PDA

View Full Version : Dunn Trade Rumor

Stephenk29
06-27-2008, 03:41 PM
Didn't see this anywhere else.

Via MLBtraderumors

An anonymous general manager tossed out this "trade concept": Adam Dunn to the Dodgers for Juan Pierre, Chin-lung Hu, and cash. Thoughts?

---

No thank you.

Grande Donkey
06-27-2008, 03:42 PM
I'd rather have the draft picks.

CarolinaRedleg
06-27-2008, 03:44 PM
Pass

steig
06-27-2008, 04:05 PM

Agreed

Ghosts of 1990
06-27-2008, 04:10 PM
not a chance it happens

ChatterRed
06-27-2008, 04:13 PM

x3

Ahhhorsepoo
06-27-2008, 04:16 PM
I'd rather have juan pierre... a legit lead off hitter and a good fielder.. and far more than I would expect us to get for dunn.. and far cheaper than dunn.. but the draft picks would be fine as well..

danken12
06-27-2008, 04:22 PM
I'd rather have juan pierre... a legit lead off hitter and a good fielder.. and far more than I would expect us to get for dunn.. and far cheaper than dunn.. but the draft picks would be fine as well..

Pierre is neither of those things. Terrible OBP and a terrible arm refute both of those things. He's also not really much cheaper.

fewfirstchoice
06-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Dunn, Gonzo, and Affeltd

for

Pierre, Hu, and Broxton or Biemeil(sp)

06-27-2008, 04:49 PM
Pierre is neither of those things. Terrible OBP and a terrible arm refute both of those things. He's also not really much cheaper.

.330 is not terrible OPS, is just isn't that great for a leadoff hitter. But his steals add to his value as a leadoff hitter. With his steal ratio, he produces as many runs as a .340 OBP guy with no steals. Still not very good, but around average for the league. And much better than Patterson.
But you are very correct about his arm, it is terrible. He does have decent range as a centerfielder though, just not as much as he used to.

Pierre is actually a very valuable player, always has been, it's just that the Dodgers gave him a ridiculously long and expensive contract for his declining years. The cash, according to Rosenthal would knock his salary down to $6M a year until 2011. I think still too expensive, but much more reasonable.

Here is why the deal is tempting. We all have to deal with the fact that Dusty is going to get a speedy centerfielder to leadoff. No way to avoid that. There really are very few of them out there, and Pierre is one of the better ones. The only one that I would really rather have is Winn from SF. Hu is a solid SS prospect, and is better than Janish defensively, and about he same offensively.

So since Dunn is a goner, I think an everyday CF to bat leadoff and make Dusty happy plus a future starting SS is a better return for Dunn than the two draft picks.

I still wouldn't do the deal if I were Jocketty, but it is not as bad as it sounds.

Jack Burton
06-27-2008, 04:52 PM
Dunn, Gonzo, and Affeltd

for

Pierre, Hu, and Broxton or Biemeil(sp)

Don't think they'd part with Broxton, dude's a beast. Not sure about Pierre, he seems to be a lot like Patterson, only with a worse arm. I think he does have a better approach at the the plate though.

DannyB
06-27-2008, 04:58 PM
I'd just keep Dunn.

Hondo
06-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Getting Hu doesn't make any sense... And adding Juan Pierre makes even less sense... If you are going to Trade Adam Dunn (which you all should know I don't want him gone), they should get like Kemp and Billingsly...

You guys are going to call me nuts... But how many Power Hitters with a .400 OBP are going to be available at the Deadline... None...

ESPN said Jason Bay and Raul Ibanez are likely to be moved, and that not too many other teams are Looking to Trade Hitters... So if the Dodgers want Dunn, get some good players...

Not Pierre, who is too expensive and isn't a long term or cheaper solution...

TheBigLebowski
06-27-2008, 05:04 PM
Awful, awful trade that would haunt this organization for years.

ED44
06-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Any trade with the Dodgers needs to involve Matt Kemp coming to Cincy...throwing in a little more to get Billingsly back too would be ideal!

Jr's Boy
06-27-2008, 06:22 PM
Don't think they'd part with Broxton, dude's a beast. Not sure about Pierre, he seems to be a lot like Patterson, only with a worse arm. I think he does have a better approach at the the plate though.

