PDA

View Full Version : Homer Down, Norris Up

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, not "up," really, but activated from the DL.

Homer was optioned to AAA. Speculation is running rampant that Daryl Thompson will be called up to start Friday in NY.

Hondo
06-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Well Danggit, I wish Homer had been given atleast 10-12 Starts before the team did this... Bringing up Thompson doesn't make any sense?

Why bring the guy up here to be Pitching for his life every night... Until this team starts scoring runs... It would probably be damaging to throw him into this Fire...

TheBigLebowski
06-18-2008, 06:31 PM
Well Danggit, I wish Homer had been given atleast 10-12 Starts before the team did this... Bringing up Thompson doesn't make any sense?

Why bring the guy up here to be Pitching for his life every night... Until this team starts scoring runs... It would probably be damaging to throw him into this Fire...

I'm not crazy about bringing Thompson up yet either but, if we were to give Bailey 10-12 outings to "figure it out" or what have you, considering the way he threw the ball last time out, we may have ruined him once and for all. Sending him down is the right move. Let's find out if his loss of velocity is mechanics or injury. We see him again in a few months.

SarasotaFan
06-18-2008, 08:51 PM

10-12 starts ? waaay too many. 3 was plenty. he couldn't pull his stuff together after that, ship him out. he didn't deserve the call-up in the first place.

thompson will probably be more confident out there and know how to pitch better than bailey. i'd rather see him up there. i've heard comparisons to a bucholz, just not as hard.

redsfanmia
06-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Its not like the Reds are competing for anything other than last place so why not leave Homer up and try to figure it out.

SarasotaFan
06-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Its not like the Reds are competing for anything other than last place so why not leave Homer up and try to figure it out.
let him figure it out in AAA first.

captainmorgan07
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM

You could ruin him for his whole career if you continue to leave him up to get his brains beat in. Let him go to AAA with Ted Power(who should be the pitching coach for the big club) and let those two figure it out. NO need to bring up Thompson either let him polish some more at AAA. Your paying Josh Fogg as your 5th starter use him in that way.

Hondo
06-18-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, my point was that Homer Bailey may have a future here... Bringing up Thompson, who could have a good future here, while the team is not hitting might hurt him all together... I don't want to see Fogg or Belisle starting... Atleast with Homer, he is young and learning on the Job...

Thompson just doesn't need to come up and not get run support... What would that do to his confidence if he come sup here and is like 0-3, too...

Atleast Homer has been up here last year...

Eric Davis
06-18-2008, 10:46 PM
The problem with Homer is that he's completely lost his velocity. He lacked control of it to begin with but when you're dealing in the mid 90's not many hitters will turn on the strikes you do throw. At this point for whatever reason he's averaging down in the low 90's and when he puts that over the plate he is basically teeing it up. Good pitchers can get away with that because they have secondary pitches to keep hitters off balance. Homer has never had anything but a fastball and at the moment he no longer has that. If they keep sending him out there right now we're going to keep seeing the same result.

SarasotaFan
06-18-2008, 11:28 PM
The problem with Homer is that he's completely lost his velocity. He lacked control of it to begin with but when you're dealing in the mid 90's not many hitters will turn on the strikes you do throw. At this point for whatever reason he's averaging down in the low 90's and when he puts that over the plate he is basically teeing it up. Good pitchers can get away with that because they have secondary pitches to keep hitters off balance. Homer has never had anything but a fastball and at the moment he no longer has that. If they keep sending him out there right now we're going to keep seeing the same result.
well said. now if the rest of RZ will just see that too...

durl
06-18-2008, 11:42 PM

Sounds exactly what Krivsky was saying about Homer when everyone was begging for him to be brought up to be the Reds' ace.

JayBruce4HOF
06-18-2008, 11:52 PM
I'm still amazed that Jocketty that it was a good idea to bring him up in the first place. His velocity is nowhere close to where it needs to be and his AAA results speak for themselves. If you struggle against AAA, it doesn't take a Rhodes Scholar to project what will happen versus MLB hitters.

The only way I'm okay with bringing him up at all was if he was acting like a real brat down in AAA and they KNEW he was going to get whacked around and brought him up for the express reason of using the experience as a wake-up call.

standerson
06-19-2008, 03:50 AM
Maybe Bailey should be dropped to AA. AAA is where you fine tune your pitches in preperation for the Major Leagues.

It appears he needs more time to develope his pitches, not fine tune them.

Griffey012
06-19-2008, 08:56 AM
I have a feeling Norris Hopper is going to spell the end of CPat. Nopper is going to be a .330 singles machine which we so badly need at the top. Maybe he can awake this sleeping giant of an offense.

bounty37h
06-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Isnt that doing the same thing to Homer then to keep him up here that long (10-12 games)-he shouldnt have been brought up anyway-he was not in any shape or form ready for it, and now has even more mental concerns to deal with to be hammered a few times and sent back down.

PTI (pti)
06-19-2008, 01:38 PM
I have a feeling Norris Hopper is going to spell the end of CPat. Nopper is going to be a .330 singles machine which we so badly need at the top. Maybe he can awake this sleeping giant of an offense.

That is, *IF* our toothpick-chomping idiot manager is smart enough to let him see the field. I clearly understand that Norris Hopper isn't exactly the 2nd coming of Ty Cobb, but he'll be a great addition to the club. I'll take his $400k/year, slap-hitting, zero power-hitting .330 at the top of the lineup all day.

Kingspoint
06-30-2008, 03:05 PM
It looks like Bailey needs to stay in AAA the rest of the year. It can't hurt.