PDA

View Full Version : Once again, a former Reds reject kills us

LouisvilleCARDS
06-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Seriously. Just drill the guys or something, I am so sick of junk guys like Cantu and Cody Ross burning us.:angry::angry::thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

tommycash
06-07-2008, 10:45 PM
It never fails for a former Red to kick us in the groin.

Griffey012
06-07-2008, 10:46 PM
that loss hurts, hurts really bad

AccordinglyReds
06-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Ugh. Bad taste in my mouth from this loss. :(

HeatherC1212
06-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Tonight's loss sucks really bad and I can't understand how everyone keeps calling Cody Ross a former Red. Wasn't he only here for like two weeks?! :eek:

UGH. I'm grumpy now. :(

Cicero
06-07-2008, 10:49 PM
That one stung to be sure. Cordero just had a bad outing.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-07-2008, 10:50 PM
that loss hurts, hurts really bad

Screw it. We'll likely not be able to break .500 all year. Every f'n time we try to make a run to get over the hump, guess what? We blow a game. We blow 3 run leads in Los Angeles, we blow 18 inning games where we had leads in the bottom of the half of the inning to win, we blow 2 run leads in the ninth. We win these three games, we're 3 games over .500. Instead, we're three games under. Story of the freaking year. Makes me wanna puke. :bang:

captainmorgan07
06-07-2008, 10:50 PM
I always liked Cody Ross and thought we should have found some way to keep him. Another Krivsky move that sure didn't work. Kids making a real nice name for himself in south florida. He's hit some big homeruns for um.

BUTLER REDSFAN
06-07-2008, 10:51 PM
going from a 3-3 road trip back to 2-4..going from being 1 game under to back to 3 under..everytime we get within a game of 500 this team falls apart...from 8 games out back to 9 games out...this team is maddening

HeatherC1212
06-07-2008, 10:53 PM
Screw it. We'll likely not be able to break .500 all year. Every f'n time we try to make a run to get over the hump, guess what? We blow a game. We blow 3 run leads in Los Angeles, we blow 18 inning games where we had leads in the bottom of the half of the inning to win, we blow 2 run leads in the ninth. We win these three games, we're 3 games over .500. Instead, we're three games under. Story of the freaking year. Makes me wanna puke. :bang:

Um, overreact much?! :eek: Yeah the loss sucks but prior to tonight, the bullpen was the least of this team's worries on this particular road trip. I'm not ready to jettison the entire season because of one sucky night. It happens to all teams and I was just happy the guys kept battling all night long. They never gave up and that's good to see with this young team. Cordero will probably be out for blood in his next appearance (he was lights out in the two appearances right after his two other blown saves) so he'll be fine too.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-07-2008, 10:54 PM
Tonight's loss sucks really bad and I can't understand how everyone keeps calling Cody Ross a former Red. Wasn't he only here for like two weeks?! :eek:

UGH. I'm grumpy now. :(

Yeah, and he was actually doing decent here, would certainly be a better OF'er than Patterson. Oh and Cantu, as Chris Welsh mentioned, was released for a Rule 5 draft pick spot for a guy with like a 7 ERA in the minors who sucked so bad he didn't even play in SPRING TRAINING we sold back to the Braves for less than what we paid for him.

So essentially, we dropped a guy who would have been a better bench player than say, Valentine or Patterson, essentially so we could pay the Braves a few hundred thousand for no reason, and to take a loss today. Reds management: the gift that keeps on giving. :bang:

Big Hurt
06-07-2008, 11:28 PM
I think a problem that is lurking in the back of all this mess is our poor defense. Votto clearly is average to below average on defense. That was the information we were gien as to why he might not be with the big club as it broke camp. I can see why. That error he made tonight led to an unearned run. Also, it seems he gets a late jump on balls hit down the line. How often have other teams first basemen snagged these balls when we hit them? Votto does not seem to have any range yet. I'm not saying he won't get better, but he sure is tough to watch defensively. Just from purely a defensive outlook, how many of tonight's starters could start on another major league team? Defensively, I said...
Votto - lot's to learn - he's hurting us now;
Phillips - one of the best in the league defensively;
Hairston - no;
A. Phillips - AAA fodder;
Ross - no;
Dunn - could be the slowest outfielder in the Nat. League;
Bruce - wrong position;
Griffey - slowest outfielder in the Nat. League; and
Arroyo - mile high pop up drops for a single

