PDA

View Full Version : Nats' Cordero out for season.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-30-2008, 09:26 PM
That is, the Washington Reds :p: ;)

Nats lose reliever Cordero for season
Torn right labrum likely to sideline closer for 12 to 18 months
By Alden Gonzalez / MLB.com

This season, Chad Cordero has appeared in just six games, posting a 2.08 ERA with no saves. (Getty)
MLB Headlines

• Nats lose reliever Cordero for season
• NL All-Star races too close to call
• All-Star '08: Coverage | TICKETS | VOTE
• Big Papi confirms he'll miss All-Star Game
• Jettisoned Chacon clears waivers
• Trade Deadline: Coverage | Trade Talk
• Cubs' Ramirez to miss three for family
• Manny apologizes to traveling secretary
• More MLB Headlines

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page
• Cordero's career statistics
• VOTE NOW: Cast your All-Star ballot

MIAMI -- Just when you thought it couldn't get worse for the Nationals in terms of injuries, general manager Jim Bowden found out hours before his club's game against the Marlins on Monday that closer Chad Cordero would be out for the rest of the season with a torn right labrum.
The team did not specify when he sustained the injury.

An MRI performed on Monday revealed the labrum tear, and Cordero, who has been rehabbing in Viera, Fla., will fly out to his native California on Thursday to visit Dr. Lewis Yocum. Yocum will look at another MRI and decide whether Cordero will have surgery -- the likely scenario.

"I had a bullpen [session] on Thursday and I didn't feel comfortable, and I said something about it," Cordero said when reached by phone on Monday. "When I came off the [disabled list the first time], the shoulder was a little sore, but it was nothing.

"No pitcher gets away with [being healthy his entire career]. It's just my turn. It's better to get this fixed now."

Cordero is one of six players currently on the disabled list for the Nationals. Bowden went to visit Cordero in Viera last Monday, when the right-hander started to throw off the mound again and said that he was in the best shape of his life. At that point, Cordero was rehabbing a torn muscle in the back of the same shoulder, and the team was hopeful he would be activated after the All-Star break.

Cordero said the muscle is fine, but he missed the first part of the season with shoulder tendinitis, which affected his velocity and likely led to this injury.

"It's really unfortunate at this time because we have missed him so bad this first half," manager Manny Acta said. "We were looking forward to him coming back the second half to stabilize our bullpen better.

"But it's just another injury for us."

Jon Rauch, acting as the Nationals' closer in Cordero's place, has gone 4-1 with a 2.18 ERA and a career-high 16 saves this season.

Cordero hasn't pitched much this year. The 26-year-old right-hander originally went on the DL on April 4, retroactive to March 27, but after being activated on April 12, he was put back on the DL on May 2 and hasn't returned. This season, Cordero has appeared in just six games, posting a 2.08 ERA with no saves.

"It's very difficult getting through all that rehab," said Nationals pitching coach Randy St. Claire, who estimated a 12- to 18-month recovery period. "It's a lot of work, a lot of time and usually not a lot to look forward to.

"He probably was [throwing in pain]. He said it didn't hurt, but the thing with him was, he wasn't throwing one or two mph [slower]. He was like 10 mph off."

ChatterRed
06-30-2008, 10:00 PM
Deceiving title should get a warning. I didn't find it funny.

AccordinglyReds
06-30-2008, 10:06 PM
I kinda figured out who it was, but nice attempt at deception.

That sucks for the Nats and Cordero.

LouisvilleCARDS
06-30-2008, 10:08 PM
Ugh, thanks for the scare. :thumbdown

NorrisHopper30
06-30-2008, 10:10 PM
Got me.

foxfire123
06-30-2008, 10:34 PM
oooh you deserve a cyber-swat for that one! Bad SCR, Bad! Don't scare us like that! :eek:

Sean_CaseyRules
06-30-2008, 10:50 PM
Well I figured I would try and get some laughs since everyone around here seems to be real down. I thought y'all would find this amusing, sorry to make you guys mad.

Griffey012
06-30-2008, 11:01 PM
real down? did you miss the walk-off home run? theres nothing more of an upper than that!

mroby85
06-30-2008, 11:09 PM
I didn't get worked up, only because i read it while cordero was pitching in the 9th.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-01-2008, 02:39 PM
real down? did you miss the walk-off home run? theres nothing more of an upper than that!

I'm talkin about the general zen of the board. Just about everyone seems really upset about one thing or another.