PDA

View Full Version : The whole avatar thing.... isn't it a bit much?

Ghosts of 1990
05-19-2008, 10:44 AM
I can understand wanting to make posters earn their way into the ORG and it's fine by me. There's still another quality forum to enjoy discussing Redlegs. I can even deal with the fact I can't start threads.

But the whole 'you can't have an avatar by your name unless you're in ORG'.

What is up with that? I would like to hear the reasoning behind it.:confused:

westofyou
05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Bandwidth... but hey you know everything about the Reds so you probably knew that too.

Ghosts of 1990
05-19-2008, 11:08 AM
Bandwidth... but hey you know everything about the Reds so you probably knew that too.

I do know a lot about the reds. Why do you take offense to that

RedlegJake
05-19-2008, 11:20 AM
It's the "there's not a human being on this planet" thing, but I've already made up my mind so why do I bother replying?

smoke6
05-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Man JB32, you seem to dislike a lot about the board. Why visit then?

Joseph
05-19-2008, 02:03 PM
You forget that this is a board that is owned by someone. Someone who is allowed to make their own rules and guidelines. Believe it or not the grand interweb isn't a place where people just get to come and do whatever they want, whenever they want.

There are rules in life, there are rules on the internet, you should probably just learn to accept that at this point.

WMR
05-19-2008, 03:28 PM
You forget that this is a board that is owned by someone. Someone who is allowed to make their own rules and guidelines. Believe it or not the grand interweb isn't a place where people just get to come and do whatever they want, whenever they want.

There are rules in life, there are rules on the internet, you should probably just learn to accept that at this point.

:angry:

(Except for Raisor, correct? He is exempt from all rules, both in life and on the internet.)

dougdirt
05-19-2008, 04:10 PM
I have a question for Boss then regarding this. If its truly a bandwidth concern, is there a feature that would allow users (in all forums, not just those outside the ORG) to host their own avatars? There are plenty of free places to do so (photobucket for starters) and that could certainly cut down on the bandwidth of the site and it could also allow all users, regardless of posting privileges to use an avatar. Just a thought on the topic that I would toss out there.

Boss-Hog
05-19-2008, 05:49 PM
What he said.

Boss-Hog
05-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I have a question for Boss then regarding this. If its truly a bandwidth concern, is there a feature that would allow users (in all forums, not just those outside the ORG) to host their own avatars? There are plenty of free places to do so (photobucket for starters) and that could certainly cut down on the bandwidth of the site and it could also allow all users, regardless of posting privileges to use an avatar. Just a thought on the topic that I would toss out there.
I'd have absolutely no problem with that if there was a way to allow everyone to only use avatars from external sites (without also allowing them to upload their own avatar), but after doing some digging, it looks like the option is either both on or both off.

Heath
05-20-2008, 10:39 AM
I'd have absolutely no problem with that if there was a way to allow everyone to only use avatars from external sites (without also allowing them to upload their own avatar), but after doing some digging, it looks like the option is either both on or both off.

I'd rather be a board full of information, then a technicolor maze of sound and fury signifying nothing.

smoke6
05-20-2008, 10:59 AM
I'd rather be a board full of information, then a technicolor maze of sound and fury signifying nothing.

But yet you add to the "technicolor maze of sound and fury signifying nothing" by having an avatar yourself. :D

EddieMilner
05-20-2008, 11:10 AM
But yet you add to the "technicolor maze of sound and fury signifying nothing" by having an avatar yourself. :D

I actually think "technicolor maze of sound and fury signifying nothing" describes Don Cherry about as accurate as possible without using four lettered rants.

Heath
05-20-2008, 11:35 AM

My thing are the sig line avatars that are bigger than the posts themselves.

smoke6
05-20-2008, 11:56 AM

I guess I'm in the dog house then. :(

vaticanplum
05-20-2008, 12:33 PM
Avatars were my motivation to post quality stuff. 100%. I wanted a picture in the worst way.

Caveat Emperor
05-20-2008, 02:01 PM
Avatars were my motivation to post quality stuff. 100%. I wanted a picture in the worst way.

I, for one, hide beyond my mildly witty name and adorable avatar. ;)

Ghosts of 1990
05-20-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't want any trouble. I wish I could have an avatar but as I've said before: your house, your rules, your mustard jar champ. Maybe someday I'll get one on here. If not I'll be alright.

KronoRed
05-20-2008, 02:46 PM

Wily Mo front and center :D

Fon Duc Tow
05-23-2008, 02:14 PM

And you must never ask why. :D

Raisor
05-23-2008, 02:44 PM

(Except for Raisor, correct? He is exempt from all rules, both in life and on the internet.)

I'm the exception that proves the rule.

Ghosts of 1990
05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
And you must never ask why. :D

Right though? ;)

marcshoe
05-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Posting simply because I can't remember what my avatar is on this site.

edit: okay. It is a photobucket thing. It's a drawing from an assignment I gave to a bunch of sixth graders last fall. Sorry. Go on with the relevant stuff....

Bob Borkowski
05-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Wily Mo front and center :D

Where in the world is Wily Mo, by the way? I haven't seen him lately. :confused:

Bob Borkowski
10-25-2008, 09:15 AM
Where in the world is Wily Mo, by the way? I haven't seen him lately. :confused:

Nevermind.

The big guy is back from vacation. Just in time for the World Series.

jojo
10-25-2008, 03:07 PM

A certain bit of latitude comes with winning 32 nobel prizes....

Raisor
10-25-2008, 07:29 PM

As you know, it's that time of year again. Just heard from the committee. Three more go on the shelf.

Two for literature.
One for knowing every line from "The Godfather".

WMR
10-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Nevermind.

The big guy is back from vacation. Just in time for the World Series.

:D

Hey, Mr. Borkowski. :wave:

Go Rays! :D

WMR
10-25-2008, 07:31 PM

Hehe, if you don't believe him, just ask.

Although a guy as modest as Raisor... it can be quite difficult to get him to talk about himself.

WMR
10-25-2008, 07:32 PM
As you know, it's that time of year again. Just heard from the committee. Three more go on the shelf.

Two for literature.
One for knowing every line from "The Godfather".

The Dustfather: "Leave the on-base percentage, take the batting average."

BRM
10-27-2008, 10:26 AM
The Dustfather: "Leave the on-base percentage, take the batting average."

You gotta swing the bat to be dangerous, dude.