Brandon Phillips 2b
Joey Votto 1b
Edwin Encarnacion 3b
Jay Bruce cf
David Ross c
Edinson Volquez p

Blue
07-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Another good lineup, but where is Kepp versus a lefty? I guess Dunn hits Maholm well, and you can't really sit Griffey after what he did last night.

JWP
07-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Another good lineup, but where is Kepp versus a lefty? I guess Dunn hits Maholm well, and you can't really sit Griffey after what he did last night.

Kepp has looked kind of lost ever since coming back from the DL. I would agree with this in any other situation, but sitting Kepp for a bit might be for the best. Hairston is still swinging a pretty hot bat, so Dusty might as well stick by him for now, especially when Kepp is struggling.

Other than that, I like the lineup. Dunn has hit pretty well from the 2-hole over his career, if I remember correctly.

I think batting Bruce 8th might be a good idea. He might see some better pitches batting in front of the pitcher. Getting hits will help him get his confidence back, which is really important, especially for a young guy. It's more important for Bruce to be getting good pitches than for Ross, I think. Of course, pitchers might still destroy him with offspeed stuff no matter where he bats.

thorn
07-01-2008, 06:09 PM
Also, wasn't Kep rushed back from the DL? He may not be 100% yet. Probably not a bad idea.

Noosh
07-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Keppinger is hitting .296 since coming back. I wouldn't call that lost, especially since the first few games he clearly was far from 100%. He had a double in each of the last two games against Cleveland and looked much better running around first base, and besides a first pitch swing last night he's still putting together better at-bats than most of the other hitters, as well as starting to hit it right back up the middle as he seems to do when he's at his best.

Griffey, Dunn, and Bruce have all been struggling against lefties and I would really like to see one of them sitting tonight to open up a spot for the team's most consistent hitter. Plus that leaves a nice power bat that can be used in a clutch situation if a righty pitcher comes in, like how Griffey was used last night.

However, discount everything I said if Kepp gave any word that his knee was still bothering him.

JWP
07-01-2008, 06:32 PM
Keppinger is hitting .296 since coming back. I wouldn't call that lost, especially since the first few games he clearly was far from 100%. He had a double in each of the last two games against Cleveland and looked much better running around first base, and besides a first pitch swing last night he's still putting together better at-bats than most of the other hitters, as well as starting to hit it right back up the middle as he seems to do when he's at his best.

Griffey, Dunn, and Bruce have all been struggling against lefties and I would really like to see one of them sitting tonight to open up a spot for the team's most consistent hitter. Plus that leaves a nice power bat that can be used in a clutch situation if a righty pitcher comes in, like how Griffey was used last night.

However, discount everything I said if Kepp gave any word that his knee was still bothering him.

Is he really? I could have sworn he was hitting in the .230s a few games ago. I probably should have checked the stats. :(

Either way, probably a good idea to take it slow with Kepp, especially if his knee is bothering him a bit.