PDA

View Full Version : Kennedy diagnosed with brain tumor

OldRightHander
05-20-2008, 02:25 PM
If this gets political, then zap it, but I hope we can all behave here.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,356745,00.html

Sen. Ted Kennedy Has Malignant Brain Tumor, Doctors Say

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Sen. Ted Kennedy has been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.

BOSTON — Sen. Ted Kennedy has been diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor, FOX News confirms.

Doctors for the Massachusetts Democrat said Tuesday that "preliminary results" from tests conducted on Kennedy after a seizure sent him to the hospital over the weekend confirmed the diagnosis.

"Preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal lobe," the doctors said in a statement, adding that treatment would likely include "combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy."

The doctors said that he was in "good condition" and had not suffered any more seizures since Saturday.

"Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis," they said. "Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."

The 76-year-old senator has been hospitalized in Boston since Saturday, when he was airlifted from Cape Cod after a seizure at his home.
Related

His wife and children have been with him each day but have made no public statements.

Malignant gliomas are a type of brain cancer diagnosed in about 9,000 Americans a year — and the most common type among adults. It's a starting diagnosis: How well patients fare depends on what specific tumor type is determined by further testing.

Average survival can range from less than a year for very advanced and aggressive types — such as glioblastomas — or to about five years for different types that are slower growing.

Jefferson24
05-20-2008, 02:43 PM
No reason to bring a guy down, doesn't matter how you feel about him or his politics. I hope he is able to deal with it in the best way he feels he can. Life-threatening cancer is real tough, especially at 76. There will need to be some hard decisions on how to or if to treat it aggressively. Some choose comfort over longevity. I suspect he will fight it hard but some don't and that’s ok too.

I wish him peace.

MWM
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
I guarantee you--I GUARANTEE you--folks won't be able to behave in this thread.

Well, this doesn't really help, does it? But I think people, no matter how they feel about thim, will have compassion and wouldn't stoop to using this as a chance to take shots at him.

It's very sad. I hope they found it soon enough that they can treat it effectively and proling his life as long as possible.

Unassisted
05-20-2008, 02:48 PM
That's a tough diagnosis. The Senator is fortunate to have the resources to get himself the best medical care available.

OldRightHander
05-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Well, this doesn't really help, does it? But I think people, no matter how they feel about thim, will have compassion and wouldn't stoop to using this as a chance to take shots at him.

It's very sad. I hope they found it soon enough that they can treat it effectively and proling his life as long as possible.

Yep. I've taken enough shots at him over the years, but now is not the time.

Matt700wlw
05-20-2008, 03:14 PM
I wish him all the best, you never want to see someone go through this...how long has he been in the Senate? 40 years or something?

No matter what you think of him politically, that's a very impressive run

WMR
05-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Does karma usually take 40 years? :rolleyes:

Prayers go out to the family of Mary Jo Kopechne.

GoReds33
05-20-2008, 03:43 PM
That's very sad. He's lucky to have the money to get great medical care, as Unassisted said. I wish him the best of luck.

MWM
05-20-2008, 03:49 PM

Well, go ahead and shut it down. I guess FCB was right. You're an embarassment, WMR.

WMR
05-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Well, go ahead and shut it down. I guess FCB was right. You're an embarassment, WMR.

Did I say anything political? I'd say the same thing about any other murderer.

Thanks for the personal attack, though. Classy. :beerme:

OldRightHander
05-20-2008, 03:59 PM

I don't particularly care for him or most of his positions, but I figured that now wasn't the time to bring all that up. I don't know about karma, but I seem to remember reading something about loving your enemies.

WMR
05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
I don't particularly care for him or most of his positions, but I figured that now wasn't the time to bring all that up. I don't know about karma, but I seem to remember reading something about loving your enemies.

I was very careful not to bring any of that into this discussion.

Politics COMPLETELY aside, the man is a scumbag.

Thoughts and prayers to the family of Mary Jo Kopechne.