PDA

View Full Version : Janish batting 2nd, has got to stop!

fewfirstchoice
06-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Not trying to come down on the youngster but he doesnt need to be hitting second.Hes our only option(outside of B.Phillips)at SS right now so I understand having to play the kid,but why bat him 2nd.I say move Votto or EE (Votto more than likely) up in the order and Janish needs to be moved down to 8th while he plays.There is no justice(for the kid or team) in batting the kid 2nd.This would be my order while Janish has to play.

Bruce - Hes not a leadoff hitter but putting him there now gives him more at bats a game.
Votto
JR - hes no 3 hole hitter now but Bakers not moving him.
Phillips - needs to be hitting second or 5th in the order
Dunn - neds to hit 4th as long as he is with the Reds reguardless
EE - has to be hitting somewhere in the top 5
Ross or Bako - have to have a C
Janish - also need a SS

Homer Bailey
06-13-2008, 03:47 PM
It's Dusty's dire need to break up the dreaded lefties. God forbid a right handed starter have to face 3 lefties in a row 3 or more times. It's much better to put guarenteed outs in between the lefties so a lefty reliever can't come in and get them all out right? Ugh, Dusty Baker.

Griffey012
06-13-2008, 03:52 PM
what if for 1 game we make a rhp face Bruce, Grif, Dunn, Votto, in order

Homer Bailey
06-13-2008, 03:57 PM
what if for 1 game we make a rhp face Bruce, Grif, Dunn, Votto, in order

[SARCASM]Why would we make it tough on the starter? It's all about the late inning reliever don't you know that? It's a much better strategy to let the starter coast through the game and get the automatic outs. C'mon Griff, that's why I put you in the three hole! [SARCASM]

BUTLER REDSFAN
06-13-2008, 04:02 PM
What is it with Dusty's incessant fascination with having the center fielder-shortstop batting 1-2 thing?!?!?

captainmorgan07
06-13-2008, 04:13 PM
I totally agree right there. Janish looks lost at the plate sometimes.

Stephenk29
06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
This is easily my biggest frustration with the Reds right now. Common sense in any baseball world tells you there is no way Janish bats second.:confused:

Blue
06-13-2008, 06:14 PM
What is it with Dusty's incessant fascination with having the center fielder-shortstop batting 1-2 thing?!?!?

He's an idiot! :bang::help:

Kingspoint
06-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Dusty doesn't understand the concept of "leadoff hitters".

God forbid he correlates On-Base-Percentage with scoring runs, while putting the guys who get on base the most up to bat in front of the guys that hit the most homeruns.

PTI (pti)
06-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Our "leadoff hitter" last night took 4 trips to the plate, and was disposed of in all 4 in a grand total of 6 pitches.

I swear to god, I absolutely want to slit my wrists every time I see Toothpick Jr. in the lineup. Just an absolute gd travesty.

TheBigLebowski
06-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Janish is completely overmatched by MLB pitching. He's got a good glove, although he's made a few bad errors since he's been up here. His MLB projection is nothing more than a bench SS. He's 25 years old now, I believe. Not too much time to figger things out at the plate. His 4 AB's tonight were the worst I've seen in a while.

AFA Dusty's lineup tonight..maybe he was thinking he could do the Jay Bell thing with Janish. Problem is, The BRUCE is not a protypical leadoff hitter (I do not like him there at ALL) and I don't think Janish would have made any contact tonight even if he was trying to bunt. It was that bad.

Kingspoint
06-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Our "leadoff hitter" last night took 4 trips to the plate, and was disposed of in all 4 in a grand total of 6 pitches.

I swear to god, I absolutely want to slit my wrists every time I see Toothpick Jr. in the lineup. Just an absolute gd travesty.

Janish definitely more pitches than that tonight as it takes at least 12 pitches to strike out 4 times in 4 at-bats.

