PDA

View Full Version : Majewski called up

OldRed1966
06-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I've received word that Gary Majewski has been called up from Louisville. No word on who will go to make room, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see Fogg DFA'd, and then see the Reds make another move Thursday when the #5 spot comes back around on Thursday.

Trace's Daddy
06-01-2008, 09:47 AM
Cool, could Homer be the #5 guy?

schmidty622
06-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Hmmm is there anything official on this or is it just speculation?

OldRed1966
06-01-2008, 10:11 AM
Hmmm is there anything official on this or is it just speculation?

I don't have any links to provide, but I'm pretty sure it's official.

James B.
06-01-2008, 10:20 AM
The Reds badly need help in the bullpen. If Fogg is gone then I think this is a good move.

Orodle
06-01-2008, 11:09 AM
I'm all for giving Majewski another try, he has had success at the major league level so I'm not ready to give up on him yet.

As far as the new number 5 guy, I would expect to see Shearn before we see Bailey.

schmidty622
06-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Shearn was sold to Korea.

TDHND
06-01-2008, 11:18 AM
as much as i want to see homer back i want him to be ready to stay up this time.

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Pitcher Gary Majewski has been called up and Josh Fogg was put on the disabled list.

"After the game, Fogg was complaining about his back. He had some back spasms that look like they aren't going to subside. And we need some pitching help, bad," manager Dusty Baker said. "So we could wait with our situation. We called up Majewski."

~from Fay's blog (the girl posted it...can't recall her name right now though)

~As much as I'm glad to see Fogg go to the DL with a phantom injury...I'm equally as nervous at seeing Gary back up here. Yeah, he pitched well (lately) with the Bats, but I think we ALL know his track record in the bigs. *shudders*

1 Tool Player
06-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein

GoReds33
06-01-2008, 11:32 AM
I think it was just a way to get a fresh arm in the bullpen. I would rather it be Roenicke, but he's still in AA. They need to move him up to AAA so he can be ready if we need him.

Fullboat
06-01-2008, 11:36 AM
This has to be the last shot for Mr Majewski

OldRed1966
06-01-2008, 11:36 AM
Obviously another move will need to be made Thursday when the #5 starter spot comes up again. Will it be Bailey, Maloney or Thompson?

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I think it was just a way to get a fresh arm in the bullpen. I would rather it be Roenicke, but he's still in AA. They need to move him up to AAA so he can be ready if we need him.

Actually, Roenicke has been moved up to Louisville. Just in the past few days in fact.

Orodle
06-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Lehr was sold to Korea, not Shearn

OldRed1966
06-01-2008, 11:42 AM

Both of them were.

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 11:48 AM
An update on Majewski for those of you out of touch on the minors.

First and foremost...he shaved! LOL. He looks decidedly odd. :O)

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/images/players/mugshot/ph_400008.jpg

Seriously though, here's the numbers....

2-1 / 3.76 era / 22 games / 3 saves / 26.1 ip / 27 hits / 11 er / 2 hrs / 7 bb / 22 k's

But he'd gotten shelled early in the year. Here's his numbers for the past month.

2-1 / 1.46 era / 2 saves / 12.1 ip / 7 hits / 2 er / 3 bb / 12 k's

Some other numbers that could provide some insight....

ERA:

Ahead in count: 2.45
Behind in count: 10.80
Bases empty: 0.00
Runners on: 7.43
Runners in scoring position: 7.00
Home games: 1.59
Away games: 5.40
Day games: 6.00
Night games: 2.60

If we see the Majewski we've seen this past month, I'm okay with this callup. If we see the Majewski we saw all of last year and earlier this year...it's the first BAD move by Walt. Now it's a wait and see game.

I think it would've been better to give Herrera a shot instead of Majewski if they're looking for bullpen help. Herrera's stuff is so different from anybody else we've got in our current bullpen that the drastic change of pace would be very effective in one inning stints IMO. He's certainly been more consistantly effective than Gary has, that's for sure.

schmidty622
06-01-2008, 11:52 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Shearn

"On May 30, 2008, the Reds sold his contract to the Samsung Lions of the Korean Baseball League."

They sold them both to Korean teams.

OldRed1966
06-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I think everyone is making too big of a deal out of this move. The Reds bullpen was in obvious need of a fresh arm due to Harang's short outing on Thursday and Fogg's short outing yesterday and two straight extra inning games. I honestly feel that Majewski will just be here till Wednesday until the Reds make an other move for a starter for Thursday's game.

fadetoblack2880
06-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Shearn went to some Samsung team.

