PDA

View Full Version : I ain't buying the Jr. did his work story!

44Magnum
06-03-2008, 01:51 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...2_stone03.html

Pinella blew the whistle on Jr. long ago.

smoke6
06-03-2008, 02:01 PM
The link doesn't work for me, so I'm just speculating... KGJ has relied on his God given ability since day 1. He has admitted he never streched when he was younger etc., but he will still go down as one of the greatest ballplayers and one of the good guys in history. Junior never cheated and I am proud that he is a Red.

smoke6
06-03-2008, 02:05 PM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/larrystone/2004453862_stone03.html

captainmorgan07
06-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Are you serious? Why would Norm Charlton go on record and lie about jr. He has no reason to. The guy knows his body we've figured that out over the last few years. If he's not 100 percent he's usual not in the lineup. He's one of the greastest of all time who cares if he didn't exactly stretch when he was younger. The astroturf in the Kingdome tore apart his legs. Astroturf has done bad things to many people's legs just not Griffey's.

durl
06-03-2008, 03:22 PM
People will believe Griffey didn't work out because they want to believe that he didn't work out. It doesn't matter how many first-hand witnesses tell them otherwise.

bgwilly31
06-03-2008, 03:34 PM
:sleep::griffey::sleep:

Lockdwn11
06-03-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't know if he worked out or not but I do know he is one of the greatest players to ever play the game

durl
06-03-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't know if he worked out or not but I do know he is one of the greatest players to ever play the game

+1

This thread can now be closed. :)

Blue
06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
What? You people think a guy with 599 HRs had to work hard to get it? You guys are crazy. *

Griffey is another guy who takes grief from the press because he has given very limited access over the years.

* denotes sarcasm

levydl
06-03-2008, 05:46 PM
What? You people think a guy with 599 HRs had to work hard to get it? You guys are crazy. *

Griffey is another guy who takes grief from the press because he has given very limited access over the years.

* denotes sarcasm

I think the question isn't did Griff work hard, it's did he take care of his body well enough? I don't think there's any doubt he worked hard on his hitting. But he just said this past week, in a conversation about Bruce, that he never stretched when he was young and that he has to stretch now just to get out of bed.

Jimmie Foxx was the youngest player to hit 500 HRs before ARod overtook him last year. He was essentially done at 32 years old because he drank too much and didn't take care of himself. Mickey Mantle is seen as having wasted tremendous talent because of the same thing. Both of them were able to have HOF careers without taking care of themselves.

Griffey certainly didn't do any of that, but the question still remains: despite all of his tremendous accomplishments, IF he didn't properly take care of body by stretching and lifting and working out, could he have been even better than he's been? Could he have been the best of all time?

Jr's Boy
06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Don't forget playing on that Astroturf wasn't too easy on the body as well.Especially the way he played in the outfield.

durl
06-04-2008, 09:14 AM
The next subject: does Griffey brush his teeth the wrong way?

I bet he does. Sure, I don't see him brush his teeth...hold on...that must mean that he DOESN'T brush his teeth. Griffey doesn't brush his teeth!! Those shiny whites must be dentures!

Seriously, though. Griffey has had a long, productive career. He's in his 20th season of playing ball, 10 of which were played on astroturf. What percentage of baseball players last 20 years? About 1%. That's elite.