PDA

View Full Version : Can Jr Possibly Get to 700?

TheBigLebowski
06-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Is there any way? Hes 38 now and considerably slower than he was in his prime years.

Still, he currently plays in one of the true hitters parks in baseball. He still seems to have the stroke.

It would take 33.34 HR's over the next 3 years (He would be 41). As much as I would love it, I just don't think he's got enough left in the tank.

redhawk61
06-10-2008, 12:09 AM
Is there any way? Hes 38 now and considerably slower than he was in his prime years.

Still, he currently plays in one of the true hitters parks in baseball. He still seems to have the stroke.

It would take 33.34 HR's over the next 3 years (He would be 41). As much as I would love it, I just don't think he's got enough left in the tank.

nope, he'll finish around 660, and thats being generous. The HR's are just coming at to slow of a pace, he is at something like to be on pace for 18-22 HR's this year(might be slightly off)

TheBigLebowski
06-10-2008, 12:10 AM
I agree...that seems about right.

mroby85
06-10-2008, 12:23 AM
I think it would be tough, if he decides to go the julio franco route he may have a shot though, lol.

Homer Bailey
06-10-2008, 12:26 AM
He's not on what Barry Bonds was/is on. This is the point where Bonds REALLY started hitting home runs. It's natural for Jr.'s numbers to be on a decline, and it's because he got to 600 the right way.

bluesanta
06-10-2008, 12:49 AM
He's not on what Barry Bonds was/is on. This is the point where Bonds REALLY started hitting home runs. It's natural for Jr.'s numbers to be on a decline, and it's because he got to 600 the right way.

Very good point. Jr. getting there the right way earns me a lot more respect for him. Thank you for doing 600 the honest way Jr. You are truly a great player, and a great role model in the game of baseball.

Scott Botkins
06-10-2008, 01:03 AM
I doubt it and a lot fans will hold that accountable against him because of watching other players (Bonds, Sosa) perform at high levels when they turned 38 because of steroids of course. Griffey's body will continue to break down over the next 1-3 years naturally and that says something about the guy. He is and always be good for baseball. I'll never forget those endless summer nights during the 90's playing whiffle ball and acting out his swing like I was the kid himself.

Krawhitham
06-10-2008, 01:58 AM
maybe, lets see how well he hits them over the next month, maybe having 600 over with he will hit them at a faster pace

steig
06-10-2008, 08:15 AM
I think it depends how much his knee has really been limiting him this season. If he can get it his knee healthy, and if he goes to the American league after this season then maybe there is a chance of 700. But in my mind it depends on how much his knee has been hampering him this season. I don't really think a player would suddenly drop from 35 HRs a year down to 20 just due to old age.

nineworldseries
06-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Absolutely not. He's just slowing down way too much. I'd take the under on 650 in a heartbeat.

PedroBourbon
06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
If he stays in the NL, I would say no. His total homer numbers are on the decline and he is of coarse somewhat injury prone as we all know. IF he were to DH in the AL, he might have a shot, a long one. He could concentrate on his offense without the worry or fatigue of playing the outfield daily. Regardless, congrats on #600 and a great career. :beerme:

UC_Ken
06-10-2008, 02:34 PM
During his last four seasons he's hit 20, 35, 27, and 30. In those years he's only played around 120 games per season. If he goes to the AL to DH and perhaps part time LF he may increase his games played which could offset some decreased production. I don't think it's unreasonable that if he plays 4 seasons he could hit 25 per year and end up on 700. I would bet against it but it is not unreasonable.

Big Hurt
06-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Absolutely not. He's just slowing down way too much. I'd take the under on 650 in a heartbeat.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. The tank is nearing empty.