PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Outfield

Brutus
06-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Anyone thought much about what to expect of Cincinnati's outfield next season? It is probably a foregone conclusion that Ken Griffey Jr. won't be roaming the right field grass next year. And it's equally as likely that Adam Dunn's time in left appears to be dwindling. So that said, who will join Jay Bruce?

Here is a list of free agent outfielders (it's not very pretty):

Source: Cot's Baseball Contracts

RF Bobby Abreu, NYY
LF Moises Alou, NYM
LF Rocco Baldelli, TB
OF Emil Brown, OAK
LF Pat Burrell, PHI
OF Endy Chavez, NYM
OF Juan Encarnacion, STL
LF Cliff Floyd, TB
OF Raun Ibanez, SEA
OF Jacque Jones, FLA
OF Mark Kotsay, ATL
OF Kevin Mench, TOR
OF Jason Michaels, PIT
LF Craig Monroe, MIN
OF Jay Payton, BAL
LF Scott Podsednik, COL
OF Juan Rivera, LAA
OF Rondell White, MIN

Additional Names that could be traded or options not picked up (though the last four seem unlikely to me):

LF Garrett Anderson, LAA
LF Carl Crawford, TB
OF Brian Giles, SD
RF Vladimir Guerrero, LAA
LF Manny Ramirez, BOS

The name the jumps out at me is Mark Kotsay. He's a very good defensive player in center and he's expendable for the Braves with Brandon Jones and (soon to be) Jordan Schafer arriving. My hunch is that Kotsay will not be re-signed. The Reds could put him in center and shift Bruce to RF.

The big name that will likely be on the market is Pat Burrell. I'm not sure if the Reds would go that route, especially if Burrell becomes involved in a bidding war. Being the premier OF on the market in the offseason, Burrell, coupled with his career-like season, might command $15 mil per. Frankly, the only names that might tempt me on that list are Baldelli if he gets healthy or fliers on either Endy Chavez or (maybe) Kevin Mench.

So with that said, the Reds will either need to pull off a trade of an outfielder that might not be in this group or find someone in-house. Jerry Hairston could be a possibility to play left field if he continues his production, though that seems unlikely to me. Corey Patterson probably won't be brought back. I'm assuming Ryan Freel will be traded, but if not, he certainly would be likely to win a spot. The only other guys on the 40-man roster are Norris Hopper and Chris Dickerson.

Any other ideas?

Hondo
06-26-2008, 02:27 PM
With the lack of Free Agent options... This team needs to keep Adam Dunn... Move Jay Bruce to Right, and find a Right Handed Centerfielder...

thorn
06-26-2008, 02:38 PM
Votto in LF, Bruce in RF, Freel/Hopper/Dickerson/Cumberland or other minor leaguer will hold down CF. I would like to see the Reds go after Rivera for a 1 year deal, if possible.

RedsFanInBama
06-26-2008, 02:44 PM
I'd like to think that we might can pick up a center fielder sometime during this season when we trade Griffey and/or Dunn. If we can't, none of those free agents look all that good to me. I mean we really need someone who can play center and lead off. If we send Griffey to the Rays, I think Desmond Jennings would be a nice guy to get in return. Of course he probably isn't going to be ready until late 2009 or even 2010.

If we move Dunn, is Votto going to left field? I know that has been speculated. I could see a scenario with Votto in left, Encarnacion at third, and Keppinger at first and Gonzalez at short at some point. Don't we have Gonzo through next season? He's making too much money to sit on the bench.

Lots of stuff to think about, but I do think that if we can't get something good back for Dunn, we need to re-sign him. For as frustrating as he is, the man produces runs.

OldRed1966
06-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Votto in LF, Bruce in RF, Freel/Hopper/Dickerson/Cumberland or other minor leaguer will hold down CF. I would like to see the Reds go after Rivera for a 1 year deal, if possible.

Why just a one year deal?

gobucks106
06-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Any thoughts on some sort of trade for Matt Kemp with the Dodgers? What would it take to get him? I think he has an upside. He couls play left or center with Bruce in right.

Brutus
06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
With the lack of Free Agent options... This team needs to keep Adam Dunn... Move Jay Bruce to Right, and find a Right Handed Centerfielder...

Personally I would keep Freel, move Bruce to right and sign Kotsay. But if they trade Freel, the idea of putting Votto in left isn't a bad option, either.

I imagine it would be easier to find a suitable first baseman for next year than a suitable outfielder, given that bleak free agent situation.

Brutus
06-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Any thoughts on some sort of trade for Matt Kemp with the Dodgers? What would it take to get him? I think he has an upside. He couls play left or center with Bruce in right.

I forgot about that possibility. That would be ideal.

thorn
06-26-2008, 02:55 PM
I think by 2010 the team will be set in the OF, or really close to it, I'm not sure he wants to be a backup on a young team, plus I think he would have trade value if playing regularly next year.

44Magnum
06-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Votto in LF
Crawford in CF
Bruce in RF

Grande Donkey
06-26-2008, 03:19 PM
LF- Pat Burrell
CF- Cumberland
RF- Bruce

thorn
06-26-2008, 03:34 PM
I'd like to think that we might can pick up a center fielder sometime during this season when we trade Griffey and/or Dunn. If we can't, none of those free agents look all that good to me. I mean we really need someone who can play center and lead off. If we send Griffey to the Rays, I think Desmond Jennings would be a nice guy to get in return. Of course he probably isn't going to be ready until late 2009 or even 2010.

If we move Dunn, is Votto going to left field? I know that has been speculated. I could see a scenario with Votto in left, Encarnacion at third, and Keppinger at first and Gonzalez at short at some point. Don't we have Gonzo through next season? He's making too much money to sit on the bench.

IMO thats how we will start next year, 1B Keppinger, 2B Phillips, SS Gonzalea, 3B EdE, LF Votto. This will give us time to tell if Frazier, Valaika and Alonso will be ready, if so Keppinger, EdE and Gonzalez will be easily moved completing the rebuilding process. I think CF can be handled by Hopper/Freel/Dickerson till we determine if Cumberland, Stubs, Strait can handle the position full time, if not, that's what we can focus on trying to trade for, plus catching, but I'm not thrilled with any FA catcher at this point.

RedsFanInBama
06-26-2008, 03:38 PM
thorn,

I know this is going a tad off-topic, but do you have a list of FA catchers?

My main concern at the position is good defense and calling a game, especially with the young pitchers who still need guidance (Cueto and Thompson particularly - Volquez to some extent).

Brutus
06-26-2008, 03:47 PM
thorn,

I know this is going a tad off-topic, but do you have a list of FA catchers?

My main concern at the position is good defense and calling a game, especially with the young pitchers who still need guidance (Cueto and Thompson particularly - Volquez to some extent).

Other than pricey Jason Varitek or Ivan Rodriguez, who may not be retained by Boston or Detroit, the pickings are extremely slim at catcher. Johnny Estrada and Rod Barajas are about it (as well as Javier Valentin).

thorn
06-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Here is what they have posted in the Old Red Guard.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69657

NeilHamburger
06-26-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't know why Milton Bradley isn't listed on any of these, he signed a 1 year deal in Dec. of 2007 with Texas, and once again he's the guy I think Cincy should go after.