) it's beneficial to Homer's development to get him out of a situation that's too easy. As I see it, neither is the case right now, so why add to his MLB service time?

Hopefully, he polishes everything in AAA that the FO has in mind for him in the next couple of months and he can spend July through August in Cincy getting the MLB jitters out so he's an effective piece in '09.

durl
05-16-2008, 04:04 PM
This is just my impression so I could be VERY wrong here, but it seems as though Bailey and Belisle both tend to do well in the minors but not so great in the majors.

Bailey's ERA in the minors concerns me, too. His ERA in Louisville would be acceptable if he were pitching to major leaguers but he's not. I wonder if big leaguers would eat his lunch.

Krovvy Red
05-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Right, because ERA is such a great indicator of effectiveness for pitchers. Look at some more important stats: He has a 2.85 K/BB rate and a 1.22 WHIP. Those are better than the 3.55 ERA would indicate. No numbers on it (maybe someone could help me out) but I'm willing to bet his BABIP against is fairly high.

Instead, I'd submit that the real problem (why he does well in the minors but not in the majors) is his flyball tendencies. He can get away with it in the minors against lesser hitters, but against MLBers in the Smallpark, he gets rocked. This would tend to match up with our theories on his unteachability (word?). He's trying to strike guys out but that leads to working up in the zone with the fastball. Strikes minor leaguers out but not MLBers. If he was listening to what they're likely trying to teach him, he'd be pitching to more contact, keeping the ball low, and thus more often in the park.

Orodle
05-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Shearn and Lehr have been doing pretty well too, wouldnt surprise me at all if we saw either of them before Bailey.