PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with Cueto?

schmidty622
05-21-2008, 10:53 PM
Is he simply not the pitcher we all thought he was after the first few starts? Is he just a 21 year old pitcher struggling with his control?

I think it's the latter, once the Reds are out of it for sure I wouldn't mind seeing them send him down to AAA to work on hitting his spots in non-threatening game situations. Then give him a fresh start at the beginning of next season.

Oh, and hold him out of winter ball please, those are just unnecessary pitches he's throwing.

Blue
05-21-2008, 11:15 PM
I think he's just young, but this is where he has to learn to do it. I wouldn't send him down.

CarolinaRedleg
05-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I think it's called "Dodger Stadium."

None of our guys do well there:thumbdown

captainmorgan07
05-21-2008, 11:17 PM
It's called growing pains

tigh24
05-21-2008, 11:46 PM
He'll be fine. This year is a learning year for a lot of players on the Roster. Coming into next year with Harang, Volquez, Cueto, Arroyo, and Bailey is going to be very exciting.

DTCromer
05-21-2008, 11:48 PM
His confidence is shot. That's about it. He's young, but he'll be fine. . eventually.

But he's really struggling right now. I think they should at least consider moving him down just to get his confidence back.

DTCromer
05-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Well, the numbers were actually better than I thought.

I think Cueto was actually ahead in the count at some point with 18 of the 26 batters. I may be off by a batter, but it's something like that.

Johnny just has a problem closing out guys.

Nasty_Boy
05-22-2008, 12:13 AM
He didn't get hit hard tonight. The defense has let him down and led to extra pitches. The wild pitches were both on Bako, IMO.

Homer Bailey
05-22-2008, 12:24 AM
The whole staff has suffered from miserable defense all series.

jmac
05-22-2008, 12:25 AM
5ip 7 h 2 er

Last start he no-hit the Indians thru 5 before the dreaded 6th.
Personally, as someone said, "growing pains" that we knew would happen.
I think as season progresses , he could easily get his era down to around 4.5 which would be fine for first year.

Kingspoint
05-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Nothing is wrong with Cueto.

Young rookie starters are supposed to have ERA's in the 6+ category.

Look at the Top 200 starters over the last 35 years that are 24 or under their rookie season and the majority of them have rookie years similar to this whether they're Johan Santana or whoever.

That's one of the reasons for wanting to bring up Bailey and let him get it over with. But, do you want two of them doing it the same year? Probably not, unless you want to be like Detroit five years ago and lose 110 games.

redhawk61
05-22-2008, 01:26 AM
Nothing is wrong with Cueto.

Young rookie starters are supposed to have ERA's in the 6+ category.

Look at the Top 200 starters over the last 35 years that are 24 or under their rookie season and the majority of them have rookie years similar to this whether they're Johan Santana or whoever.

That's one of the reasons for wanting to bring up Bailey and let him get it over with. But, do you want two of them doing it the same year? Probably not, unless you want to be like Detroit five years ago and lose 110 games.

#1 overall pick please

Jefferson24
05-22-2008, 01:53 AM
Absolutely no confidence in the defense behind him. He has to try and be perfect and, of course, he cant be so he pitches around hitters and gets himself in trouble almost every inning. He hasn't had his out pitch working last few games and cant close the deal once he gets 2 strikes.

You put him in front of a good defense that makes plays and his confidence goes up and he's probably 4 and 2 instead of 2 and 5.

ChatterRed
05-22-2008, 07:26 AM
Cueto's fielding let him down tonight. His stats weren't that bad. And it might help if the Reds score more than 2 runs.

bubbachunk
05-22-2008, 07:44 AM
Errors and wild pitches were the big problem tonight.

Hey Meat
05-22-2008, 11:55 AM
I think its called scouting. They have him figured out already.

EddieMilner
05-22-2008, 12:05 PM
I think its called scouting. They have him figured out already.

They scouted him so well that he isn't hitting his spots now? Thats some fantastic scouting.

He's young, and he's lost his confidence. He'll be fine. And I'd like to see if he has it in him to gain his confidence back in the majors.

ChatterRed
05-22-2008, 12:30 PM
I think it's called rookie-itus.

BLEEDS
05-22-2008, 12:45 PM
He's got good stuff, he's just losing it for an inning or so in one aspect or the other.

He'll gain consistency. I think he's adusting to actually throwing what the catcher puts down too, instead of what HE thinks he should be throwing. That might take some getting used to.

He's probably down on himself too, especially after his early success. Probably set some unreasonable expectations for himself. He'll be fine. Look at Voltar, circa 2008, to see how a kid with FANTASTIC stuff can put it all together after a couple "growing pains" years...

PEACE

-BLEEDS

levydl
05-22-2008, 01:47 PM
He was dominant for 5 innings in his last start at home. He hasn't lost anything. It's tough to be a good pitcher 10 starts into your career.

Hondo
05-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Hey, Jim Leyland said it best "Always go with the Talent"

I would rather watch Johnny Cueto Pitch with amazing stuff and figure it out then go with a Bunch of Re-Treads like this team always goes with...

I do not want to watch Fogg, or Dave Williams, or Kyle Loshe, or any other Pitcher that some other team didin't see Promise in...

Go with the Talent...

jmac
05-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Hey, Jim Leyland said it best "Always go with the Talent"

I would rather watch Johnny Cueto Pitch with amazing stuff and figure it out then go with a Bunch of Re-Treads like this team always goes with...

I do not want to watch Fogg, or Dave Williams, or Kyle Loshe, or any other Pitcher that some other team didin't see Promise in...

Go with the Talent...
:thumbup:
The last two starts he has :
6 ip 3 er
5 ip 2 er

Belisle/Fogg/Bailey/Maloney couldnt do that in all probablity.