PDA

View Full Version : Playing Hairston at SS is still a huge problem.

Kingspoint
05-27-2008, 05:36 PM
It's just as huge as leading off with Patterson.

Again, he has no range and makes an error every third game from the few balls that he gets to.

Hope that nothing gets hit to him.

Hurry up and get better Kepp and Gonzo since Baker still loves his Cubbies so much.

It's almost like Baker is playing Hairston at SS just to be stubborn.

If this doesn't prove that Baker is an idiot when it comes to baseball, then nothing else will prove it.

Blue
05-27-2008, 05:41 PM
Kingspoint, this is my all-time favorite post of yours. I can now blame the Chicago Cubs, whom I hate, for the state of this Reds team. Thank you.

He got it!
05-27-2008, 05:59 PM
Of all the reasons/ways the Reds are finding ways to lose games and you pick this one? Hairstons defense at short as the huge problem? I must disagree. It will be nice to get A-Gon's glove back in there but I hardly remember myself saying "man if we just had a better defensive shortstop we would have won that series."

05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Of all the reasons/ways the Reds are finding ways to lose games and you pick this one? Hairstons defense at short as the huge problem? I must disagree. It will be nice to get A-Gon's glove back in there but I hardly remember myself saying "man if we just had a better defensive shortstop we would have won that series."

Probably would have won the first game of the Dodger series if not for his error in the fifth inning. And his range has been well below average. Can't tell you how many times a game since he has started at SS that I wish even Kepp was back.

You can not win consistently with a sub average defensive SS. It might not hurt you for just a week or two, but over the long haul, you will regret it.

He got it!
05-27-2008, 06:17 PM
I agree that having Hairston at short is not helping us win games, I can just think of about 5 other things more obvious as to why the Reds are losing so many games. Not a "huge problem" in my opinion.

CWRed
05-27-2008, 06:55 PM
It is a huge problem because it's symptomatic of Dusty putting guys in the wrong roles, like for example...putting Javy at first and letting Hatte rot on the bench. Put Janish at SS, bat him 8th (not 2nd). His range and defense is much better.

He got it!
05-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Some how I knew this would turn into a Dusty bashing thread eventually.

05-27-2008, 07:07 PM

I think a thread about Global Warming or gas prices would turn into a Dusty basing thread on this board.

bubbachunk
05-27-2008, 09:51 PM
He is playing more for his bat not his gloves. He has done well in that respect and he is not the only poor defensive player on the field.

durl
05-27-2008, 11:22 PM
He is playing more for his bat not his gloves.

Bingo. Right now, I believe this team needs guys who can hit and Hairston is doing that quite well.

jmac
05-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Bingo. Right now, I believe this team needs guys who can hit and Hairston is doing that quite well.

Thank you.
He can also leadoff and set the table for Bruce-Jr-BP-Dunn etc.

Blue
05-28-2008, 12:18 AM

He deserves every bit of criticism he gets.

ChatterRed
05-28-2008, 12:48 AM
I dunno. Doesn't his offense make up for his defense?

LexingtonLegend
05-28-2008, 09:37 AM
I agree, with Hairston we are trading defense for offense. He has been one of the keys to our offense during the last 2 weeks, not to mention his stolen base numbers. I hope they can find him playing time when Kep comes back.

redssouth
05-28-2008, 09:43 AM
We are trading defense for offense at 5 other positions, what is one more going to hurt? If the Reds were that concerned about defense then EE would not be at 3rd, Jr would not be in RF, Dunn in LF, Votto at 1st, etc. You have to pick what kind of club you are going to be, and right now, I believe Dusty believes we strike enough guys out not to make fielding a premium, and go for offense.

Ghosts of 1990
05-28-2008, 09:50 AM
If hairston plays every day he could steal 30-40 bases. He could be another Bip Roberts

Hondo
05-28-2008, 02:32 PM
The guy deffinatley can steal bases, but I don't like his D at SS... I would just as soon see Paul Janish in there... for his D...

But Hariston is hitting .300 and swiping baggs, so as long as Dusty puts Janish in there in the late Innings... I am fine with Hariston...

Note- I do not think Hariston is any kind of long term answer what so ever for any position on this team.

bubbachunk
05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
The guy deffinatley can steal bases, but I don't like his D at SS... I would just as soon see Paul Janish in there... for his D...

But Hariston is hitting .300 and swiping baggs, so as long as Dusty puts Janish in there in the late Innings... I am fine with Hariston...

Note- I do not think Hariston is any kind of long term answer what so ever for any position on this team.

I don't think anybody sees him as anything more then a super sub to be honest but given the injuries at SS and the way he has performed (with the bat not his gloves) he has merited playing time for better or for worse.