PDA

View Full Version : What does Dusty Baker to help Reds win?

UK Reds Fan
05-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I have grown more and more dissatisified with Baker and I'm not a big fan of hammering on the manager in baseball. But we should have just kept Pete Mack at the helm and saved about 3 Mill per season.

Look at last nights lineup:
1. Patterson
2. Janish
3. Griff
4. Phillips
5. Dunn
6. EE
7. Votto
8. Bako/Ross

Look at what Pete Mack did last year:
1. Hamilton
2. Keppinger
3. Griff
4. Phillips
5. Dunn
6. EE
7. Conine
8. Ross

Hatteburg moves to 2 hole when righty pitches, Hopper/Freel moved up to leadoff when Hamilton was injured.

I'm sorry, it has been discussed alot, but Patterson/Janish at top two in the order...what a wonder we struggled to score. The lack of foresight to understand Janish will eventually be batting in the 220 range soon. Patterson has been OBP awful his whole career, etc... Why pay for any manager if this is such a robotic job that Dusty manages with no regard to who is hot/not, OBP guys ahead of big boppers, move Griff off the 3-hole, etc.. What is a bigger waste, Stanton's 3.5 Mill or Dusty's 3.5 Mill this year. What has either done for the Reds this year?

Hondo
05-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Baker 3 Million
Patterson 3 Million

You would have technically saved 6 Million :cool:

BluegrassRedleg
05-22-2008, 12:57 AM
I can't see how they can continue to trot Patterson out in the leadoff spot and use Griffey in the 3 hole. No other MLB team would have the nerve to do that.

Jack Burton
05-22-2008, 10:10 AM
What can Dusty do to help the Reds win?
Resign.

Griffey012
05-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Griffey is batting over .300 in the last 12 games, hit a few balls to the track, his swing is coming around. However he has nobody to hit in most of the time. What I am trying to say, is that whoever is in the 3 hole is not going to be able to produce. They are going to have to get on base for the other people since our leadoff and sometimes 2 hitters are so bad.

mroby85
05-22-2008, 11:31 AM
it's easy to make that lineup look better having a player in it that is no longer in a reds uniform that we acquired volquez for. I see now that the 6 game winning streak is over, we'll be going back to the dusty bashing threads.

CWRed
05-22-2008, 12:26 PM
What can Dusty do to help the Reds win?
Resign.

Yes this would make my year. Dusty shows a complete lack of knowledge of most things baseball related. Like who are good hitters and bad ones. That aspect is kind of key to a quality ball club.

demas863
05-22-2008, 02:49 PM
Baker 3 Million
Patterson 3 Million

You would have technically saved 6 Million :cool:

Hey. Take it easy on Dusty. He ingeniously okayed getting rid of Hamilton and relegating Bruce to AAA so he could have a real pro in center as well as a strong on-base guy in the one hole.

bounty37h
05-22-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey. Take it easy on Dusty. He ingeniously okayed getting rid of Hamilton and relegating Bruce to AAA so he could have a real pro in center as well as a strong on-base guy in the one hole.

Ingeniously okayed trading Hammy? I love Hamilton as a player and a hometown boy I have followed for many years, but it dpoesnt take a genius to reliaze the value we got in return in that trade, you know, the guy leading the major leagues in ERA? Its not like he traded him to get Milton back in a Reds uni or anything...

PTI (pti)
05-22-2008, 09:02 PM
What does Dusty Baker do to help the Reds win??

Nothing - just like most baseball managers, unfortunately. In my opinion, there's only a select few (Leyland, Pinella, Scioscia) that actually make their teams better just by sitting in the dugout. The rest of them just sit there and try not to screw up.

Unfortunately, Dusty's having trouble even doing that.

Blue
05-22-2008, 09:13 PM
He's got to be the worst manager in baseball. He double switches out the wrong outfielder in late innings of close games. He double switches out his best slugger in late innings of close games. His lineups would be almost ideal if he put the players in reverse order. He has his best sluggers attempt to bunt in big situations, twice bailed out by these same sluggers with the long ball. He sucks.

Pretty much anything you can do wrong, he does it. A lot.

Hondo
05-22-2008, 09:55 PM
He's got to be the worst manager in baseball. He double switches out the wrong outfielder in late innings of close games. He double switches out his best slugger in late innings of close games. His lineups would be almost ideal if he put the players in reverse order. He has his best sluggers attempt to bunt in big situations, twice bailed out by these same sluggers with the long ball. He sucks.

Pretty much anything you can do wrong, he does it. A lot.

I bet he leads the League in Double Switches...

You're right though, HE even gets his players out of order in the Lineup...

Doesn't that reflect on the Manager?

demas863
05-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Ingeniously okayed trading Hammy? I love Hamilton as a player and a hometown boy I have followed for many years, but it dpoesnt take a genius to reliaze the value we got in return in that trade, you know, the guy leading the major leagues in ERA? Its not like he traded him to get Milton back in a Reds uni or anything...

Regardless of the merits of the trade (which is arguable) Dusty wanted Patterson and couldn't pull it off with Hamilton on board. It just made it easier to say "ok, done deal as far as I'm concerned." My take though on the trade is that it's a wash at this point. Volquez has been through the same team twice only one time (Cubs). If he makes the rounds again with close to the results he's had so far - advantage Volquez.

CWRed
05-23-2008, 12:48 PM
I sobbed into my pillow for what seemed like an eternity last night. I blame Dusty.

ThirdBaseCoach
05-23-2008, 02:48 PM

love the sarcasm.