PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of this? (re:Dunn)

Homer Bailey
06-09-2008, 04:53 PM
What are the chances that the Reds deal Dunn at some point this season, and then he re-signs with the Reds after the season? It has been mentioned that he likes Cincinnati and would like to keep his family here, so would he appreciate a chance to play for a ring for a few months then return to Cincy? Of course, there is no way of figuring out what is going on inside his head, but does anyone see this as a possibility? Is there any precedent for this kind of action?

Hondo
06-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Bob C and Walt just need to sit down with this guys agent and get a 5 to 6 year deal done...

I have read in the ORG people suggest 3/45, but there isn't anyway that is possible... If the Reds can get Adam Dunn signed for 5 years/ 75 Million, they need to do it and go on about building the rest of the team... Hopefully they don't jerk this guy around and make hima big part of the future success of this team...

muethibp
06-09-2008, 05:24 PM
I doubt this would happen. First, I think the union would have an issue if there was any type of nod and wink agreement with the deal in place beforehand. Second, if the Reds trade Dunn and the acquiring team doesn't have an extension in place, they will not give the Reds a significant haul. If Dunn is going to be exposed to the market where you risk losing him, better to keep him and take the draft pick at the end of the year rather than get whatever some team gives you for the right to rent Dunn.

I still don't understand why we are even having any conversation that even considers trading the player. Someone on ORG posted the OPS numbers for the team (because of the way this site is set up, of course, I could not respond there). They are:

player home road
Phillips 827 790
Encarnacion 704 791
Griffey 747 786
Votto 931 759
Dunn 921 966

Can you imagine how bad this team would be without Dunn? He has the highest road OPS by 200 points. Imagine if he was actually used correctly and not stashed at 5th (thankfully the "7th" experiment seems to be over).

Homer Bailey
06-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I mentioned it only as a hypothetical. If the Reds are out of it, which appears likely, and they know that aren't going to resign him, they should at least get something out of him. However, I expect him to be in a Reds uniform next year.

BLEEDS
06-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, we will have to wait for Norris Hopper to come off the DL - since Corey Patterson can't play LF, we need to wait for Hopper or Farney to replace Dunn in LF. We all know they play better Defense, and if you combined 3 or 4 players, they can EASILY make up for the lost offense.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Hondo
06-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Well, we will have to wait for Norris Hopper to come off the DL - since Corey Patterson can't play LF, we need to wait for Hopper or Farney to replace Dunn in LF. We all know they play better Defense, and if you combined 3 or 4 players, they can EASILY make up for the lost offense.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Dude, what are you smoking? Combine 3 or 4 players to match what Dunn produces??????????? and one more ?

CarolinaRedleg
06-09-2008, 06:21 PM
What are the chances that the Reds deal Dunn at some point this season, and then he re-signs with the Reds after the season? It has been mentioned that he likes Cincinnati and would like to keep his family here, so would he appreciate a chance to play for a ring for a few months then return to Cincy? Of course, there is no way of figuring out what is going on inside his head, but does anyone see this as a possibility? Is there any precedent for this kind of action?

Rick Aguilera did this in the mid 90s. Twins traded him to Boston in his walk year, and he resigned with Minny after becoming a free agent.

Hondo
06-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Rick Aguilera did this in the mid 90s. Twins traded him to Boston in his walk year, and he resigned with Minny after becoming a free agent.

He was shot shortly afterward... And his pension was nullified by the MLBPA...

I can't back any of that up.

Homer Bailey
06-09-2008, 06:33 PM
I think Ricky Henderson did it when he left Oakland for Toronto then came back to Oakland.

muethibp
06-09-2008, 06:41 PM
Dude, what are you smoking? Combine 3 or 4 players to match what Dunn produces??????????? and one more ?

He's kidding. He loves Dunn.

Hondo
06-09-2008, 07:06 PM
He's kidding. He loves Dunn.

Oh ok, I apologize BLEEDS...

It is hard to figure out Sarcasm while Reading Posts...

I LOVE Adam Dunn too on this team!

SoTxRedsFan
06-09-2008, 07:42 PM
Man, I'd hate to to see The Big Donkey leave. For all of his warts, he deserves to be apart of the turnaround the franchise is in the middle of. Plus he is one of the best sluggers in the league. That never hurts.

Blue
06-09-2008, 08:46 PM
0%

44Magnum
06-10-2008, 09:36 AM
Dunn has to go. The Reds will never win with him. His lazy attitude permeates the entire locker room. He is the last person Bruce needs to be around!

Nasty_Boy
06-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Dunn has to go. The Reds will never win with him. His lazy attitude permeates the entire locker room. He is the last person Bruce needs to be around!

That is bull crap and you know it! Lazy attitude? Are you serious?! A guy that plays 160 games every year, produces at a high level, and his teammates love him... That's a bad influence? I have never seen Dunn do 1 thing that I would consider lazy. No, he isn't fast/quick but that does not make him lazy.

Ghosts of 1990
06-10-2008, 12:21 PM

Hate to tell you this but you're wrong. Very wrong. The guy is an absolute gamer. Regardless of what's going on in his personal life or anything else he goes out and for 3+ hours every night he gives you all he's got. For 162 games a year if needed.

Griffey would be the answer to your riddle.

Big Hurt
06-10-2008, 04:21 PM
As Doc asked sometime ago on the radio, the issue is can the Reds afford Adam for what he does? IMO they cannot. I think the drafting of Alonso means a future of Alonso at First and Votto in left field. I suspect Adam does not want to stay here as he is from Texas and Texans like to be home. In addition, he wants to hit the free market and hit it big. This will not be in Cincy. Finally, most players want to win a ring. It will be a few years before we are there. I sense that Adam has a short shelf life with his size and weaknesses. I see his DHing inside the next two years and out of baseball in five. Just a hunch. How long does the typical career last?