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 11:55 AM
For those of you interested in keeping up to date on the state of the Reds farm system, I highly suggest you bookmark DougDirt's (Doug Gray) website.

http://www.redsminorleagues.com/

Extremely informative and for the most part unbiased. There are a few exceptions. Doug does have "some" favorites. :O)

Trackman20
06-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Josh Fogg to the DL....per ESPN Bottom Line

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Yep, we got that from Fay a short while back.

On a side note...does anybody have any clue why C-Trent keeps referring to the Braves as the "larrys"? I get most of his references...but on this one, I'm lost.

Aces Wild
06-01-2008, 01:00 PM

On a side note...does anybody have any clue why C-Trent keeps referring to the Braves as the "larrys"? I get most of his references...but on this one, I'm lost.

I assume it's because Chipper's first name is Larry.

OldRed1966
06-01-2008, 01:01 PM

I'm pretty sure it's in reference to Larry " Chipper" Jones.

jmac
06-01-2008, 01:02 PM
For those of you interested in keeping up to date on the state of the Reds farm system, I highly suggest you bookmark DougDirt's (Doug Gray) website.

http://www.redsminorleagues.com/

Extremely informative and for the most part unbiased. There are a few exceptions. Doug does have "some" favorites. :O)

Thanks.
I didnt know he had one ! :thumbup:

Aces Wild
06-01-2008, 01:02 PM
If Magic Man can be effective (not holding my breath on that one) or we don't think any of the youngsters are ready, I will not be surprised if we see JA move from the bullpen and get a shot at the 5 spot.

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 01:09 PM
I assume it's because Chipper's first name is Larry.

LOL. I'd completely forgotten that was his first name. :O) Thanks guys. That was really bugging me.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-01-2008, 02:25 PM
A necessary move here. I don't get people saying it's a "bad" move. It's not exactly like we have a ton of options here for pitching. If we don't bring up Majewski who is there? Coffey? He was blown up too. Jon Adkins is the Bats closer and has a 1.59 ERA, the only other option I see. In 28 1/3 IP though he's given up 20 hits with only 14 strikeouts. It's not like there's a ton of options to go with.

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Well, we've got Herrera down there. He's been absolutely solid out of the pen this year at both 'nooga and Louisville. I also like the change of pace he'd bring to the Reds pen.

As for Majewski, I'd have to think this is his last shot. Having failed so miserably repeatedly, this HAS to be his final chance.

Handofdeath
06-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Well, we've got Herrera down there. He's been absolutely solid out of the pen this year at both 'nooga and Louisville. I also like the change of pace he'd bring to the Reds pen.

As for Majewski, I'd have to think this is his last shot. Having failed so miserably repeatedly, this HAS to be his final chance.

In all fairness, he came to the Reds hurt. Facts are he has been a successful reliever, just not with the Reds. 200 IP and a lifetime ERA of 4.22 are nothing to sneeze at.

_Sir_Charles_
06-01-2008, 04:44 PM
I realize that, but AFTER he was healthy last year he was horrible as well. Hopefully he's turned the corner after his putrid start in Louisville this year. I'm not going to hold my breath though. After his recent failures, I'd think he'd be on a rather short leash.

Red in Atl
06-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm pretty sure it's in reference to Larry " Chipper" Jones.

A few years back the Mets fans caught wind of Chipper's real name and so the chant ensued...

LAAARRREEE...LAAARRREEE...LAAARRREEE

As a Reds fan by birth, tortured by the Braves for the last 15 years, I absolutely loved it then and I love it now!

SarasotaFan
06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
He will only be there for a few days until Homer's rotation spot comes around

tommycash
06-02-2008, 12:15 AM
I think if Majewski does well, then Mike Lincoln's days might be numbered. Lincoln could be out as of Thursday.

EddieMilner
06-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Is it just me, or does it seem like the Sticky Threads on the Sun Deck stay stickied way too long?

StrikeIndicator
06-02-2008, 07:18 PM

rumor has it that when Gary got to the ballpark in Philly someone had slipped one of those high powered Rosetta Stone software programs in his 'locker"
"Learn Korean in 5 easy lessons

I hope he doesn't have to use it as he is sincerely a good guy.
Not the pitcher he once was and never will be again, gut a good guy none the less. I wish him well.

Kingspoint
06-02-2008, 08:32 PM
And Maj comes in and for the first time I can remember, his first performance is nothing short of remarkable getting a Double-play with the bases loaded that could have blown open the game.

Maj is one veteran that has come through already on this road trip.