Yeah but I remember when Gagne was a ''beast''too.So anything's possible with the Dodgers.

texasdave
06-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Not in a million years. Unfortunately, Pierre strikes me as Dustys' type of ballplayer. If that is the best offer out there then AD stays a Red no matter how far this season sinks.

kpresidente
06-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I don't get it.

How is a few months of Adam Dunn in a wash of a season worth more than Juan Pierre for 2 years?

Pierre isn't a bad hitter. He has a .350 career OBP. What's so bad about that? Couple it with 60 steals / season and 10 triples? That's a pretty good leadoff hitter, all things considered.

He hits RH and LH equally well. He covers a ton of ground in CF.

What answers do we have in CF? Hairston? He's a mirage. Freel and Hopper? No defense and they only hit LHers. Stubbs!?! We have nothing now and nothing on the horizon.

I'd do that in a heartbeat.

Redsnake
06-27-2008, 09:51 PM
Mark me down for draft picks too.

cincy14
06-27-2008, 10:02 PM
I would have a hard time stomaching seeing Dunn in Dodger Blue...

LouisvilleCARDS
06-27-2008, 10:12 PM
I think moves need to be made, but this trade is pretty dumb. If Jocketty got asked, he should give the Matrix line:

"So, Mr Jocketty, Pierre for Dunn?"

"How about this, I give you the finger"

::Flips the bird::

"And you give me my phone call"

SoTxRedsFan
06-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Getting Hu doesn't make any sense... And adding Juan Pierre makes even less sense... If you are going to Trade Adam Dunn (which you all should know I don't want him gone), they should get like Kemp and Billingsly...

You guys are going to call me nuts... But how many Power Hitters with a .400 OBP are going to be available at the Deadline... None...

ESPN said Jason Bay and Raul Ibanez are likely to be moved, and that not too many other teams are Looking to Trade Hitters... So if the Dodgers want Dunn, get some good players...

Not Pierre, who is too expensive and isn't a long term or cheaper solution...

Kemp AND Billinglsy??? Are we throwing in Frazier, Stubbs, and Thompson?

REDblooded
06-28-2008, 02:06 PM
Awful, awful trade that would haunt this organization for years.

just a wee bit dramatic don't you think?

Aces Wild
06-29-2008, 01:46 AM
No way I am making that trade. Why do we want to strap ourselves with more wasted resources (even at 6 million) for the next 3 years?? Let Dunn walk and take the picks.......and spend that 13 million on a player/players that can actually help the team. On the other side of this debate is the guys who overvalue Dunn's worth. Noway in hell that the Dodgers give us Kemp for Dunn..........much less Kemp and Billingsly. Oh and I am not a Dunn basher either, but there are very few players in all of baseball who are going to get that kind of return, and Dunn isn't one of him. I personally would love to resign him, but I'm thinking he's going to want to much money and too many years.....thus my proposal to let him walk, take the picks, and use the 13 million to bring in new players who can help turn this team around.

Aces Wild
06-29-2008, 01:52 AM
just a wee bit dramatic don't you think?

It would set us back a few years. We are a team with limited resources, and this trade would basically spend half the money we would free up by letting Dunn go on Pierre?? I'd say that's a pretty big mistake considering he'd be another liability in the field, and his OBP isn't top of the order material (and that's where we all know Dusty would bat him). I'd rather save the money for FA or off season trades.

RedsFanInBama
06-29-2008, 01:54 AM
Dunn either has to be traded or resigned. I just can't imagine seeing that much production walking and not getting anything for it (yeah, the draft picks, but still). I'd love to get Kemp for him. Hopefully the Dodgers will be willing to part with him. Even if we can't get Kemp, I think we would be able to do much better than Juan Pierre and that shortstop.

Aces Wild
06-29-2008, 02:03 AM
I would be shocked if the Dodgers did a straight up Kemp for Dunn deal. The days of teams giving up good young talent for rent a players is over. Even the BoSox and Yankees refused to do it this off-season in the Santana sweepstakes.........and they both new they could extend Santana when he got there. It just isn't good business to give up cheap young players who can produce for rent a players, and teams are begining to realize it. If indeed Dunn is traded I have a feeling everybody here is going to be disappointed with the return we get. It's not his fault, but just the game is changing, and cheap productive players are deemed more valuable than they used to be.

cincy14
06-29-2008, 03:40 AM
If Dunn goes it will be for prospects...