SarasotaFan
06-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Not trying to come down on the youngster but he doesnt need to be hitting second.Hes our only option(outside of B.Phillips)at SS right now so I understand having to play the kid,but why bat him 2nd.I say move Votto or EE (Votto more than likely) up in the order and Janish needs to be moved down to 8th while he plays.There is no justice(for the kid or team) in batting the kid 2nd.This would be my order while Janish has to play.

Bruce - Hes not a leadoff hitter but putting him there now gives him more at bats a game.
Votto
JR - hes no 3 hole hitter now but Bakers not moving him.
Phillips - needs to be hitting second or 5th in the order
Dunn - neds to hit 4th as long as he is with the Reds reguardless
EE - has to be hitting somewhere in the top 5
Ross or Bako - have to have a C
Janish - also need a SS
you don't put bruce at the leadoff spot - you put guys in front of him that are supposed to get on base so that he can get RBI's - same with Jr. / Dunn / Phillips (sometimes) / maybe Votto - those guys make up the heart of your line up - 3 - 6

you put janish at the 2 hole because you can't stick him anywhere else - unless you want him in the 7 slot. the reason for the 2 hole instead of the 8 hole is that he would get eaten up in the NL since the pitcher is behind him. a steady diet of off-speed to get him to chase and strikeout (so the pitcher leads off the inning) or walks him if he's patient (so the pitcher comes to the plate with RISP). a young kid like that is not going to be accustomed to the 8 hole. catcher's usually are slotted there during their upbringing in AA / AAA so they are more "mentally" ready for the 8 hole.

CWRed
06-14-2008, 01:58 PM

It's because he is not smart.

CarolinaRedleg
06-14-2008, 02:34 PM
From CTR:

And yes, closet Cub fans, he's heard the complaints about Janish batting second.

"A guy got on me about him batting second, I can’t have too many outs at the bottom either and give them an easy inning," Baker said. "I figured, with Junior behind him, they’ll give him something to hit or I can hit-and-run or bunt a guy over."

Blue
06-14-2008, 02:42 PM
What an idiot. "Well, I don't want the guys who make the most outs to all get the fewest at-bats, so I'll mix it up so I can play for 1 run in the first inning of a game."

The Reds cannot reach their potential, whatever it is, with this clown as manager.

dougflynn23
06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
What is it with Dusty's incessant fascination with having the center fielder-shortstop batting 1-2 thing?!?!? :) Dusty batted Ronny Cedeno and Neifi Perez second in Chicago, so why would you expect a "successful, winning manager" to change his beliefs?

CarolinaRedleg
06-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Today it's Bruce leading off and playing CF, followed by Jolbert Cabrera playing -- surprise, surprise -- SS.

Hondo
06-15-2008, 05:01 PM
He should try hitting Edwin second since Edwin is hitting Hott...

I am not an Edwin fan, just would like to see him poop or get off the pot...

Blue
06-15-2008, 05:11 PM
He should try hitting Edwin second since Edwin is hitting Hott...

I am not an Edwin fan, just would like to see him poop or get off the pot...

That's just silly. Edwin hasn't played shortstop since the minor leagues. ;)

SarasotaFan
06-15-2008, 07:11 PM
i guess some of you guys don't understand the concept...

when you stick someone who's not the greatest hitter in front of a future HOF player or someone who hits 40+ homeruns a year, you force the pitcher to throw that hitter pitches to hit so he can get himself out (hopefully).

it's basically the opposite of the 8-hole...

CWRed
06-16-2008, 06:17 PM
From CTR:

This should be all anyone has to ever hear about Dusty's logic to realize he has no clue what he is doing.

Jack Burton
06-17-2008, 11:12 AM
It's pure lunacy as to why Dusty chump still has a job? Not to be rude, but I don't think he's all together upstairs.

Shawn_RedsFan
06-21-2008, 01:10 PM
YAY, Janish is batting in the 2 hole, and patterson is in the game also