All the pitching we can muster will not save this team as long as we have this slow, poor throwing defense. We scored plenty tonight only to see an error by Votto lead to a run, a pop up drop for a single, and balls hit down each infield line that we can't get a glove on. It's very frustrating.

BUTLER REDSFAN
06-07-2008, 11:36 PM
We will never know but Votto trying to stretch his single into a double could've been the play of the game...and everytime they show a close up of him he always seems to be looking into the sky with a "duh" look like his head is not in the game.

HeatherC1212
06-08-2008, 12:24 AM
Votto is the least of the Reds worries right now. His defense at first is NOT as horrible as people seem to think but he is a rookie and he's still learning some things. Apparently people have all ready forgotten all the times he's made crazy catches when Hairston or Encarnacion makes an offline throw to first and he's also made some other really good plays at first base. I think he'll be fine but he's still young and he's still learning. The Reds did show a lot of fight tonight and I hope they carry that part of this game into tomorrow's game.

ChatterRed
06-08-2008, 02:02 AM
We won ugly last night and almost won ugly tonight. We will sweep the series. Count on it.

DTCromer
06-08-2008, 02:54 AM
What? Our 14 million dollar man blew another save? Shocking! :rolleyes:

Big Hurt
06-08-2008, 10:00 AM
I have watched a lot of games this year. Votto has looked anything other than o.k. with the glove. He's dropped as many throws in the dirt as he has grabbed. He has very limited range right now and his baseball I.Q. is poor as to decision making in fielding and throwing. He's not our main worry right now but he is part of the main worry - poor defense. This team cannot win regularly with this poor defense.

Redus
06-08-2008, 08:00 PM
Hilarity really. Cantu hit wll here when brought over last summer. When someone mentioned we shoulda kept him as a bench player some overzealous stat freak started blurting out why he cant hit with all sorts of sabremetric crap. Well hes got a dozen dingers in Dolphin Stadium good for him. Sometimes baseball is just baseball. You guys who get all gacked up on all these different stats forget that sometime. The Reds get what they deserve alot also. Cody Ross was ok here as was Cantu...we let them go for basically nothing..this team is run by morons. Not that these two guys are all that but we do seem to let go of alot of players who urn out decent and get nothing for them.

George Foster
06-08-2008, 10:43 PM
Co co has given up 2 homers this year...both to Ross..I'd say walk him next season.

Hondo
06-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Hilarity really. Cantu hit wll here when brought over last summer. When someone mentioned we shoulda kept him as a bench player some overzealous stat freak started blurting out why he cant hit with all sorts of sabremetric crap. Well hes got a dozen dingers in Dolphin Stadium good for him. Sometimes baseball is just baseball. You guys who get all gacked up on all these different stats forget that sometime. The Reds get what they deserve alot also. Cody Ross was ok here as was Cantu...we let them go for basically nothing..this team is run by morons. Not that these two guys are all that but we do seem to let go of alot of players who urn out decent and get nothing for them.

But they were able to get Corey Patterson for 3 Million... Oh, Adny Phillips was there?

Yeah, I don't get it... Cantu would have been great to have... Someone mentioned in chat the other day that Cantu would have gotton too much in arbitration? Whatever... The guy wasn't going to break the bank as a part time player... furthermore... The team went out and signed guys like Andy Phillips and Jerry Hariston??? Hariston is playing ok, but signing Phillips after letting Cantu go didn't make any sense? although Phillips was probably cheaper, but not by much...

I don't understand this team sometimes... but thats what ya get when ya LIVE and DIE with Reds Baseball...