PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be funny if.......

ChatterRed
06-29-2008, 07:35 PM
.....somehow the organization was able to find some trade partners for Dunn and Griffey...............and in the second half, this team turned it around and made it interesting?

Fon Duc Tow
06-29-2008, 07:42 PM
Unloading the two guys, getting some youth, and then going on a run, is more plausible then thinking that the current lineup will do anything similar.

I like it.

Blue
06-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Considering that this team won't so much as sniff a wild card for the next two years, it would certainly be improbable. I don't know if I'd call it funny.

Eric Davis
06-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Making a run at the playoffs is rather unlikely but this could certainly turn the corner going into next year.

The last time the Reds made a strong playoff push was 99 and they did it primarily with youth. Young position players such as Sean Casey, Pokey Reese, Aaron Boone, Mike Cameron, and Dmitri Young led the charge. A core of Joey Votto, BP, Edwin, Keppinger, and Jay Bruce certainly isn't any worse than that group was. If they can move some vets for some outfield help this could suddenly be a very strong lineup.

What sets this team apart from that one is the amount of young talent the Reds currently have in the pitching staff. These guys will only get better.

With the amount of strong young talent the Reds have now they could be a strong team as early as next year. Unloading Griffey and Dunn's salary would be a huge boost in upgrading the rest of the roster.

cincy14
06-29-2008, 08:40 PM
Dunn has a lot of playing time left in him, he's only 29 or so...

06-29-2008, 08:57 PM
The Phillies did just that in 2006. In July they traded away Abreu, Lidle, Bell, Franklin and Cormier for prospects, called up a bunch of their own prospects, and then palyed .600 ball the rest of the way. They finished just a few games out of the wild card, but then won the division the next year. They were 7 games below .500 when they made those moves. What stands out, is that they got nothing for those players, it was simply a move in a different direction.

So it can be done. I think it is clear that a change of direction would breath some fresh air into this franchise.

jmac
06-29-2008, 09:19 PM
My gripe is this.
Many act as if you either trade a top guy to a contender for "prospects" if you are out of it or visa versa.
However, why couldnt a team like the reds trade to get that big bat (example) that will help now and later.
With our starting pitching that will improve with experience, plus Bruce/Votto/etc , this team isnt a long way away.
Why not acquire the pieces you need for later , now?

SoTxRedsFan
06-30-2008, 11:15 AM
My gripe is this.
Many act as if you either trade a top guy to a contender for "prospects" if you are out of it or visa versa.
However, why couldnt a team like the reds trade to get that big bat (example) that will help now and later.
With our starting pitching that will improve with experience, plus Bruce/Votto/etc , this team isnt a long way away.
Why not acquire the pieces you need for later , now?

I don't see the top level prospects in the system that would bring in a "big bat". Frazier, Stubbs, Mes, etc are all good prospects, but I wouldn't expect them to bring back a game changer in a trade.

Griffey012
06-30-2008, 01:02 PM
If this did happen I wonder who would be next in line as the new reds whipping boy?

CWRed
06-30-2008, 01:05 PM
If this did happen I wonder who would be next in line as the new reds whipping boy?

EE would get it all instead of 1/3.

He got it!
06-30-2008, 01:22 PM
I don't agree with Dunn, but there is no doubt in my mind or many others that the wins will go up once we get KGJ off of this roster and out of the middle of our lineup.

mound_patrol
06-30-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't agree with Dunn, but there is no doubt in my mind or many others that the wins will go up once we get KGJ off of this roster and out of the middle of our lineup.

I completely agree. Dunn is still a run producer...Jr is not...Dunn does what he does in the 2 or 5 hole. Junior does almost nothing while sitting in a run producers spot.

Ahhhorsepoo
06-30-2008, 01:47 PM
WOW.. just WOW.. Dunn was batting right behind griffey and phillips.. not like he was batting 8th or 9th..

mound_patrol
06-30-2008, 02:03 PM
WOW.. just WOW.. Dunn was batting right behind griffey and phillips.. not like he was batting 8th or 9th..

And he doesn't get pitched to batting behind those guys. Why do you think he's always hit better in the 2nd spot? Do you think maybe its because they actually have to pitch to him? Batting 5th is a big reason Dunn never gets anything to really swing at.

Ghosts of 1990
06-30-2008, 02:21 PM

I couldn't agree more, the losing culture and lax no hustle attitude will leave with Junior. Get him out of here.